Scottish tourist attraction bans English tourist's

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by 5dits, Jul 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DT

I didnt want to go anyway

2. FFS!
    RR

3. What a wonderful test of our national character and tolerance. I'm both English and ex-RN so I pride myself in being able to take a joke like this without getting hot under the collar about it. This bizarre but typically Scottish initiative has probably succeeded beyond the creator's wildest dreams by generating free publicity in a national newspaper and the story is bound to be picked up by other outlets.

4. Where's Fink?

5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

It may be a joke but its in very poor taste.

Emailing company and telling them that I'm reporting them to the CRE for racial discrimination. Overkill - yes, but having suffered several weeks of Scotland recently I'm totally fed up of the "english are evil" agenda.

EDIT

This is the email that I've sent to the Scottish Human Rights / Equality commision :)

I noted with interest the story in the Daily Telegraph on 22 July that the owners of the “Edinburgh Dungeon†had banned English visitors for one day in ‘revenge’ for defeat in a battle in 1298. English visitors were only being allowed access to the museum if they signed allegiance to Scotland, while other visitors were being allowed in if they smashed English artefacts.

I am about to write to the company to complain about what I feel is a deeply offensive promotion that is in very poor taste. However, I would like to know whether such an act is in breach of racial discrimination laws, as it singles out a single minority for deeply humiliating treatment and encourages other nations to demean and trash their cultural heritage.

I would be grateful if you could advise whether any laws have been breached with this promotion, and how one would go about making a formal complaint against the company in question?

Many thanks,

6. Just hope that your name's not De Menteith or Menteith - he was the Scottish Knight who betrayed Wallace !

And if my history is still accurate, didn't some of the clans fight for Longshanks ?

I wouldn't worry about it too much, besides it's only the English who are racist these days (if you believe the meeja and Mel Gibbs !!)

;)

7. I think it's time the Jock's either put-up or shut-up! They have for centuries blamed 'England' for all of their woes. Their recent track record on the building of their parliament building and the last election fiasco, without any English involvement, shows them for what they are. If they still hate us that much then why stay in the union? However, I doubt they have the bottle to go for full independence. There are a lot of good things and good people to come out of Scotland but for heavens sake shake off the past and grow up!

Not too good on history but I believe that in every single Entland/Scotland battle there were Jock's on both sides. They don't even like themselves!

8. The real problem is we all know how badly the English react when their pissers are pulled, always more fun when you know you will get a good bite.

By the way I think it is in fact owned by an English company and is an offshoot of the London Dungeon.

9. That's it ! blame London again ........ ;P

10. Well wouldn't you

:thumright:

11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Wallace was not 'murdered', he was a traitor and was justly executed. Fictional films don't change that. High ime we English cut the excessive subsidy we pay to try and get the Scotch to stay at home.

12. The English also did far worse to their own at the time; but we don't brood over it.

13. When will people stop having a pop about something that happened 700-odd years ago? You can't blame the current generation for things that happened in the past.

I would like to know how far Purple Twiglet gets with the complaint tho - just for fun. Couldn't give a toss myself. It's about time they realised once and for all that we own them. Many battles have been fought to prove this..... Oops, that's me off in the past again.

14. Make your mind up if Wallace was a traitor then we are just the same as you and your home is our home etc, or if we don't belong in your home then he was not a traitor but an honourable freedom fighter.

15. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

But, as former US Attorney General Ramsey Clark once noted, "one person's terrorist is another person's freedom-fighter".

Irrespective of the intended "fun" element, try reversing the roles and considering the outcome; all too often there appears to be a racist anti-English element to Scottish politics which many dismiss as a "bit of fun", while these same apologists would be up in arms were an English institution to retaliate in kind. What would be the reaction if, say, the Tower of London were to charge Scots an extra entrance fee to cover the board and lodging of Mary Queen of Scots during her incarceration; this charge would be waived were the visitors to renounce their Scottish roots and sign an oath of allegiance to England; any thoughts from the North of the Border contingent?

16. And just to upset that other lot...I will quote that Irish pooftah man of letters Oscar Wilde who said of the Scots....
    "A pinched and whining breed with a calamatous desire to drink themselves into oblivion"
    I could not have put it better myself!

17. I share the sentiment expressed by the gentleman below, in the comments to that article.

I agree.

18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Surely the same could be said of some members of RR! :thumright:

19. That's the whole problem with the argument, though. It holds firm to the "them and us" principle. To argue that Mary, Queen of Scots, owes rent to the English asserts that she was firmly Scottish and nothing to do with the English Crown. That's exactly the same as the English being excluded from a Scottish event where the Scots claimed to be free of England.

20. Touché Sgtpepperband