Scottish independence referendum

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by dunkers, Sep 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Yes I agree

2. No I disagree

0 vote(s)
  3. Undecided

0 vote(s)
  4. I don't have the vote, but I agree

0 vote(s)
  5. I don't have the vote, but I disagree

0 vote(s)
  1. Alex Salmond has announced a Bill in the Scottish Parliament to provide a referendum on Scottish independence.

How will you vote, or how would you vote if you could?

Personally - NO from me.

PS by "I don't have the vote" I mean "I'm not a Jock so I can't vote in the independence referendum."
  2. If it means that we in the South don't have to subsidise their, Free OAP care, Free prescriptions, Free hospital parking, Free University tuition, and the other hideous host of horrors subsidised by the English tax payers, I'd just let them declare independance. Noticed that Mr First Minister didn't call for any independance until after the Royal Bank of Scotland was bailed out.
  3. i personally believe that it is long overdue that we became independant. Why not??? Scotland has its problems, but every country does. Im sure the SNP will give it a good crack at running a proper country and undoubtly fukc it up....but hey ho its all in the name off fun
  4. If Scotland became independent it would immediately be subsumed by the EU, thereby negating whatever independence it had earned.
  5. Which is why I would most definitely vote no! But then having left the country 10 years ago and only ever go back to visit the parentals, I really don't feel I should have a say.......... :roll: I wonder if Sean Connery will be able to vote in it from the Bahamas or wherever it is he lives??? :?
  6. As I understand it Salmond is arguing that as a key element of the independence policy, and frankly to act as an economic operator in the European context Scotland would have to comply with most of the legislation anyway, as the Scandinavian and other neighbouring countries have to anyway.

Anyway, whilst I'm Scots I'm not resident so wouldn't have a vote, but I don't think it would be a good idea. Scotland doesn't have a reasonable industrial or economic base from which to trade from, those industries that are trading are quite portable. I'm not convinced that the available revenue would be able to fund the various infrastructure elements required to support independent sovereignty.
  7. "Alex Salmond has embarked on a canny strategy of warning opposition party MSPs that if they deny the Scottish people the right to a say on Scotland's constitutional future, they will have to explain that to the voters who gave them their jobs when the next Holyrood election arrives."

canny see why everyone cant have a vote of yes or no before they even start getting as far as referendums and involving Westminster as it would no doubt save a bucket load of cash and time.
  8. The SNP doing its publicity thing again.

No chance they haven't got a clear majority and even if they run a referendum it won't prove very much because the Sovereign is The Queen .Scotland has never been independant before 1707 it had its own
    King After 1707 it continued with a parliament untill the Scots MP's bankrupted the treasury by funding the disasterous Darien Expedition.
    they then sold off their rights to the Westminster Parliament !!

The Scottish Parliament is a devolved Assembly renamed by ambitious
    pollies --its now called itself the Scottish Government !

So watch this space when the SNP try to take the referendum through
    -- they rely on minority parties votes for majorities

9. :brave: :brave: :brave: :brave: :brave: :brave: :brave:
  10. The SNP's stated aim has always been for independence and now they are in power they intend to give the Scots their voice on the issue. The Labour Party promised a referendum on Europe yet found all sorts of bullshit reasons for not doing so.

Should the vote prove favourable for independence I don't know if there would be any legal measures to prevent it actually happening. If they gained independence would they elect to become a republic or remain a monarchy? I suspect that if the latter they would elect Princess Anne to be Queen.
  11. Well we did the Beira patrol for years so we should be ready for the Aberdeen blockade.
    Whats the strength of their fleet, can Faslane operate in a foreign country, or will witsend become a renegade leader of the Scottish Navy, and be know as witsend O'Higgins, we need to know. Somebody get on it now. 8O :D :D :roll: :wink:
  12. hahaha thats quality

anyway i think the real point is that england should be voting for independance. Scotland already own england dont they???
    lol...if only
  13. Go for it,i know that if i was a Scotchman then i would be out there campaigning for my country,why the ferkin hell should England rule scotland,
  14. Dae ye know mean Witsend MacHiggans Lord High Admiral of the Scottish Navy? :brave: :brave:

15. I reckon your Scots history is a little askew 8)
  16. Halfway there already! :D
  17. I think we should encourage all Scots to vote for independance, as long as a by-product is getting rid of all Scottish MPs in Westminster.

Another thing I can't quite grasp is the minimum price for alcohol bill that they are trying to introduce. Are they going to put customs on the A74 and A1 to stop all the cheap booze from ASDA in Carlisle spreading north? It all seems to be a bit "third rock from the sun" stuff to me.
  18. Will HM still be head of state if the kilt wearing, haggis eating drunken wrongerns do get inderpendence? only ribbing ya so dont bite you tarten wearing log throwing weirdo's!!!

It's nothing to do with me because I'm not Scottish, just think it will be a sad day, I personally like most of the scott's lads I've bumped into on hloidays or whatever, I think they hate us more than we hate them!!!

And also if they do get inderpendence it'll be the end of GB with really really will be a sad day and on a serious note one i hope never to see.
  19. I think we need to have a referendum on this once and for all to find out how the Scottish public really feels about it. And when it comes I will be voting no.

I am proud to be Scottish AND British and I think that the majority of Scots feel the same way. We have our devolved parliament and a rich, distinctive, cultural identity. However we pack a greater punch, both in Europe and worldwide, as a United Kingdom. I do agree that we need to even things up between Holyrood and Westminster, for example Scottish MPs should be in Westminster to represent their constituents on Scottish and British issues only.

I'm curious as to how the major, shared public services will be run if Scotland becomes independent e.g. the Armed Forces, the NHS, transport services, the BBC etc.
  20. You can read it here:

Scottish Parliament - Official Report
    3 September 2009
    Cols 19208-9

Scottish Government's Programme

The Presiding Officer (Alex Fergusson): The next item of business is a statement by Alex Salmond on the Scottish Government's programme. The First Minister's statement will be followed immediately by a debate. There should therefore be no interventions or interruptions during the statement, which may last up to 30 minutes.

The First Minister (Alex Salmond): [...]

That is a clear deficit. It is a democratic deficit and one that threatens our economic prospects. That is why I and the Government believe that only as an independent member state of the European Union will Scotland be properly represented in decision making on those and other crucial issues.

That is only one of the reasons why the Government will introduce a referendum bill in 2010. As I have noted, there is a consensus for change. The Calman commission has proposed areas for further devolution of responsibility to the Scots Parliament. We welcome those. I know of no disagreement on matters such as air-guns and speed limits. Those responsibilities can be transferred easily and simply. Let us do that now. We have already published the necessary draft orders. Those responsibilities can all be transferred with no primary legislation.

However, I recognise that there are different opinions on what other key responsibilities this Parliament should have. I know what I think is the right future for Scotland: I want it to have the same responsibilities and opportunities as similar nations. It follows that, until we can use all the economic and financial levers that are available to every other Government in the world, Scotland will always be at a competitive disadvantage.

The Scottish Parliament has led the way on banning smoking in public places, on free personal care and, recently, on climate change legislation. It is right that, collectively, we should be proud of that but we should also recognise that it has been achieved within the confines of limited devolution.

With independence, the only limitation on what we can achieve would be our own creativity, determination and sense of principle. In my estimation, Scots should never be accused of lacking in any of those qualities, but Scotland needs to have the full powers of an independent nation if it is to flourish. We need those powers so that we can exploit our massive renewable energy potential; so that we will be better placed to respond to global challenges; so that we can set our tax regime to suit Scotland and encourage the growth of Scotland-based business; so that we can ensure that our fishermen, farmers and—on social legislation—working people in Scotland are properly represented in Brussels; so that our social security system can meet the needs of the people of Scotland; and so that we can attract talented people to live and work here and to contribute to Scottish life.

I am very proud of Scotland and what it has achieved. I am very proud to lead the Government in the Scottish Parliament, but a glass ceiling threatens Scotland's progress. For as long as limits are set on what we can do and what we can achieve, we will never achieve our full potential.

The Government was elected with a popular mandate to put the question of Scotland's future to the vote in a referendum.