Scottish Independence

finknottle said:
NotmeChief said:
I reckon it's a brill idea for them to go independent and rebuild the wall.

Then us underpaid buggers would be able to afford a foreign holiday by going north.

As long as you bring a fat wallet you will be welcomed with open arms.

To be fair Finky, we would welcome them even if they were broke, as they may well be without us to prop them up.

slim

War Hero
Perhaps we are approaching this from the wrong angle. Instead of complaining that Scotland has free University courses and Wales has free prescriptions we should be lambasting out English MPs as to why the English electorate are not enjoying these same privileges.

slim said:
Perhaps we are approaching this from the wrong angle. Instead of complaining that Scotland has free University courses and Wales has free prescriptions we should be lambasting out English MPs as to why the English electorate are not enjoying these same privileges.

Exactly, Wales and Scotland have decided to spend their allocation this way, how come England chooses to be different, does it not value the concept of having a good university education.

slim said:

Something to do with NuLiebour whips calling in all the MPs from these areas to vote on items that are purely for English citizens' benefit only perhaps ?

Just a thought.....

whitemouse said:
slim said:

Something to do with NuLiebour whips calling in all the MPs from these areas to vote on items that are purely for English citizens' benefit only perhaps ?

Just a thought.....

Much more to do with the fees thing being a Gordon stealth tax, he is not going to admit it was a bad idea.

Maxi_77 said:
whitemouse said:
slim said:

Just a thought.....

Much more to do with the fees thing being a Gordon stealth tax, he is not going to admit it was a bad idea.

Do any of them 'admit' anything ? - honesty, integrity and a thought for the people is not in the party mandate.

remains to be seen whether GB will 'see' his bad ideas if, or when, the election occurs - but then, his predecessor thought he walked on water too ;)

slim

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
slim said:

Exactly, Wales and Scotland have decided to spend their allocation this way, how come England chooses to be different, does it not value the concept of having a good university education.

Unfortunately Maxi England does not get an allocation. This is where the problem lies.

slim said:
Maxi_77 said:
slim said:

Unfortunately Maxi England does not get an allocation. This is where the problem lies.

Yes it does, Westminster collects all the cash in a big pot, it hands out a few bawbees to the Scots Welsh and Irish, what is left in the pot is Englands allocation. Now because in some peoples eyes the English are pig headed they allow the UK government to divi this up rather than do it themselves

slim

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
slim said:
Maxi_77 said:
slim said:

Yes it does, Westminster collects all the cash in a big pot, it hands out a few bawbees to the Scots Welsh and Irish, what is left in the pot is Englands allocation. Now because in some peoples eyes the English are pig headed they allow the UK government to divi this up rather than do it themselves

No problems with that Maxi, however in all fairness it should be divided on a per head basis with each country being the same value per head of population.

slim said:
No problems with that Maxi, however in all fairness it should be divided on a per head basis with each country being the same value per head of population.

The only problem with that is that some services cost more to supply in some parts of the country, and in some parts of the country there is more need for some services. You either move the money arround the country a bit, or move the people. Now how do you fancy Wokingham having it's fair share of the unemployed from the north east for example, or would you rather have a whip round and send their unemployment pay up to them?

slim

War Hero
Maxi_77 said:
slim said:

The only problem with that is that some services cost more to supply in some parts of the country, and in some parts of the country there is more need for some services. You either move the money arround the country a bit, or move the people. Now how do you fancy Wokingham having it's fair share of the unemployed from the north east for example, or would you rather have a whip round and send their unemployment pay up to them?

Maxi
Believe it or not Wokingham has its fair share of the unemployed. I am one of them, however due to forward planning on my part the government will not give me job seekers allowance or any other benefits. Now if I move to my place in Wales (the capital of incapacity benefits) perhaps I would be entitled to incapacity benefit.
As a former resident of the North East who still visits twice a year I have noticed that their are more vacancies there than here in Wokingham. However too many are not prepared to work for the minimum wages on offer and prefer to remain on benefits.

slim said:
Maxi_77 said:
slim said:

Maxi
Believe it or not Wokingham has its fair share of the unemployed. I am one of them, however due to forward planning on my part the government will not give me job seekers allowance or any other benefits. Now if I move to my place in Wales (the capital of incapacity benefits) perhaps I would be entitled to incapacity benefit.
As a former resident of the North East who still visits twice a year I have noticed that their are more vacancies there than here in Wokingham. However too many are not prepared to work for the minimum wages on offer and prefer to remain on benefits.

I know there are a few odd people unemployed in Wokingham, used to know a few when I lived there. The big problem is that as a percentage of the population they are rarer in Wokingham than in Geordie land.

Now I know we all have our pride but I for one would not take a pay cut to get off the dole, I'm not that daft. Now I know that they do have tax credits etc to make up the difference, but if some one has been on the dole for any length of time they will have no savings and not be considered a reasonable risk for legal credit so how do they fund the period between the last Giro and the tax credit kicking in, especially as it can take months. At the moment there are too many obstacle for amny to return to work.

ps Glasgow is supposed to be good for incapacity too if the thought of taking the cash in Wales is too much for you. You could also benefit from all the additional government cash spent up here too.