Scotish sailors.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by DruAde, Dec 4, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If, Scotland voted yes for independance, and the resources were thrashed out, would you as a Scotish sailor move to the Scotish navy given the opportunity? Saying that would any non Scots move to the Scotish Navy?

Apparently Scotland would get 4 frigates from latest reports.

Just curious how it would go if this happened.
  2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Despite the stereo typical hard drinking of those from them there parts they're all TT i.e. Scottish!

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
  3. Thanks exJ - beat me too it!

Well, I'm outside. BUT - it might be worth thinking about, since there could be very rapid promotion - remember the Gollies way back when? (Can I use Gollies in that context?)

Then again, crappy weather and based in Faslavatory - hmmmmm.

As an aside, I've just had to sell my mother's house in the 'Burg and the Estate Agent said we were doing a smart thing, as if wee Eck gets his way there will be hundreds if not thousands of properties dumped on the market as people try to sell and move away having 'lost' their jobs at or supporting Faslane.
  4. It's a big joke--4 frigates from where? Snatch away the small Type 23 fleet?
  5. The submarine fleet has a very large contingent of Jocks i can't see all those being too happy at moving on to frigates for a lot less money. Or they are going to have to pay everyone else a lot more money.
  6. To continue British standing worldwide commitments, that would be 4 FFs we'd have to replace. That's assuming, of course, that the remaining capability won't be stretched even further or some commitments gashed.

7. Gollies, :angryfire: in the 60's a guy I was supervising suddenly became my supervisor.

As for Scotland.....its the clearances all over again....:whdat:
  8. I'm English, but if they pay more and have a better pension they can have me.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

• Like Like x 2
  10. My thought exactly. 13 frigates is pushing the envelope now. My kid will be on deployment 365 days a year with 9 frigates lol.
  11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Why would an independent Scotland with completely different strategic assumptions, and no NATO commitments or Dependent Territories to worry about, want the same type of complicated ships as the RN? And how would they train for them or maintain them without duplicating expensive facilities?

I think the idea that Scotland would take a proportionate slice of hardware is mistaken. More likely the situation would be reduced to money terms.
  12. Scotland are 1/7 to get independence and the polls are in favour of the union as it is, so I'd say quite confidently a 'no' vote would be the result.
  13. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

14. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Only another 10 months and all this will be over!
    • Like Like x 2
  15. No dependant territories to look after!

Have you been to Corby, more jocks there than most north of the border cities.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  16. We wish, but you know it will all just start again. There should have been some caveat placed on this vote that if it was a no it could not be repeated for x amount of years.
  17. Danny, agree with what you say, cos you just know that Salmon pink will cry foul!
  18. Its the only sensible way to do something like this. When the Ozzies voted on the monarchy it was decided before hand if it was a no they would wait until the queen had passed to vote again.
  19. Assuming a 'no' vote, perhaps we should wait until Salmond passes away.
    • Like Like x 1