SDSR 2015

Discussion in 'The Fleet' started by rn458scc, Mar 17, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the up and coming Strategic Defence and Security Review, what do people think is going to be the future of the Armed Forces:

- Less Ships
    - Smaller Army
    - Reduction in budget
    - All of the above
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

3. I was hoping the News reports weren't true!
  4. I think it will be difficult to make any significant cuts. What we may see is a loss of a bay class. We should get 12 new shiny MPRA's though.
  5. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

New reports are just that. The starting gun for SDSR hasn't been fired although it is true the Single Services and JFC are working up there submissions to get ahead of the timetable,

So, it's all speculation right now, but MMA is up there on the possible list given recent news articles but it really is open to speculation.

I, personally, think it will be a defining SDSR, given a resurgent Russia, China moving away from a brown water Navy and the rise of ISIS.
  6. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

In the lead up to the general election Cameron constantly sidestepped the 2% of GDP issue. He did say that current army numbers would not he cut and that promised equipment programmes would be met.

I don't think the RN or RAF have a lot of wriggle room in personnel numbers either.

That, just about, only leaves the money paid to servicemen and women so I would expect allowances to take a big hit; CEA, travel, separation will all get a serious look by the Treasury officials IMHO.

Remember, Defence Reviews no longer look at what the UK needs in the way of defence but how much the Treasury is willing to pay.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Not to mention that pensions across all three services take a far bit of the pot. These will become a fair target for the Treasury knowing that service personnel are unable to strike and that mass submission of 12-months notice would be tantamount to mutiny; e.g. the withdrawl of being able to commute your pension, and/or that you won't be able to draw your pension until you reach the national retirement age.
  8. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Given that no decisions on funding are yet taken, that Ministers are very clear publicly the manifesto is to be committed to in full, and that Defence is 'in the good books' I think we'll not do too badly.

More widely, given the SDSR hasn't yet really begun its too early to worry about leaking of options when its yet to define what it is that the UK wants to do.
  9. @Dusty31 - that hit has already happened. As of 1 April every regular service person who wasn't 45 in 2012 moved across to the new pension that has limited options for commutation, is only paid in full at state pension age (34% from leaving after age 40 until SPA) but also critically for the government came with a guarantee not to change it again for, I think, 25 years. Not much space for them to move into on the pension front.
  10. does that go for those now outside, under 45, who were on but not yet (obviously) claiming AFPS75? And, if so, were they planning on telling us at any point? Oddly enough civvies don't tend to read DCIs (or whatever they're called this week).

I remember when AFPS05 came in and we got letters of option to transfer - as one voice around the wardroom - " let me think about that for about 3"
  11. Nope. If you are in receipt of your pension it doesn't change. I don't think a preserved pension changes either. If you are still in service, were over 45 in Apr 2012 it doesn't change. If you are still in service and were under 45 in Apr 2012 then it's all change. I think it would take a big change in legislation to change a pension you are already in receipt of if its possible at all. It's only service after Apr 2015 that adds to the AFPS 15.
  12. SURELY...SURELY the RN can't take any more.
    the RAF on the other hand.....what a load of pony some of that is. Civvies in uniform is the best description for some of them
  13. wave_dodger

The same can equally be said of many matelots and pongos. Each service has their strengths and weaknesses.

IMHO this SDSR will have to truly consider the service package. We struggle to recruit, we struggle to retain, whilst acknowledging pay and pensions absorb a major amount of the Defence vote, seeking further savings there will be self defeating.
  14. Given that France and Germany have implemented modest budget increases do you see the UK following?

I think MPRA is a given, - I could see a small (c2500) uplift in RN personal to man the new carriers and help stop the manning crisis.

I cannot see any changes to fleet numbers?
  15. wave_dodger

Uplifting the MCT (the manning ceiling ) is a pointless gesture unless the retention issues are resolved, it would just be like pouring more water into a colander.

An MMA is still being debated - the requirement might well be understood - the funding is another matter.

I would probably agree, I don't see the fleet size altering markedly. I note the trial to share HMRC/Police/MoD costal and aviation assets. I wonder if thats a potential tack for SDSR, getting full into the comprehensive approach at home?

I would think resilience might be heavily pushed. At the last SDSR it was discussed but never seemed to take off.
  16. the only thing that will be 'strategic' about this review will be it's accounting
  17. must be starting soon (if not already)

any 'buzz's' on it?
  18. Sort harbour hassle out. Go a long way to sorting the retention problems out
  19. What definition of harbour hassle? Not being sarky, but it covers a huge variety of sins.
  20. I could list countless stories where harbour hassle nearly made me whack my chit in.

I never did but plenty have and I do not blame them.

Much of it involves incredibly poor management from command/wardroom that if put right, would not cost the RN anything.