SCC instructor

Painting a target on myself with this one potentially but....

Ex RN junior officer (went outside via MBOS - non voluntarily - at Lt after 4 years), and prolific poster on here, seriously considering joining the SCC as an instructor/leader/whatever now there's 12 years of water under the bridge. Ex CCF(RN) myself, and totally on board with the idea it's a uniformed youth group, not the RN. Just reckon I might have something to offer.

Any SCC types able to advise (before I contact the organisation centrally) whether I'm likely to be useful or not? Also upsides/downsides?

ta

I am ex RN, time done to pension, I have been a CFAV with the ACF,CCF RN and Army and know with the SCC, due to moving about with the RN and then job changes after leaving. The CoC in the SCC is what can be best described as "interesting". Its best to remember that many within the SCC have never been in the RN and are purely SCC, which means they don't think like matelots. To be fair I prefer the ex matelots as they know what you are thinking, the pure SCC CFAVs can be an "adventure" to work with. At the end of the day I do it for the cadets and to see them grow. I have many ex cadets that I now class as friends that are scattered across society, from those that joined up and became officers to those working in shops and everything in between. Its a shame that the cadet forces do not all apply the same rules as what you can do in one cadet force you cant in another, that can be/is F$$$ing annoying. Any more questions fire away!

Any more questions fire away!
You fool....

(thanks, BTW)

That's about where I am with it tbh - I enjoyed my own time in the cadets, narrowly decided against being a teacher when I went outside, but v interested in the bringing the youth on aspect which tbh is where I want to get something a bit more out of life. Not remotely bothered by the uniform/walting side of things, I've done my time thanks, and don't confuse the wavy navy stripes with the straight ones! Considered the ACF for a change of scenery/colour but actually SCC feels like a better fit (I've mulled it over for 12 months now at the back of my mind).

Anyway.... time commitments - the units closest to me all seem to parade twice a week. Not sure I could *commit* to it - I might be able to do it, but not every week by any means as I have occasional evening work and, some other elements of what you might call a life! Is that likely to be a show stopper? Also, given the national site seems to be ambiguous on the point, do I start the ball rolling centrally or by contacting the unit? Or, secret option c, some form of county/regional org?

thanks again.

You fool....

(thanks, BTW)

That's about where I am with it tbh - I enjoyed my own time in the cadets, narrowly decided against being a teacher when I went outside, but v interested in the bringing the youth on aspect which tbh is where I want to get something a bit more out of life. Not remotely bothered by the uniform/walting side of things, I've done my time thanks, and don't confuse the wavy navy stripes with the straight ones! Considered the ACF for a change of scenery/colour but actually SCC feels like a better fit (I've mulled it over for 12 months now at the back of my mind).

Anyway.... time commitments - the units closest to me all seem to parade twice a week. Not sure I could *commit* to it - I might be able to do it, but not every week by any means as I have occasional evening work and, some other elements of what you might call a life! Is that likely to be a show stopper? Also, given the national site seems to be ambiguous on the point, do I start the ball rolling centrally or by contacting the unit? Or, secret option c, some form of county/regional org?

thanks again.
I shift work and volunteer so time is not an issue, as a retired officer you are better going uniform, it makes it easier to argue "safeguard". At work at the minute, response to posts may be slow!

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

All cadet forces struggle for CFAVs, it is quite a commitment but if you offer what you can and let them know when you can't turn up, its not a problem.

Anyway.... time commitments - the units closest to me all seem to parade twice a week. Not sure I could *commit* to it - I might be able to do it, but not every week by any means as I have occasional evening work and, some other elements of what you might call a life! Is that likely to be a show stopper?
No - you can give what you can and as long as you are up front about it, it will not be a problem as your UTO can plan around that. What does bugger things up is unreliable inconsistency - not turning up when they are expecting you.

Also, given the national site seems to be ambiguous on the point, do I start the ball rolling centrally or by contacting the unit? Or, secret option c, some form of county/regional org?
Unit. They will start the process off for you, and you can see how it all works - try before you buy. Plus, unlike the ACF (and ATC, I believe), you are not assigned to a Unit because each one is it's own individual charity hence the reason it spends so much time fund-raising to keep running, albeit with some central "support" in terms of uniform provision and Area / National courses. So on this basis, if you contact them centrally you would simply be referred to contact your nearest Unit. Use the MSSC website for contact details, but if you already know location and parade times, just rock up and express interest - they should be keen to get you involved. If not . . . try another Unit.

As someone still serving and a CFAV on my weekends and leave period, I find it very rewarding, if at sometimes stressful (the MSSC for some reason likes to try to tone down too many connections to the RN for one reason or another and some politics do happen, but then I see a cadet who finally gets the hang of something and I realise why I do it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As someone still serving and a CFAV on my weekends and leave period, I find it very rewarding, if at sometimes stressful (the MSSC for some reason likes to try to tone down too many connections to the RN for one reason or another and some politics do happen, but then I see a cadet who finally gets the hang of something and I realise why I do it!

Are you allowed to be appointed as a CFAV, I thought they had altered the rules so you could not do both? Back in 2006 whilst I was still serving the said you couldn't be appointed as a CFAV, as I already was they let me stay? I was an SI in the ACF and CPOET in the mob.

Are you allowed to be appointed as a CFAV, I thought they had altered the rules so you could not do both? Back in 2006 whilst I was still serving the said you couldn't be appointed as a CFAV, as I already was they let me stay? I was an SI in the ACF and CPOET in the mob.

I am as a CI with my CO’s permission to wear uniform.

Coming from someone who is a current CFAV and not ex navy or currently serving. You would be 100% wanted by your local Unit ex serving CFAV are a wealth of knowledge and can really help the "Sea Cadet Experience". The best thing to do is contact you local Unit and arrange a meeting with their CO/OiC and Chairman.

My one piece of advice is that you will be joining the Sea Cadets which is a youth charity and it is not the Royal Navy a lot of people join and forget that this is an organisation for kids and not serving your country.

If you want any advice just message me :)

Coming from someone who is a current CFAV and not ex navy or currently serving. You would be 100% wanted by your local Unit ex serving CFAV are a wealth of knowledge and can really help the "Sea Cadet Experience". The best thing to do is contact you local Unit and arrange a meeting with their CO/OiC and Chairman.

My one piece of advice is that you will be joining the Sea Cadets which is a youth charity and it is not the Royal Navy a lot of people join and forget that this is an organisation for kids and not serving your country.

If you want any advice just message me :)
That's the trouble with some CFAVs with no military experience, they actually think they are officers/senior rates, when we are actually just youth leaders. The same can be said of some "veterans" that join cadets, some claim to be the second man on the balcony of the Iranian Embassy seige, must have been a big balcony!

To paraphrase, "Ask not what your unit can do for you but what you can do for your unit."
Good and rewarding if you get stuck in and opportunities to weeks away on ships. Give it a go and test the water. :cool:

To paraphrase, "Ask not what your unit can do for you but what you can do for your unit."
Good and rewarding if you get stuck in and opportunities to weeks away on ships. Give it a go and test the water. :cool:
If you have any contacts still serving that's a good foot in the door for visits to bases, ships, boats etc.

I've been thinking about this recently, I was an SCC Cadet, qualified as an RO (2) but ended up several years after leaving joining the TA. Funny thing is the ACF holds no interest with me. I did make some enquiries a few years ago about the Air Cadets but they seemed to have their heads lost so far up their backsides that the local plod had to send a search and rescue team to look for them! My main interest is getting the cadets interested in radio operations, back in the day the SCC RO courses were all about getting cadets into amateur radio (something the Air cadets are against!).

My old SCC unit when I first joined as a cadet was one of the more mediocre ones, then they started a Parents and Supporters Association of which my dad was vice chairman, which raised shed loads of money, the unit even built its own field gun and ran a display team for years!

The only thing that is putting me off at the mo is that I'm now 50 will they be that interested in hearing from me?

I've been thinking about this recently, I was an SCC Cadet, qualified as an RO (2) but ended up several years after leaving joining the TA. Funny thing is the ACF holds no interest with me. I did make some enquiries a few years ago about the Air Cadets but they seemed to have their heads lost so far up their backsides that the local plod had to send a search and rescue team to look for them! My main interest is getting the cadets interested in radio operations, back in the day the SCC RO courses were all about getting cadets into amateur radio (something the Air cadets are against!).

My old SCC unit when I first joined as a cadet was one of the more mediocre ones, then they started a Parents and Supporters Association of which my dad was vice chairman, which raised shed loads of money, the unit even built its own field gun and ran a display team for years!

The only thing that is putting me off at the mo is that I'm now 50 will they be that interested in hearing from me?
Absolutely, all the cadet forces are desperate for volunteers, we have one who has just joined that is 62,he is on his induction course next weekend, then he can don a uniform, just do it, good luck!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BARNEYRNSM SCC and URNU 12
H SCC and URNU 3
P SCC and URNU 3