Scotland On Sunday: "TV Project To Dig Up Falklands Battle Sites"

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
So far as I'm aware all land casualties were recovered & either repatriated or buried in marked graves, so there should be little chance of unearthing human remains.

With any luck they will dig up a few of the many mines scattered about and reduce the risk of injuring the unwary.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
So far as I'm aware the last unaccounted body was recovered in 1986, still in his crashed Pucara aircraft, after crashing into the side of a mountain.

There was lots of ordnance including huge heaps of empty shell cases, a fair few abandoned vehicles & doubtless there will be a few aircraft wrecks scattered about, but otherwise it's extremely doubtful there will be any surprises...unless they discover a mass grave of allegedly executed mercenary prisoners, of course.

Hmmm ... Pollard says he is taking in a team of Argie archaeologists ... sounds like another front to me snd they are really looking for oil!

On the serious side I agree with NS ... not a lot there apart from shell cases and the occasinal mine .... there again its was the Argie dozey [email protected] that planted the mines without a proper marked map in the first place so they can go find 'em again ... the hard way!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Oddly 'our' Lynx was sent to attack an Argentine coaster, 'fired' two Skua, but brought them both back, still attached. I remember thinkng at the time it was somwhat remiss.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I just don't understand this. Archaeology picks up where history leaves off and goodness knows there is a huge pile of accounts of the Falklands War, from the brass downwards.

Ot perhaps I do understand this. It is to make a TV programme which will make money partly from being incipiently anti-British. I can smell that from my armchair.

Hmmm ... Pollard says he is taking in a team of Argie archaeologists ... sounds like another front to me snd they are really looking for oil!

On the serious side I agree with NS ... not a lot there apart from shell cases and the occasinal mine .... there again its was the Argie dozey [email protected] that planted the mines without a proper marked map in the first place so they can go find 'em again ... the hard way!
I wonder if they're also dropping off a bunch of Argie scrap dealers on South Georgia.....Groundhog day ?...:scratch:

The Today programme is available to listen to now.

The section on the Falklands starts towards the end - whizz forward to 2:47.

BBC Radio 4 - Today, 10/07/2013

Interviewees: Alan Crawford, Scots Guards, now ABF/Derek 'Smokey' Cole, Falklands Veterans' Foundation/Dr Tony Pollard, Centre For Battlefield Archaeology, Glasgow.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
The_Caretaker Miscellaneous 0
A RMR 3
Ageing_Gracefully Diamond Lil's 16