SCC instructor

CaptainPlume

Badgeman
Arrrgh! Just suggested I run Cadets through the marksmanship principles as concurrent activity on a range. I used to shoot small ore at a schools national level, & coached/captained Regimental shooting teams throughout my Army career.

I was given a point blank no, as I’m not a SAA instructor. Is this for real? Guess I’ll have to get on the coaching course if I can find it on Westminster, when I am actually given my access to the system…

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Arrrgh! Just suggested I run Cadets through the marksmanship principles as concurrent activity on a range. I used to shoot small ore at a schools national level, & coached/captained Regimental shooting teams throughout my Army career.

I was given a point blank no, as I’m not a SAA instructor. Is this for real? Guess I’ll have to get on the coaching course if I can find it on Westminster, when I am actually given my access to the system…

Yes, very real. They take the shooting activities in cadets very seriously - so seriously, they won't recognize past qualifications from elsewhere (even if they are technically still current) and make you do theirs.

BARNEYRNSM

War Hero
Yes, very real. They take the shooting activities in cadets very seriously - so seriously, they won't recognize past qualifications from elsewhere (even if they are technically still current) and make you do theirs.
Since when has the principles of marksman ship required a SAA qual? You don't even need a weapon system just to use it as a concurrent activity. Glad I have left, nearly 4 years now, ahh the joy!

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Whilst I understand the need to 'protect' the youngsters etc, some of the palaver folk have to go through is incredible.

I was talking to a Scout Leader and he told me what 'procedures and documentation' had to be in place before they could have a camp fire.....

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Since when has the principles of marksman ship required a SAA qual? You don't even need a weapon system just to use it as a concurrent activity. Glad I have left, nearly 4 years now, ahh the joy!

I know, absolutely mental and very frustrating as an RCO as I find I am not allowed to teach such basic things like marksmanship principles and safe handling rules because these are in the SAA manual so you have to be a skillie! But as RCO or safety supervisor and qualified coach, I can assist the firer once they are on point using . . . well, marksmanship principles. :rolleyes: