Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Scottish/Welsh/NI Devolution

Would you be happy to see Scotland/Wales/NI have complete independence

• Total voters
CheefTiff said:
yeah we know - you keep yourselves busy beating up English footie fans !
[/quote]

And I would lay the blame for that on Mr Blair, Mr McConnell and the English tabloid press who have blown the whole world cup thing up out of all proportion.

Peter

To all

As far as I am concerned the discussion is open all, race, gender, sexual orientation and any other beliefs not withstanding. I asked for an only English vote so the result may reflect how they, the English, thought.

Nutty

Thank you for the clarification Nutty, and I have backed you nomination to be the next Queen.

I have not tampered with your vote, partly as am myself am not sure what the answer should be, and partly to further offend the mores ensitive amongst my southern neigbhors.

Peter

Old_Hand said:
At this moment in time I don't think Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland could be self sufficient without the finacial funding coming out from England. What commodities have they got that would enable them to survive as totally Independant States without such funding?.

I presume that if they became independent, it would be as members of the EU so will have finacial support from there. Probably from the subs that England would pay.

If this were to take place, just what would happen to british operationoverseas and british forces? Also what would become of the commonwealth and will England alone be a major superpower like now? I would hate to see my country fade into the shadows and lose all overseas respect.

As a proud Ulsterman, and an equally proud British Subject, the idea of devolution, to me at the start, seemed to make sense. We all have our particular regions and equal pride in those differences. The biggest mistake from Westminster is not giving the English their own particular parliament to decide issues that realt to England alone. People argue that England is 80% of the UK, and the MPs from England reflect that..but that isn't true. Not when we have a two party system. I remember Johm Major's Government having to rely on Ulster Unionist MPs to get a majority of the house.. is it fair that a region of the UK with 1.8 mil people has that amount of power? If we are going to go into a federated system, then it has to be done properly, but with Westminster retaining all those powers that equate to the security of our country ie the UK. I suppose the USA would be the relevant template. It is the differences in us that makes us better than the rest, because our differences add up to what it is to be British.
Oh.. just while I'm here.. 1-0 to the Ulstermen!! ;)

Skully said:
If this were to take place, just what would happen to british operationoverseas and british forces? Also what would become of the commonwealth and will England alone be a major superpower like now? I would hate to see my country fade into the shadows and lose all overseas respect.

How the spoils would be divided up would have to be by negotiation, and I suspect the future relationships would depend very much on how such negotiations went. Having British forces coud of course be one alternative, but there could also be other models to consider.

As to whether England remains as important as Britain today will depend very much on the English and how they go about things, after all influence is as much about how you use it as what you have to use. Mind you as apparently we Scots cost you so much, if you get that money that would have been spent on us how much influence and status can yu buy.

Peter

Latest Threads