Scottish Independence

I'm all for independence for everybody who wants it and devolution must have been the green light. What I don't understand is, if the separate countries of the UK have devolved government and vote in their own parliaments, why are we still wasting money on Scottish, Welsh and Northern Ireland Offices? These have to be staffed with civil servants and have ministers and Secs of State, even if they are now double-hatted.

Fully agree with Maxi about London being a drain on all our resources. It's not as if we don't pay through the nose for almost everything when we visit and there must be billions spent in the city on a weekly basis, so why do our taxes have to be used to support the Capital?

Maxi_77 said:
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
Course the Scots don't want full independence - if they did it would financially cripple them as we (England) would hopefully stop subsidising them with our money.

They would have to pay for their own NHS, their own Education and University system, etc and would have to increase taxes considerably to maintain a status quo.

Even if they did go independent, I dont think we down here in England would see much of that financial saving back in our pockets though.

And who says if they did go it alone they would want to join the EU?

One does get ever so slightly pissed of when one gets nobbled as a sunsidy junky, when the reality is that even more of our tax is spent on the good citizens of London than gets spent on ourselves. The biggest subsidy junkies of all are Londoners, and perhaps if we all didn't have to pay for them we would all be better of.

Fully agree about the subsidy spongers - how come the government are talking about funding a new Thames Barrier scheme as London is not allowed to be flooded but they dont give a stuff about Gloucestershire, Worcestershire, Yorkshire etc and tell their local councils it's their responsibility.

But the Scots are still spongers - We still subsidise you :thumright:

KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:

There are quite a few who would argue more eloquently than I can that you are in fact wrong. Westminster has consistently fudge the figures on what Scotland contributes to the economy for it's own reasons. When asked to identy sources of revenue more clearly the 'to difficult' flag come out. I have often wondered why Maggie who was adept at getting rid of unneccessary expediture did every thing she could to stop any Scottish move to independance, was it her desire to maintain the last vestiges of empire or that she knew the true financial balance.

dunkers

War Hero
Can I just point out that very few Scots voted SNP because they favoured independence.
Most who voted SNP did so because they were the only credible alternative to Labour, which everyone was fed up of.

dunkers said:
Can I just point out that very few Scots voted SNP because they favoured independence.
Most who voted SNP did so because they were the only credible alternative to Labour, which everyone was fed up of.

As the Torie down south seem to be incapable of making themselves electable independance may be the only way of getting shot of NuLabor.

KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
Maxi_77 said:
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
Course the Scots don't want full independence - if they did it would financially cripple them as we (England) would hopefully stop subsidising them with our money.

They would have to pay for their own NHS, their own Education and University system, etc and would have to increase taxes considerably to maintain a status quo.

Even if they did go independent, I dont think we down here in England would see much of that financial saving back in our pockets though.

One does get ever so slightly pissed of when one gets nobbled as a sunsidy junky, when the reality is that even more of our tax is spent on the good citizens of London than gets spent on ourselves. The biggest subsidy junkies of all are Londoners, and perhaps if we all didn't have to pay for them we would all be better of.

A wee hit harsh me old china, all donations gratefully received. =)

At the end of the day and I think I may have stated this earlier, if you have no quality English material to lead you, then you are more than welcome to borrow some of our quality politicians.

dhoby_bucket said:
Maybe if there were a English National Party (ENP) then they might offer a credible opposition to the so called "New Labour" tossers...

Setting up a new party wouldn't solve the problem as half the people would be the same Tory w*ankers who think the way to play the game is to attack your own party rather than the competition.

finknottle said:
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:
Maxi_77 said:
KLNA-Cessna-Jockey said:

A wee hit harsh me old china, all donations gratefully received. =)

At the end of the day and I think I may have stated this earlier, if you have no quality English material to lead you, then you are more than welcome to borrow some of our quality politicians.

When you have some QUALITY politicians, you are more than welcome to let us have them - in the mean time we get lumbered with what you dumped on us already - including the PM !

Is this the same PM who is making the right moves to get our troops out of Iraq, I would have thought you would have been pleased about that? :yawn:

NotmeChief

Banned
I reckon it's a brill idea for them to go independent and rebuild the wall.

Then us underpaid buggers would be able to afford a foreign holiday by going north.

NotmeChief said:
I reckon it's a brill idea for them to go independent and rebuild the wall.

Then us underpaid buggers would be able to afford a foreign holiday by going north.

As long as you bring a fat wallet you will be welcomed with open arms.