Scottish/Welsh/NI Devolution

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Nutty, Jun 19, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you are English would you be happy to see Scotland/Wales/NI have complete independence from the rest of the UK leaving England also as an Independent State.

Nutty

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes, providing the costs of the split were bourne equally and that there were no handouts afterwards. I have no problems, althought I feel it would be a sad day if it happened, with England becoming a solo Country, I just wonder how Scotland and Wales would exist if the support from England ceased.
    I think that in time Ireland will be reunited, a subject that I certainly wouldn''t want to comment further on.

3. Are you trying to make this a closed discussion, keeping thos nasty Scots, Welsh and Irish out?

Peter

4. No, being that my brother and I are the only english in the family, the rest being s.Irish and Scottish, what affect would this have on our family? Dividing the countries, like it has been said in this thread, would residents who had moved to the UK from Scot/Wales etc need a visa?

There is nothing to be gained if there is a split and co-independance.

5. Peter

Yes, but you keep telling me its a question for the English to make their own minds up about so I am asking the English. NI is certainly split about their future. Scotland shout loud and then appear to back away when pushed. The Welsh have a North South divide as to Union.

Nutty

6. At this moment in time I don't think Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland could be self sufficient without the finacial funding coming out from England. What commodities have they got that would enable them to survive as totally Independant States without such funding?.

7. Leeks,Haggis and Whisky?

8. North Sea oil. But that's only going to last another 30 or so years.

What Scotland would need, but doesn't have, is competant polititians!

I'm not English (which is Nutty's criteria for voting on the poll) so I've been quiet on this one, but I have to say, I would hate to see any separation.

Question is, just what is England's economy relying on these days? There's no manufacturing to speak of, and only a handful of insurance/banking firms so what is it keeping England afloat?

9. Not only do I believe that this would be a nonsense, I believe that the investment so far in devolution has been an utter waste of billions of pounds of British taxpayers money, not to mention Scottish oil revenue.

The Scots have a massive drugs problem that has grown while inordinate amounts of money have been frittered away on the Scottish Parliament.

10. No surprises here it seems to me. It is probably only a matter of time before the nationalists in Scotland get their way and achieve full independence. I'm not so sure the Welsh or Irish would follow suit as I credit them with more sense.

This DisUnited Kingdom should no longer be known as Great Britain

I for one am in favour of England going it alone and chucking out the other three itinerant nations as they no longer display any loyalty to either crown or country so sod em

11. Check out the Daily Mail on line guys - it seems devolution is becoming a headline news again.

12. The whole devolution argument was always flawed. Latest worries concerning us having a Scottish Prime Minister rightly concern the truly English among us.

As far as I am concerned, devolution has woken a sleeping giant. That giant will slumber no more until England is independent of the other three nations with itys own government, justice system and national flag.

13. Ireland ought to be united, it's logical, but I'm not keen on their fundamentalist Protestants coming to England - so only if they were NOT allowed to choose. The Northern Welsh could opt for independence leaving South Wales united with England. The Cornish Nationalists could declare UDI as could the Scots. The oil is not automatically Scottish though - the Orkneys were sold to the English Crown by the Danish Crown in the 18th century, though geography might play a part in any international dispute resolution - and realpolitik! Also the Orchedians might decide to stay with England or more sensibly attach themselves to Norway or Denmark. Scotland would then become reliant upon two key industries: tourism and innovation. If they decoupled themselves from the EU however they would also have claims over their extensive fisheries, though the stocks remaining might render this a Pyrric legacy!

14. I fear most of the radical protestants are more likely to come to us, being mainly Ulster Scots, descendants of the Scots given land grants by King Billy to subdue the Irish.

I have pointed out before that the Orkneys and the nearby Sheland Islands are Scots, and have been for a considerable period before the 18th C.

from Wikipedia

"In 1468 Orkney and Shetland were pledged by Christian I of Denmark and Norway for the payment of the dowry of his daughter Margaret, betrothed to James III of Scotland, and as the money was never paid, their connection with the crown of Scotland has been perpetual. In 1471 James bestowed the castle and lands of Ravenscraig, in Fife, on William, Earl of Orkney, in exchange for all his rights to the earldom of Orkney, which, by an Act of the Parliament of Scotland, passed on February 20, 1472, was annexed to the Scottish crown."

As to fishing rights, as a result of total disinterest by Westminster it is likely they will be worthless to any one before long, on the otherhand an independant Scotland may well copy the success of the Irish in using their diaspora to generate inward investment and regeneration of the Scots engineering industry, although there is already far more than whisky tourism and golf going on up here.

Peter

15. [quote="!As to fishing rights, as a result of total disinterest by Westminster it is likely they will be worthless to any one before long, on the otherhand an independant Scotland may well copy the success of the Irish in using their diaspora to generate inward investment and regeneration of the Scots engineering industry, although there is already far more than whisky tourism and golf going on up here.[/quote]

yeah we know - you keep yourselves busy beating up English footie fans !

[/quote]

16. [/quote]

And I would lay the blame for that on Mr Blair, Mr McConnell and the English tabloid press who have blown the whole world cup thing up out of all proportion.

Peter

17. To all

As far as I am concerned the discussion is open all, race, gender, sexual orientation and any other beliefs not withstanding. I asked for an only English vote so the result may reflect how they, the English, thought.

Nutty

18. Thank you for the clarification Nutty, and I have backed you nomination to be the next Queen.

I have not tampered with your vote, partly as am myself am not sure what the answer should be, and partly to further offend the mores ensitive amongst my southern neigbhors.

Peter

19. I presume that if they became independent, it would be as members of the EU so will have finacial support from there. Probably from the subs that England would pay.

20. If this were to take place, just what would happen to british operationoverseas and british forces? Also what would become of the commonwealth and will England alone be a major superpower like now? I would hate to see my country fade into the shadows and lose all overseas respect.