Scott/Shackleton who would you rather work for ?

Who would you rather work for?

• Ernest Shackleton

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

clanky

War Hero
I recall once discussing the idea that naval officerss divide into camps.
The Scotts and the Shackleton's.
Which camp would you rather work for, and why?

Before anyone asks, I see myself more as a Chippy McNeish!

chieftiff

War Hero
Uh! Amundson, he won by a month and got his men out! "whole and hearty!" Just to show I won't always agree with you Maxi :lol:

clanky

War Hero
chieftiff said:
Uh! Amundson, he won by a month and got his men out! "whole and hearty!" Just to show I won't always agree with you Maxi :lol:

The Amundson expedition was a cynical PR stunt, without any of the scientific rigour of the British expeditions. Its a well known fact that Amundson only did it in order to clinch a sponsorship deal with Helly-Hansen.

clanky said:
chieftiff said:

The Amundson expedition was a cynical PR stunt, without any of the scientific rigour of the British expeditions. Its a well known fact that Amundson only did it in order to clinch a sponsorship deal with Helly-Hansen.

All very well, but is your choice to be dead, even if it is a 'noble' death because you did the honorable thing, or alive and sponsored and first.

I know where my vote lies.

Peter

chieftiff

War Hero
There you go again Maxi, now my votes back with the Noggi: Alive, sponsored, first, famous with a great career ahead of him......even if he did blow his fortune on that new fangled aviation thing. And I don't care if it's not an option I want to vote for Amundson.

How do I take my vote back??

chieftiff said:
There you go again Maxi, now my votes back with the Noggi Alive, sponsored, first, famous with a great career ahead of him......even if he did blow his fortune on that new fangled aviation thing. And I don't care if it's not an option I want to vote for Amundson.

How do I take my vote back??
I think as we only got the two options we are stuck with it, but between ourselves we know, and that should be good enough.

Peter

Dr. David Livingstone (1813-1873), Scottish doctor and missionary

Cos he came back, went to warm places, and could be wound up as he was a God Bother-er.

Nutty

Nutty said:
Dr. David Livingstone (1813-1873), Scottish doctor and missionary

Cos he came back, went to warm places, and could be wound up as he was a God Bother-er.

Nutty

Ah those were the days when with little encouragement you coulkd get god botherers to go and wander round Africa for a few years and give us some peace at home.

Peter

Dangermouse

Badgeman
Have a read of Ranulph Fiennes biography 'Scott'. Only one choice for me. Scott was a true hero and an inspired leader. Fiennes book explains a great deal and goes a long way to putting the record straight.