SCC promotions

#1
Can someone please explain how promotions are now handed in the Corp, as I read that so many units are run by a Chief or Sub. When my son was in it the CO was a Lt/Cdr and about 6 officers under him.

I have thought about applying to join a unit, however with my military experience and a degree in electronics I would think it reasonable to be made an officer, however if the CO is a PO/CPO what would happen
 

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Moderator
#2
If you have prior military experience then this will be taken into account when the unit considers your application. IIRC all volunteers go in as adult volunteers and consideration is given as to what level they should then be appointed to in due course.

Bluntly though, if you are joining in order to become an officer, then I personally think you are going in with the wrong intentions. The SCC is about providing training to kids and helping them get the best possible start in life. It is not a military organisation, and volunteers should belong to it out of a desire to help the kids, and not to assume some form of 'Officer' status.

I would suggest a more sensible approach is to just turn up, help out and see what happens from there, rather than worrying about whether you will be made an Acting SLT RNR (SCC) and what impact that has on whether the CPO RNR (SCC) calls you Sir or not...
 
#3
Topdeck88 said:
Can someone please explain how promotions are now handed in the Corp, as I read that so many units are run by a Chief or Sub. When my son was in it the CO was a Lt/Cdr and about 6 officers under him.

I have thought about applying to join a unit, however with my military experience and a degree in electronics I would think it reasonable to be made an officer, however if the CO is a PO/CPO what would happen


As a great old naval saying goes." YOU SIR, ARE AN ALMIGHTY COCK OF THE HIGHEST ORDER"
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
#4
Topdeck88 said:
I have thought about applying to join a unit, however with my military experience and a degree in electronics I would think it reasonable to be made an officer, however if the CO is a PO/CPO what would happen
Despite my first degree in electronics and a Masters degree in Software Engineering, professional membership of the IET and the Safety and Reliability Society leading to recognition in the UK as a Chartered Engineer and in Europe as a EurIng, I was extremely proud to call myself a CPO in the RNR.

Get over the lure of having rings of gold and what you think these offer you in terms of social rank - the Reserves and Cadets are not about you, rather they are about what YOU can offer others, either the RN or youth.
 
#5
FlagWagger said:
Topdeck88 said:
I have thought about applying to join a unit, however with my military experience and a degree in electronics I would think it reasonable to be made an officer, however if the CO is a PO/CPO what would happen
Despite my first degree in electronics and a Masters degree in Software Engineering, professional membership of the IET and the Safety and Reliability Society leading to recognition in the UK as a Chartered Engineer and in Europe as a EurIng, I was extremely proud to call myself a CPO in the RNR.
Get over the lure of having rings of gold and what you think these offer you in terms of social rank - the Reserves and Cadets are not about you, rather they are about what YOU can offer others, either the RN or youth.
i've got a City and Guilds in something or other - how good am i
 
#6
shag_shacker said:
FlagWagger said:
Topdeck88 said:
I have thought about applying to join a unit, however with my military experience and a degree in electronics I would think it reasonable to be made an officer, however if the CO is a PO/CPO what would happen
Despite my first degree in electronics and a Masters degree in Software Engineering, professional membership of the IET and the Safety and Reliability Society leading to recognition in the UK as a Chartered Engineer and in Europe as a EurIng, I was extremely proud to call myself a CPO in the RNR.
Get over the lure of having rings of gold and what you think these offer you in terms of social rank - the Reserves and Cadets are not about you, rather they are about what YOU can offer others, either the RN or youth.
i've got a City and Guilds in something or other - how good am i
I've got CSE crayoning and an 'O'Level in Roll mat fighting, instant SCC Rear Admiral or what?

OP I think you've missed the point of voluntary service.
 
#7
NZ_Bootneck said:
shag_shacker said:
FlagWagger said:
Topdeck88 said:
I have thought about applying to join a unit, however with my military experience and a degree in electronics I would think it reasonable to be made an officer, however if the CO is a PO/CPO what would happen
Despite my first degree in electronics and a Masters degree in Software Engineering, professional membership of the IET and the Safety and Reliability Society leading to recognition in the UK as a Chartered Engineer and in Europe as a EurIng, I was extremely proud to call myself a CPO in the RNR.
Get over the lure of having rings of gold and what you think these offer you in terms of social rank - the Reserves and Cadets are not about you, rather they are about what YOU can offer others, either the RN or youth.
i've got a City and Guilds in something or other - how good am i
I've got CSE crayoning and an 'O'Level in Roll mat fighting, instant SCC Rear Admiral or what?

OP I think you've missed the point of voluntary service.
Way over qualified
 

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
#8
shag_shacker said:
i've got a City and Guilds in something or other - how good am i
Ooooh, oooh, I forgot my C&G in the Radio AMateurs Exam, and the C&G in Electronic Communication that the RN gave me for passing my PO's rate and proving I could type.... should I go for Admiral of the Fleet (SCC)?
 
#9
Yes, I know it's an old post, but I think its worth while posting the actual procedures that have now changed.

All SCC personnel are volunteers

If you just want to pop up once in a while to help run the galley at stand easy, help with the boats or other job you can be a Unit Assistant but most join as a PCI (Probationary Civilian Instructor), nomatter what (unless you were a Petty Officer Cadet/Cadet Sergeant then you would join as a Probationary Petty Officer/Sergeant).

After 6 months, and completion of an Adult Induction Course you can apply to become a UNIFORMED member of staff (Acting PO/Sgt) or simply stay as a CI.

There are core modules that need to be undertaken when going into uniform (Drill, Instructional Methods, First Aid, Seamanship, Child Safety) to be completed within 2 years then you are promoted to a substantive PO/Sgt.

Only then if you wish to become an Officer, you have to have recommendation from your district and area and then go on a POAC (Potential Officer Assessment Course) then after successful completion of passing that, do an OSB (Officer Selection Board).

Then if you are under 21 you will be a Middie and over 21 a Subbie!

Simples!!

P.S. - The system is way too intense - Joining the RN as an officer seems more simple!
 
#10
But the most important thing, is get down to the local unit.

Very few SCC units have enough staff, some so few they're having to close.

If you have a few hours a week, and are ex-services, they may not make you a Lt. Cdr (SCC) RNR, but you prior experience and expertise will be appreciated a ton more then a wavy bit of gold lace.

Of course if you were a senior rate or officer, area and HQ may recommend a direct entry, but as previously posted, that's not really what it's all about
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B SCC and URNU 6
S SCC and URNU 9
B SCC and URNU 65

Similar threads

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top