School leaving age may be raised to 18 by 2013... Discuss

Re: School leaving age may be raised to 18 by 2013... Discus

sara21 said:
^^^^^

I think that you will find that many universities operate on the 85point scale, and that 70% you suggest is actually 70/85 = 83% (or there about).

In my dept( Architecture) only 2/60 graduated with a first!

I think you will find it very rare, amongst Red Brick Universities, for people to be scoring in excess of 78.

I do agree that GCSE and A-Levels are pointless- I left school at 18 with 4 A grades and didn't know how to do long division or how to punctuate correctly. Grammar is a real struggle for me and I blame that on not being taught the fundamentals early on in my schooling.

I think it must have been 70% as my overall grade for Criminology was 74% which I was dissatisfied with - I wanted a brilliant First, not just a scraping-through First! :oops: :( :lol:

Like you, I left school with only a basic understanding of English Grammer. In fact I only really improved upon that score when I studied Danish at the then Polytechnic of Central London for 3 years (night school, of course) and subsequent interest in languages again has improved my understanding. Grammer is something schools really ought to teach.

Tas-ape

Lantern Swinger

dunkers said:
It was bad enough going to school until the age of 16 with people who had absolutely no interest in their education and whose only desire was to cause the maximum trouble possible. (At 16, most of the wasters left.) Forcing non-academic teenagers through school will only further put them off education - they might even get pregnant to get out of it. :roll:

If any of you have read the thread "That's Him Away" remember the dit where I told you about Scott and I's first run ashore. We went to a pub called the "Ye Olde Tippling Philosopher" there were two young lassies talking about the exact same subject, school is boring, teachers are *******, he is thi and she is that and etc. One says to the other you could always hit somebody and get suspended or get pregnant.
Scott says to me. Dad see the blonde one. She is the sister of one of my freinds when I was at school, turned out they were a pair of fourteen year olds, each with a half of cider/lager. They they did not look fourteen, but then again they did'nt look eighteen either.
By the way there is another pub in the village called the Good Measure, at lunch time there are more buggies in the big lounge than cars in the car park, and for info if you ever go there the taxi driver will not know it. It is commonmly refered to as "Alton Towers" so called, cause when you pay your admission fee all the rides are for free.

mophead

Lantern Swinger

trufflehunter said:
Being a 17 year old, finishing off A-levels at the moment, and looking to see what i can do with 'em, my immediate response is that this is gonna de-value them even more. Forcing even more people into uni by the back door (they'll need those degrees because they'll be the only academic qualification worth having any more)

A university degree these days isn't worth the paper it's written on in many cases.......just proof that you've avoided work for another three years.My last intake of graduate engineers don't knowhow to work or how to relate to other people....a complete waste of space...

mophead said:
trufflehunter said:
Being a 17 year old, finishing off A-levels at the moment, and looking to see what i can do with 'em, my immediate response is that this is gonna de-value them even more. Forcing even more people into uni by the back door (they'll need those degrees because they'll be the only academic qualification worth having any more)

A university degree these days isn't worth the paper it's written on in many cases.......just proof that you've avoided work for another three years. My last intake of graduate engineers don't knowhow to work or how to relate to other people....a complete waste of space...

Wasn't it always thus? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The crucial thing should be, are they in work? I left school at 14 (as you can in Guernsey) and got straight into work. Also got into booze and fags but that is another story.

I don't agree therefore in a blanket raising in the age but rather only for those that need the education to be gainfully employed. Maybe the last two years training should be targetted at making them suitable for specific jobs and so maybe potential future employers should be involved in the curriculum.