SCC instructor

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Funny to run a swimming test recently & find that they had no concept of failing something
This is a major concern waiting in the wings.
Education no longer allows for children to fail - every kid gets a lollipop.
The real world is a huge shock to them.

Anyway, please to know that you are making such a good thing of it all.

fishhead

War Hero
Six months on, & a progress update. Being part of the SCC remains a thoroughly rewarding experience & I’m getting qualifications under my belt.

Sometimes I feel one page in the manual ahead of the Cadets, but they’re all heading for advancement, including a few who joined just after me & who will be qualified for Cadet First Class after the weekend if all goes well. It’s them & the fun they get out of it that keeps me going when the hierarchy seems to be about making sure “The Sea Cadet Experience” is not the primary aim.

Funny to run a swimming test recently & find that they had no concept of failing something. A bit of a shock for a couple when I made them start again after they stopped for a breather part way through the swim & held onto the side/ropes/bottom of the pool.

I find it astonishing that children can’t sw these days, and that some even struggled with the Water Safety Test which involves wearing a buoyancy aid. Still, I’m not going to sign anyone off if they’re not safe, paperwork would be mad if they drowned…

Anyway, where else can one get a weekend ragging a RIB round the Solent & a shiny qualification at the end of it for £18.50?
Sounds as though you're having more fun than the kids. But as long as someone is that's fine.

CaptainPlume

Badgeman
Sounds as though you're having more fun than the kids. But as long as someone is that's fine.
They seem to love it, thankfully, except when some awkward sod insists on safety standards being upheld!
Gratifying to see some who had passed the test in buoyancy aids last year (& therefore allowed to do boating anyway) wanted to “upgrade” to full swim test this year having gained confidence.
They had an excellent time larking about in the pool after test done too!

Home Counties in Southern Area.

The Bluejackets are largely a very young bunch, so at present we’re learning a lot together. That’s what I meant by only being a few pages ahead on the manual!
Ahh fair enough. I asked as I’m South West and the only in date PTI (still serving as a Jackdusty in the real navy) in the area, so trying to qualify class 3 cadets and basic CFAVs, whom can then help train others up.

fishhead

War Hero
They seem to love it, thankfully, except when some awkward sod insists on safety standards being upheld!
Gratifying to see some who had passed the test in buoyancy aids last year (& therefore allowed to do boating anyway) wanted to “upgrade” to full swim test this year having gained confidence.
They had an excellent time larking about in the pool after test done too!
Carry on the good work mate, I was only teasing.

CaptainPlume

Badgeman
Carry on the good work mate, I was only teasing.
Oh lord, did that look like a bite?

I do have to do a quick self check that it’s not about getting to continue wearing uniform & get the odd salute, but I am sure there are easier ways to get that than looking after other people’s children for four hours a week, paperwork, lesson planning & negotiating bureaucracy ;)

BARNEYRNSM

War Hero
Oh lord, did that look like a bite?

I do have to do a quick self check that it’s not about getting to continue wearing uniform & get the odd salute, but I am sure there are easier ways to get that than looking after other people’s children for four hours a week, paperwork, lesson planning & negotiating bureaucracy ;)
I managed 30 years as a CFAV alongside and after a full career in the RN. Every now and then I get thinking about it again and then think, naw, I have done my bit, leave it for others, it can get under your skin . Best of luck, enjoy it, when it becomes a chore, chuck it.

Latest Threads