Scottish Independence

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Stuart_G, Feb 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As I was watching the news earlier this week, in which Alex Salmond was ranting about his Scottish Independence Referendum, I started to wonder what would happen to the Royal Navy if Scotland did become independent from the United Kingdom. There so much to think about, firstly the personnel. Would they still be eligible to join as part of the commonwealth? Then there is Faslane too what would become of it? I am very curious about this and obviously this is completely hypothetical as it is thankfully unlikely it will ever happen. I will be grateful for any help.
  2. Losing Scotland would be terrible - a bit like taking a stone out of your shoe.
  3. My Bold.
    And not many come down here to the land of corrupt Governments and kidi fiddlers :-(
  4. weather's nicer though.
  5. !
  6. The SNP are fiercely anti-nuclear, they have said quite clearly that the submarines would not be welcome in an independent Scotland. Indeed they have made noises in the past about exploring the potential for putting the issue to a vote pre-independence too.

The Tories were emphasising this quite strongly when the announcement was made regarding the moving of the remaining Trafalgar class to Faslane in 2017. I suspect under a Tory government there may be some change there, indeed the various Devon based Tory MPs have practically been promising it.
  7. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

He might be a helmet, but I've never seen him ranting.

They have to win the right to vote, win the vote and then win the following election. You just worry yourself about winning over your AFCO.
  8. He can F**k right off with his independance vote, if the uneducated masses vote for it and win, I'll be crossing the border :arrow:
    • Like Like x 1
  9. witsend

See ya later fannybaws, its only a matter of time (Maybe not in our time).
  10. See ya later fannybaws, its only a matter of time (Maybe not in our time).[/quote]

I for one hope it is in our time.
  11. Was wondering how long it would take you to come and post something in here, you sad, sad man! :roll:
  12. Why, for agreeing with the SNP?
  13. Nope, for being your usual, scottish hating self. You really need to take a look at yourself.
  14. My reasons for want Scottish independance has nothing to do with my dislike of certain elements of Scottish society, I'd like to see a independant England and believe it will become a reality when the Scots go their own way, closely followed by the Welsh and Irish.
  15. The SNP are largely talking about establishing a confederacy of nations at the moment whereby Scotland would retain Sterling and the Monarchy while allowing Scots to continue joining up and maintaining British bases around Scotland. A confederacy means that there would still be significant links between the respective political parties north of the border and their southern partners which should mean the safety of Faslane et al. By any means, even if full independence was achieved, I doubt Westminster would negotiate away Faslane. Nor do I believe that Scotland or Westminster would prevent Scots from joining the English armed forces. I doubt the workers in Rosyth will be happy though.
  16. witsend

I for one hope it is in our time.[/quote]

Firstly, you've been on here long enough, try quoting which does'nt make you look like "Kenny the tiger". After the negotiations, no doubt Cumbria will be given to Scotland in a swap for Faslane. London will be fed up listening to dripping cunts who live 1000 yards from Mr Singh's corner shop, but have to catch the ferry or drive 60 miles for a pint of milk & loaf of bread. The transportation of undesirables will start immediately with a priority list of "Kenny's", which your currently heading.

Be carefull what you wish for "tiger".
  17. Certain - You should really watch how you portrey yourself acorss the internet, as it seems in the other threads you have posted in that you have a great dislike for ALL elements of the scottish society.

When - No not ' When ' , the word you were looking for is IF I believe that 95% of the scottish population does not want independance, myself included. We still are a seperate country within the united kingdom, we have our own identity, much like England, Wales and Northern Ireland does.

I for one am proud to be british, you should be too. But it seems your to caught up in your own ways to do this.
  18. Why on earth would you want an independent England, as an Englishman I will willingly admit that we have the most diluted, decadent, sorry excuse for a society and national identity of all the 'home nations'. I truly hope that the Union is maintained, however having lived in Scotland I can see why some would be keen to remove themselves from English dominance (economic arguments aside) - socially I would far rather live in Scotland than most of England.
  19. witsend

You miss the point, "Kenny" lives in Cumbria.
  20. Each to there own gent's, and like I posted early I'd like to see an independant Scotland, hopefully in my lifetime. However I do note the comment that 95% of the Scottish don't want independance! Proud to be British, yes I am. But even I'm even prouder to be English.