Scorpion Tattoos?

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by Stormcrow13, Jun 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if anyone can help?
    My Dad was in the Royal Navy from around 1964 to 1968 and then in the SBS from 1968 until he was medically discharged in 1969. He always spoke about his time in the Navy but never really talked about his time in the SBS or how or where he came to be medically discharged. He did recover in the Royal Naval Hospital Haslar and was in plaster cast from his ankles up to his neck so it must have been a serious incident.

I'm trying to find out the meaning or significance of a couple of tattoos my Dad had that may have something to do with his time in the SBS and may shed some light on things.

He had two small scorpion tattoos; one below each shoulder on his back. They were a simple design, no great detail and with the tail curling in towards the direction of his spine and the claws of each scorpion pointing up towards his shoulder. I remember them being green in colour but this may be due to the fading over the years.

I would really appreciate any information anyone can give me.

2. It is entirely possible his tats had no meaning whatsoever and he just thought they'd look cool.

I've seen lads get tattoos of all sorts of shite simply because they liked the look of it at the time and had a few too many beers. A crime I'm certainly guilty of.

It's also not uncommon for sailors to get tats as the result of a bet.

Good luck in your quest for answers, but don't be surprised if the tats were just the result of a night out on the piss.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. You don't know do you 2DD?

*taps nose and winks*
  4. You didn't earn your scorpions? Girl.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Shhhh, fuckwit. Can't you see I'm just trying to swerve the attention away? It was working until you let the cat out of the bag.

Since it's out there we might as well come clean.

Two Scorpion tats mean he was STC.

That's all I can say I'm afraid.
  6. Not only that, he was there at La Spezia. Respec'.
  7. I knew of the 2 scorpions etc (wink, wink - say no more) but what does one scorpion exiting the rusty sherrif's badge indicate?
  8. AAF

AAF Badgeman

Magaloo curry ?.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Depends if you're still talking about a tattoo :bootyshake: 8-O
    • Like Like x 1
  10. So.

He was the one.
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

That maybe why the STC anthem is "Winds of Change".

There`s me thinking the reason the RAF UFO investigation Cell was shut down was because they had to work Fridays. Then there was La Spezia.

It`s all beginning to make sense, non?
  12. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

To the OP.

Drop the ex MP Paddy Ashdown a letter. He was SBS about the same time, he might know your dad, especially if he was a matelot (there wouldn't have been that many in the SBS).
  13. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

OP that's a good suggestion from wet_blobby