Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scots leading role in the slave trade

clanky

War Hero
It's interesting that such an obviously intelligent man could be unwordly enough to think that "Homecoming Scotland" is anything other than a shortbread marketing exercise.

Jack77

War Hero
Yep, its all the white mans fault as ususal. Perhaps the professor would feel more comfortable living back in Jamaica then, in spite of the fact that he seems to have done quite well for himself among those nasty oppressive Scots.

He is of course quite right there were many Scots who made their money out of slavery, both at home and abroad. He though does fail to mention that many of the poor whites in the Windies also have Scots names, and they are also descendants of slave, white slaves. Before the slave trade from Africa developed labour in the Windies was supplied by white slaves, either convicts or bondsmen who had sold themselves or been sold by their families into slavery for a fixed period of time. The only real difference between the white and black slave was the white slave was not a slave for life, though often that did mean that the white slave was worked harder to get value before his release, when broken in spirit and body they became the white underclass in the Windies as any one who had been low enough to be a bondsman or criminal was never going to rise in that society, even after slavery was abolished.

The good prof as ever forgets that slavery was never just a black/white thing

KATWEEZIL

Lantern Swinger
rod-gearing said:
KATWEEZIL said:
Thinking about, I know quite a few Jamaicans and they all have Scottish Sirnames.

You must mean Rastus Campbell? :thumright:

I aint gonna give any of my friends names in the public domain but to start how about Trevor McDonald?

slim

War Hero
I get pissed off with all this slavery apologising.
If we take a look back to slave times and examine the living conditions of the British lower classes it is easy to see that for many the life that they lived was as bad or worse than a black slave's life.
The slave was treated as an expensive commodity so was fed and housed and unless a field hand in the sugar plantations to a certain extent was taken care of. Breeding was encouraged as it increased slave stocks.
The British peasant on the other hand did not have this status, he had no value except to provide as much as possible for the Lord of the manor whilst trying to survive harsh winters with very little food.
The difference between Black slave and White British freeman was Freedom. But freedom to do what?

Moomin

War Hero
slim said:
If we take a look back to slave times and examine the living conditions of the British lower classes it is easy to see that for many the life that they lived was as bad or worse than a black slave's life.
The slave was treated as an expensive commodity so was fed and housed and unless a field hand in the sugar plantations to a certain extent was taken care of. Breeding was encouraged as it increased slave stocks.
The British peasant on the other hand did not have this status, he had no value except to provide as much as possible for the Lord of the manor whilst trying to survive harsh winters with very little food.
The difference between Black slave and White British * was Freedom. But freedom to do what?

Well said! I'm not apologising for the slave trade - I didn't do it!

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Moomin said:
slim said:
The difference between Black slave and White British * was Freedom. But freedom to do what?

Well said! I'm not apologising for the slave trade - I didn't do it!

Thought that you would have been up for a bit of the old bondage and slavery :dwarf:

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Come on Maxi, at our age anything is gratefully received (between you and I, I'll bet Moomin has access to handcuffs)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Scots recognised by Queen's New Year Honours MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scots recognised by Queen's Birthday Honours 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK aid helps Scots tackle climate change ahead of Glasgow climate summit MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scots recognised in New Year Honours 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Scots recognised by Queen's Birthday Honours 2019 MoD News 0
D 56 and thinking about joining the RFA... ex infantry 12 years in, retired cop 23 years in, currently working for Scots Government as an investigator. RFA 39
MoD_RSS News story: Scots Prominent in New Year Honours MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary launches £132m Scots sub-hunting aircraft home MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Minister appreciates Scots UK defence role MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: New Defence Secretary recognises Scots defence role MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Defence Secretary salutes Scots troops who keep us safe at home and abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary applauds service of globally deployed Scots MoD News 0
soleil S. Echo: "Nuclear Submarines To Be Based In Sunderland If Scots Win Independence" Submariners 7
MoD_RSS News story: Scots Guards return from Afghanistan MoD News 0
trelawney126 Scots Inbreeding Pays Off Diamond Lil's 5
trelawney126 Who said the Scots are Thrifty? Diamond Lil's 9
trelawney126 Welsh Lecturer Slates Scots tourism Scam History 35
soleil "MOD poised to scrap Scots jobs..and start a political war" Current Affairs 6
docherty all posts about the scots Diamond Lil's 89
NotmeChief Why do the Scots always blame someone else. The Quarterdeck 68
Oil_Slick Sean Connery calling on Scots to return to their homeland Diamond Lil's 84
Maxi_77 Scots Land Grab Diamond Lil's 29
F Warship deal to secure Scots jobs Current Affairs 22
P Leading hand of the mess responsibilities? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 57
MoD_RSS English sparkling wine leading global innovation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Young people leading the charge on climate action MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government sets out world-leading new measures to protect rainforests MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sellafield Ltd: Still leading the conversation on the international stage MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Why we are backing our leading space scientists to clean up the cosmos MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leading the charge on World EV Day! MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World-leading new law to protect rainforests and clean up supply chains MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dowden: ‘Jump-start’ for UK’s leading creative industries MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK defence teams up with world leading UK space company to secure next generation of military communications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Vital project work leading return to workplaces MoD News 0
soleil FB: "Video About The Royal Navy Photographic Branch, Created By Leading Photographer Dan Shepherd" #RNPhoto100 The Fleet 0
MoD_RSS PM call with UK’s leading manufacturers: 16 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The Animal and Plant Health Agency receives £1.4 billion budget boost for world-leading Weybridge Laboratory MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Women leading the way in breaking down boundaries in science and innovation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leading UK security companies to visit Guatemala and explore opportunities MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Science Minister outlines the UK's world-leading role in EdTech MoD News 0
MoD_RSS London seminar: Leading her Majesty's Prison and Probation Service MoD News 0
soleil F35b Lightning Video By Leading Photographer Dan Shepherd The Fleet Air Arm 0
MoD_RSS Net Zero Review launched to support UK's world leading climate commitment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Production starts on world-leading respirators for UK armed forces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The UK has a vital role to play in leading the global fourth industrial revolution MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leading the charge for the environment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Nine-Leading UK Fintech Companies land in Australia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Leading Canadian high-growth SMEs announced for FinTech Mission to the UK MoD News 0
MoD_RSS World-leading advances in aerospace: apply for funding MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Free schools leading the way with top primary school results MoD News 0