SCRAPYARD IN POMPEY

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Tas-ape, Oct 25, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Serious question:
    Does anybody know if the scrappy in Pompey, located just as you entered on the left hand side is still on the go. I seem to remember seeing a couple of redundant black tubes on the beach at that time, but mind I am going back perhaps twenty plus years ago. 8)

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I assume you mean Harry Pounds Scrapyard in Tipner? Still there but closing down due to redevelopment planned for the area. Watch this space...

3. perhaps they will also build over you as well! Then we would have some peace and quiet round here!

4. sgtpepperband

Get back to work!!

5. The very one, many thanks for the info. 8)

6. 20 years ago you say... damn, there go my plans for a submarine in my back garden to store my beer in...

7. sgtpepperband

I remember a couple of Chefs on board who were gonna go outside and open a theme restaurant moored on a river somwhere, and looked into buying an old Diesel Boat hull lying in Fareham Creek.

They're were going for an affordable £10K, which the Chef's were willing to pay, but Lloyd's of London would not insure them, so that scuppered their dreams!

Imagine posh people paying West End prices for Cheesy Hammy Eggies and Babies Heads with their Vinc Collapso?!

8. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Yeah, but just think of the number of insurance claims there'd be - all those pissed up people trying to get up a narrow vertical ladder, and then what about the trip hazards on the casing, and can you imagine the potential nightmanre of all those people trying to use the small number of heads (and the consequences of getting the discharge valves set wrong!)?

9. sgtpepperband

True, but it was in the days before we were living in a litigation culture. It would be a cracking idea for a restaurant though? Theme of the day - get pissed; special door for students - called the exit...

10. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Would that be the horizontal circular exit up forrard that has an inner and an outer door? :twisted:

11. I think it was a great idea! I'd have been willing to invest in that! It could have been adapted to make it more accessible and make the interior safer. Damn Lloyds - had they been in London, moored along the Embankment I'd have been a regular customer. :lol: Cheesy hammy eggy with a selected ale, red lights on in the background, and just before the bill came someone shouting at the top of his voice FIRE! FIRE! FIRE! :lol: Just think...

12. Gives a whole new meaning to 'going home by tube'.... :D

13. sgtpepperband

Boom boom...

14. The two submarines in question were still there up until about 18months ago.

Apparently the yard has an old tank that it uses to pull water borne scrap out onto dry land.

Isnt there an old LCT there at the minute waiting for a willing buyer?

They did a piece on the history channels "a small piece of history" about 2 years ago.

15. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

It's ex-HMS Striker, which used to be up in Rosyth until 1997.

Levers

16. I remember when rosyth was shutting down,spending hours talking about setting up manager training courses on old ton boats and old o boats.but we decided as most of the officers wouldn't understand about managerial training we were on to a loser!

17. Is it the same HMS Striker that was tied up in 'Derry in the '50s as a depot ship? If so there must be a helluva lot of rust holding it together. Reminds me of going ashore in 'Derry with a couple of young kids on the wharf occasionally,

Give us a pawnee( penny ) mister
    Haven't got any money
    Give us a cigarette then
    Haven't got any cigarettes
    What the f**k ya doin' ashore then

Memory kicked in 'twas HMS Stalker in "Derry in the '50s

:lol:

18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

19. There's Google Earth placemark found here - just click on "Open This Placemark" (assuming you have Google Earth - and if you don't - why the hell not?!?) and it labels all the ships in the Dockyard. The image on Google Earth has been dated to summer leave (ie August) 2004, hence 2 Basin being full and the Spinnaker Tower not being finished.

The first of the two O Boats that were there left about 5 years ago, HMS OTUS, to be towed to Germany as a museum attraction. She's now in Sassnitz, fully restored (and looking very shiny). The second one, HMS ORACLE, was sold for scrap last year but sunk under tow off Gibraltar en route to Turkey. Sad story here (about a quarter of way down).

20. It's ex-HMS Striker, which used to be up in Rosyth until 1997.

Levers[/quote]

Was Striker based in Gib in the 70s - I seem to recall an LST there with a dog as a mascot ?