school reference

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by birdman26, Apr 29, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm currently applying to join and I'm Worring about if my school will be contacted, I didn't put them down as a reference but I'm wondering if the navy will contact them anyway (as I'm still in school right now) and if so will a bad school reference affect me getting into the royal navy?

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

3. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Maybe. It would depend on what you'd been up to at skool.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Generally we find the most reliable, unbiased references are from employers and educational institutions.

Schools provide evidence of punctuality, attendance & disciplinary issues upon request, for up to two years after a person has left and references are most often requested if there are doubts or misgivings about the integrity of the candidate at interview.

For those still in education, the advice is simply clean-up your act if you want the service to invest tens, if not hundreds of thousands on pounds in your future employment. Talk to your group teacher/tutor/lecturer and discuss your stated intent.

Have I rejected applicants for duff school, college or employer references? Dozens. If you are requested to nominate an educational referee, the tip is to ask the individual who you get on with. If you don't get on with any, then the reason for the reference request is self-explanatory.

If anyone ever says employers cannot give negative reports, it is utter nonsense. They can write whatever they wish as long as it is true. References are not always requested, incidentally.

Best o'luck.

5. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

As an ex-teacher in the Portsmouth area before my illustrious Naval career - if I'd had a pound for every time I'd heard 'Hello sir, you used to teach me...' as I wandered round the stone frigates. On one occasion, from one of the biggest scrotes I'd ever come across in my teaching career. He was an OMC(2), but told me he was off to rebranch as an MA......probably a Commander now.:D