Scots Land Grab

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Maxi_77, Feb 12, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I thought the Jocks that run the UK had already made England subserviant to Scotland..............

2. Rather the Scots than the Shariah law. When are they taking on Hampshire??

SF

3. I did some covert intelligence gathering on that late last year and my recomendation was not to touch it with a bargepole, it was every bit as bad as when I was in the mob

4. Surely the status of Berwick should be decided in the traditional way:

Men, a little the worse for drink, wearing kilts, charging lines of redcoats who mow them down with musket fire.

The Scots could then be oppressed for a few years, banned from wearing tartan (bloody right too).

Then Mel Gibson could make a film about it. :viking:

5. If The Sweatys want it let them fight for it,But Remember their nations capital is named after a Northumbrian king Edwins Borough so Northumbria could have a claim too.

6. On the other hand perhaps Northumbria may feel that joining it's capital make be the better choice.

7. Scotland would have to stop north of the Tyne at Newcastle, and leave likes of Sunderland to the English. Mainly 'cos Scotland hasn't got a League Div. III
    geoff(ers) :nemo:

8. Maybe.....if we built a wall????

9. Speaking as a Jock, and having visited Berwick several times ( never voluntarily), I fail to see how any right thinking Scotsman would have any interest in taking it on.

Even parts of Cumbria have more appeal!

10. I was just thinking perhaps we showuld go as far as the humber mersey line them we might even be able to field a half decent cricket team, and poach a few of those rugby league guys to stiffen up our rugby team.

11. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Yebbut, cricket in Scotland would be a continual round of "rain stopped play" and having to retire to the bar... as you were, great idea!

12. With respect, this is highly unlikely. The Brythonic name Din Eidyn (City or Fort of Eidyn) predates the Anglo-Saxon King Edwin by at the very least 800 years. As that was when it was mentioned in the Poem Y Gododdin which described Brythonic Warriors feast in Eidin's great hall. Granted, the Saxons later added the Burgh bit, as in the German 'Burg'. :thumright:

13. Eh?

14. Well that settles it then. Give it back to the Welsh!

15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I think he said: "D'yez wannae buy a 'Big Issue'? Or cannyae giz a'bit o' spare change faer cuppa tea?"

8O :oops:

16. I was always tought it was the Angles in that part hence the old scots name for scots was anglish

17. That is the only way Newcastle FC are going to win anything playing the likes of Ross County.

Nutty

18. You are probably right. When I said Saxons, I meant Anglo-Saxons. Which could in fact mean the Angles. Point was, they arrived more than 800 years later to add the Burg to the Edin. :thanks: