Scots Land Grab

Do you think the good citizens of Berwick should opt for Scotland

• Total voters
SILVER_FOX said:
Rather the Scots than the Shariah law. When are they taking on Hampshire??

SF
I did some covert intelligence gathering on that late last year and my recomendation was not to touch it with a bargepole, it was every bit as bad as when I was in the mob

P2000

Lantern Swinger
Surely the status of Berwick should be decided in the traditional way:

Men, a little the worse for drink, wearing kilts, charging lines of redcoats who mow them down with musket fire.

The Scots could then be oppressed for a few years, banned from wearing tartan (bloody right too).

Then Mel Gibson could make a film about it. :viking:

Stokers-Plaything said:
If The Sweatys want it let them fight for it,But Remember their nations capital is named after a Northumbrian king Edwins Borough so Northumbria could have a claim too.
On the other hand perhaps Northumbria may feel that joining it's capital make be the better choice.

geoffg

Lantern Swinger
Scotland would have to stop north of the Tyne at Newcastle, and leave likes of Sunderland to the English. Mainly 'cos Scotland hasn't got a League Div. III
geoff(ers) :nemo:

Capn_Pugwash

Lantern Swinger
Speaking as a Jock, and having visited Berwick several times ( never voluntarily), I fail to see how any right thinking Scotsman would have any interest in taking it on.

Even parts of Cumbria have more appeal!

geoffg said:
Scotland would have to stop north of the Tyne at Newcastle, and leave likes of Sunderland to the English. Mainly 'cos Scotland hasn't got a League Div. III
I was just thinking perhaps we showuld go as far as the humber mersey line them we might even be able to field a half decent cricket team, and poach a few of those rugby league guys to stiffen up our rugby team.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Maxi_77 said:
I was just thinking perhaps we showuld go as far as the humber mersey line them we might even be able to field a half decent cricket team...
Yebbut, cricket in Scotland would be a continual round of "rain stopped play" and having to retire to the bar... as you were, great idea!

Ueshiba

Lantern Swinger
Stokers-Plaything said:
If The Sweatys want it let them fight for it,But Remember their nations capital is named after a Northumbrian king Edwins Borough so Northumbria could have a claim too.
With respect, this is highly unlikely. The Brythonic name Din Eidyn (City or Fort of Eidyn) predates the Anglo-Saxon King Edwin by at the very least 800 years. As that was when it was mentioned in the Poem Y Gododdin which described Brythonic Warriors feast in Eidin's great hall. Granted, the Saxons later added the Burgh bit, as in the German 'Burg'. :thumright:

Ueshiba said:
Stokers-Plaything said:
With respect, this is highly unlikely. The Brythonic name Din Eidyn (City or Fort of Eidyn) predates the Anglo-Saxon King Edwin by at the very least 800 years. As that was when it was mentioned in the Poem Y Gododdin which described Brythonic Warriors feast in Eidin's great hall. Granted, the Saxons later added the Burgh bit, as in the German 'Burg'. :thumright:
Eh?

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Streaky said:
Ueshiba said:
Stokers-Plaything said:
Eh?
I think he said: "D'yez wannae buy a 'Big Issue'? Or cannyae giz a'bit o' spare change faer cuppa tea?"

8O :oops:

Ueshiba said:
Stokers-Plaything said:
I was always tought it was the Angles in that part hence the old scots name for scots was anglish

geoffg said:
That is the only way Newcastle FC are going to win anything playing the likes of Ross County.

Nutty

Ueshiba

Lantern Swinger
Maxi_77 said:
Ueshiba said:
Stokers-Plaything said:
I was always tought it was the Angles in that part hence the old scots name for scots was anglish
You are probably right. When I said Saxons, I meant Anglo-Saxons. Which could in fact mean the Angles. Point was, they arrived more than 800 years later to add the Burg to the Edin. :thanks:

Latest Threads