SCC instructor

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
Slightly different to 'my day'.... We were given warrants and travelled to Plymouth, changing 3 times ALL BY OURSELVES!! Somehow we got to Raleigh, I was 16 and i/c of the three of us. We had Cinderella leave and I recall getting into Guzz, in rig (with Sea Cadet flashes!) and getting beer in The Brown Bear - obviously I didn't know at the time it was a bar for gentlemen with a penchant for soft furnishings! After the week's course, we somehow managed to get all the way back to the Burg again! Happy Daze.

On another note, I was talking to a Scout Leader recently and was told the rigmarole they have to go through just to have a camp-fire nowadays - amazing.

CaptainPlume

Badgeman
Funny thing is that I would have thought using public transport would be one of the development things we’re supposed to deliver for Cadets. And POs, it would seem ;)

As for taking youngsters on train & Underground I work in schools admin & doing so was pretty regular with kids no older than 13. I also do risk assessments on a regular basis…

As the trip involved staying in appropriate accommodation it’s also been vetoed because of the Corps pandemic restrictions. I’m told no residential stuff allowed, although was sure it had started up again along with offshore voyages.

Anyway, lots of other things to try for days out. Pompey & Chatham Historic Dockyard jump out. I’ll try my cunning plan again when I’m more established, if I haven’t had all the adventure sucked out of me…

LupDup

Quick question to do with junior SCC if I may.
Do juniors go away on 'annual camp' during the summer hols with the rest of the unit?
If yes, is this shore based or on board something big and bangy?

I should say that my lad is a junior and has got it into his head that he'll be in the ops room or on the bridge of a destroyer. I'm trying to let him down without too much disappointment...bless'im.

BusterQuin

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Slightly different to 'my day'.... We were given warrants and travelled to Plymouth, changing 3 times ALL BY OURSELVES!! Somehow we got to Raleigh, I was 16 and i/c of the three of us. We had Cinderella leave and I recall getting into Guzz, in rig (with Sea Cadet flashes!) and getting beer in The Brown Bear - obviously I didn't know at the time it was a bar for gentlemen with a penchant for soft furnishings! After the week's course, we somehow managed to get all the way back to the Burg again! Happy Daze.

On another note, I was talking to a Scout Leader recently and was told the rigmarole they have to go through just to have a camp-fire nowadays - amazing.
I remember the happy days as a 14 and 15 year old in the late 70s being issued a warrant to travel from Twickenham to Helston and Plymouth for courses at Raleigh and Seahawk

Dredd

War Hero
Super Moderator
Quick question to do with junior SCC if I may.
Do juniors go away on 'annual camp' during the summer hols with the rest of the unit?
If yes, is this shore based or on board something big and bangy?

I should say that my lad is a junior and has got it into his head that he'll be in the ops room or on the bridge of a destroyer. I'm trying to let him down without too much disappointment...bless'im.

It depends on the Area. I know Northern was running Junior camps at one point in the not so distant past.

CaptainPlume

Badgeman
Wow.
Here was me thinking I had little to offer the SCC/CCF - I had not realised that reading a train timetable is such a challenge....
It was all getting between platform & train before the doors closed that caused the problem. Just hope the didn’t try escalators ;)

In seriousness I meet Cadets round town by themselves, yet if on an organised event they can’t be anywhere without two adults present. The Cadets themselves find it hilarious!

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
It was all getting between platform & train before the doors closed that caused the problem. Just hope the didn’t try escalators ;)

In seriousness I meet Cadets round town by themselves, yet if on an organised event they can’t be anywhere without two adults present. The Cadets themselves find it hilarious!
Safeguarding has become a burgeoning enterprise, in a similar manner to D & I. I fear we will bread children who cant find their own way out of a paper bag.

Latest Threads