Scottish Referendum.

Discussion in 'RFA' started by C.Morgan, Jun 29, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. How will the Referendum in September affect future applicants into the RFA if it's a YES vote and Scotland get's independence?
  2. Subsunk

Subsunk Badgeman Book Reviewer

I can't see it being a show-stopper for candidates of the right calibre but I can see it being a subject for discussion at interview so have an intelligent comment or 2 at the short trail.
  3. Do you mean have a few intelligent comments in September 2014 (when the interviews are due) or after September for future applicants?
  4. Face Palm.jpg .........
  5. Given the small number of personnel from Eire serving in our Armed Forces that I have come across over the years at a rough guess I'd say none. When/If Scotland goes is own way you'll still be serving the same sovereign no matter which side of the border you live on.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I agree, borders are fluid when it comes to the British Isles and a good man or woman can and will go where they want. When Scotland gets her independence - I think it's inevitable in time but my money is on the 'No' vote this referendum - there will be a Scottish military, but I think you will still find, as with the Irish, that some will choose to cross the border and I expect they will be accepted. Sure, why wouldn't they be?

7. Why?
    Because they are FRISPS
    I hope for a yes vote, this means that Labour will never again get into government in an English/Welsh parliament.
    If we English had the vote they would certainly be independent.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. What are FRISPS?
  9. It stands for "Friendly, Rather Intelligent Scottish Person"

It's slang that Scots call one another, next time you meet a Scot, be sure to class him a frisp to be show that you know about Scottish culture and you want to be friends.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I'm not sure if you're joking.....gonna bite regardless. I am Scottish and I have never once heard that.

Best Regards.
  11. I think the proper designation is 'F*****g Frisp'.

Sent via my marvelous magical electronic digital ****ing device.
  12. Well it's not is it, as that would be two '****ings' next to each other.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. It's called karmic return. The down side of conquest.
  14. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

we still have Janners and Georides. We won't sink without Jocks.

15. Now I'm going to call 'foul' here. If I was of a non pink persuasion and was called a n*gg*r rather than just Scottish, I could take GREAT exception at being called a FRISP. Is Slim going to publish what it actually means? And justify it? If I write the famous N word in this part of the forum I'll be flamed.

Just a little nibble - honest........
    • Like Like x 1
  16. It's just words, S-B. They know not what they say.

Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Just for you SB
    It means

Fkin Right Ignorant Scottish Pig

For info both my kids are Scots and they are highlanders, not Sasanachs.

Many a Scot makes the mistake of calling English folk sasanach when the real meaning is:

Sasanach means Lowlander. And unfortunately applies to anyone that doesn't live in the Highlands. Irish Gaelic and Scottish Gaelic are very similar but since dialect has evolved over the centuries the original meaning of the word has been forgotten.

So Glaswegians are sasanachs:drunken:
  18. Slim I am perfectly aware of what it means but you are wrong, or at least one version is, as I had the R as Repugnant. I’m banging on about it is it touches a bit of a nerve. Being a Jock Twat is OK, but a FRISP is over my line, a bit like the difference between being ‘dusky’ or the Gibson word.
    Maybe we should start using FRESP (FRWSP dosn’t really work!)

I am from Helensburgh, which as you will recall from British geography at school, is one end of the Highland/Lowland fault line.

People from Glasgow are Weegies and I would love to be present should you wish to call one a Sassenach to his face!
    To show my diversity, I’m married to an English woman – and my dogs are Spanish!
  19. Sasanach in Irish Gaelic means English person and was also used to refer to Irish Protestants (but let's not drag religion into this). As Scots Gaelic developed from Irish Gaelic - don't shoot me, it's just a fact - I'm guessing the highlanders were insulting the lowlanders when they called them Sasanachs. And all this goes to underline my original point that, bloody history and politics aside, we are all related. One big happy family. :angel12: