Scotland On Sunday: "TV Project To Dig Up Falklands Battle Sites"

Discussion in 'History' started by soleil, Dec 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

So far as I'm aware all land casualties were recovered & either repatriated or buried in marked graves, so there should be little chance of unearthing human remains.

With any luck they will dig up a few of the many mines scattered about and reduce the risk of injuring the unwary.

2. What are they expecting to find? Spent 7.62 casings, occasional shit trench and err .... umm ....

3. Ninja_Stoker

So far as I'm aware the last unaccounted body was recovered in 1986, still in his crashed Pucara aircraft, after crashing into the side of a mountain.

There was lots of ordnance including huge heaps of empty shell cases, a fair few abandoned vehicles & doubtless there will be a few aircraft wrecks scattered about, but otherwise it's extremely doubtful there will be any surprises...unless they discover a mass grave of allegedly executed mercenary prisoners, of course.

4. Hmmm ... Pollard says he is taking in a team of Argie archaeologists ... sounds like another front to me snd they are really looking for oil!

On the serious side I agree with NS ... not a lot there apart from shell cases and the occasinal mine .... there again its was the Argie dozey [email protected] that planted the mines without a proper marked map in the first place so they can go find 'em again ... the hard way!

5. If they find the warhead of one of my rogue AS12's they have my permission to blow the ****** up!! I never managed it!

6. Ninja_Stoker

Oddly 'our' Lynx was sent to attack an Argentine coaster, 'fired' two Skua, but brought them both back, still attached. I remember thinkng at the time it was somwhat remiss.

7. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

If they find NZB's sense of humour on the slopes of Two Sisters can he have it back please?

8. Ninja_Stoker

The mountain or the related duo?

9. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I just don't understand this. Archaeology picks up where history leaves off and goodness knows there is a huge pile of accounts of the Falklands War, from the brass downwards.

Ot perhaps I do understand this. It is to make a TV programme which will make money partly from being incipiently anti-British. I can smell that from my armchair.

10. I wonder if they're also dropping off a bunch of Argie scrap dealers on South Georgia.....Groundhog day ?...:scratch:

11. The Today programme is available to listen to now.

The section on the Falklands starts towards the end - whizz forward to 2:47.

BBC Radio 4 - Today, 10/07/2013

Interviewees: Alan Crawford, Scots Guards, now ABF/Derek 'Smokey' Cole, Falklands Veterans' Foundation/Dr Tony Pollard, Centre For Battlefield Archaeology, Glasgow.