Scots leading role in the slave trade

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by thingy, Dec 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's interesting that such an obviously intelligent man could be unwordly enough to think that "Homecoming Scotland" is anything other than a shortbread marketing exercise.
  2. Thinking about, I know quite a few Jamaicans and they all have Scottish Sirnames.
  3. Yep, its all the white mans fault as ususal. Perhaps the professor would feel more comfortable living back in Jamaica then, in spite of the fact that he seems to have done quite well for himself among those nasty oppressive Scots.
  4. You must mean Rastus Campbell? :thumright:
  5. No, he means Delbert McTavish :)
  6. Perhaps his son was the black Scotsman in 'Porridge' :)
  7. He is of course quite right there were many Scots who made their money out of slavery, both at home and abroad. He though does fail to mention that many of the poor whites in the Windies also have Scots names, and they are also descendants of slave, white slaves. Before the slave trade from Africa developed labour in the Windies was supplied by white slaves, either convicts or bondsmen who had sold themselves or been sold by their families into slavery for a fixed period of time. The only real difference between the white and black slave was the white slave was not a slave for life, though often that did mean that the white slave was worked harder to get value before his release, when broken in spirit and body they became the white underclass in the Windies as any one who had been low enough to be a bondsman or criminal was never going to rise in that society, even after slavery was abolished.

The good prof as ever forgets that slavery was never just a black/white thing

8. I aint gonna give any of my friends names in the public domain but to start how about Trevor McDonald?
  9. I get pissed off with all this slavery apologising.
    If we take a look back to slave times and examine the living conditions of the British lower classes it is easy to see that for many the life that they lived was as bad or worse than a black slave's life.
    The slave was treated as an expensive commodity so was fed and housed and unless a field hand in the sugar plantations to a certain extent was taken care of. Breeding was encouraged as it increased slave stocks.
    The British peasant on the other hand did not have this status, he had no value except to provide as much as possible for the Lord of the manor whilst trying to survive harsh winters with very little food.
    The difference between Black slave and White British freeman was Freedom. But freedom to do what?
  10. Well said! I'm not apologising for the slave trade - I didn't do it!
  11. Bollikcs, I saw you do it. :dwarf:
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Thought that you would have been up for a bit of the old bondage and slavery :dwarf:
  13. Didn't realise that bondage was a Janner thing, takes all sorts I suppose.
  14. What were you doing in my closet? Ok name your price! :thumright:
  15. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Come on Maxi, at our age anything is gratefully received (between you and I, I'll bet Moomin has access to handcuffs)
  16. Now are they the nice fluffy pink ones or the nasty stainless steel ones.
  17. Probably nasty steel ones disguised as pinky fluffy ones for the added joke factor lol
  18. o_O Since when did you get so fussy?
  19. He's not but he might have to empty his catheter bag first though!! :thumright: