SCC AI interview.

Discussion in 'SCC and URNU' started by Captain Morgan, May 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi guys and gals,

I have my AI interview this thursday and was wandering if anyone could offer me any tips or pointers please?

2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Personally, I'd say dont waste your time. SCC keep screaming for volunteers, but the moment you put your head forward and say 'can I help' they never bother to take you seriously. Offered my time on several occasions to SCC, and have got nowhere - fed up of that. Sorry guys, don't whinge about not having instructors if you don't bother to take seriously inquiries from people who want to help you!

3. Thank's I will keep that in mind and I hope I get some better luck.

4. Not knowing anything about you it is difficult to provide specific advice however, 'Committment' is the key word, whichever type of instructor you're wishing to be. If you go for uniformed inst expect to make a minimum 50% attendance whereas civvie inst (CI) attend as required.
    Either way it is a slow drawn-out process so be patient, Child Protection is the main reason for this.

Don't worry too much about the knowledge; you'll receive that from the various number of courses you have to attend.

If you want specific advice feel free to pm me.

PT, I've seen this before and have a good idea where it comes from. Often the unit staff involved have no appreciation of what the RN is or what their personnel can offer. Coupled with blinkered and bad management/leadership it becomes their loss. Definately NOT applicable to all SCC units.

5. Thanks R12 I might take you up on that mate!

6. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Went CI for my local Air Cadet unit last year (nearest maritime cadets are over 60 miles away) having previously been a registered Scout Leader. One comparison I made that went down well was that while both organisations provide invaluable development activities for youth, the cadets provide far better introduction to the adult world (there's a reason it was known as Boy Scouts for so long!).

7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

To be honest P_T, i think this would depend on the individual unit. The SCC near me are brilliant and extremely supportive of their instructors. They even invited us Pongos to their Trafalgar Night dinner, obviously to add a bit of class.

Captain Morgan. Give it a go.

8. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I'd love to help with the SCC, I really would. I think the cadets are a brilliant idea, and need support. I'm just incredibly dissapointed that in the area I live, where there are several units, I was met with a resounding air of 'meh' when I offered to help out.

Call me cynical, but I can't help but wonder whether some units instructors are secretly scared that a serving individual with relevant experience may show them up a little!

9. Blackrat

I see where you are coming from. The ACF can be a hotbed of Walts who don't like ex regulars. I felt the hostility of some when i rocked up. However, i've found that there are those with no military experience who have got quite a lot to offer. They leave the field based stuff to people like me. It works. Of course, not all ACF units are like mine. I'll be the first to admit that. Equally, not all ex regs make good instructors. It's swings and roundabouts.

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  10. We invite Crabs for our piss take...:-D

Local ACF won't accept our invites?!

11. Blackrat

That's because they're probably badged to something gay like RLC.

12. Okay attended my interview last night, went really well.... OIC and all staff were really nice and welcoming and dispite the ribbing that I used to be a "foot stomper" I came away with all of the forms to filll in and the feeling that I've made the right choice. Going back monday to hand in forms, photo's etc...

13. That all done now? What's happening next for you?

14. Yup all forms and photo's etc... handed in. Start helping out (supervised of course) on Thursday until paperwork is back, really nice supportive guys and no Walts on the radar yet either looks good so far.

15. Sounds fantastic. Keep us posted.

16. Okay I'm now sitting in on lessons, they got me joining in with colours and I've been offered to assist on a trip to take Junior Cadets around HMS Bristol. Can't fault the guys so far (ACF could learn a hell of a lot).

17. I've just joined up my my 'local' unit.
    Being an Ex. ACF and ATC cadet, i've worked with the unit already and they were very keen to have me onboard.
    Now its a case of getting the red tape sorted, and away we go!

I wonder if anyone could paint me a picture of the route into uniformed staffing from here on?

18. when your paperwork comes back, have a chat with the CO and indicate that you would like to go into uniform. (if you havent already done so).

you will need to do an induction course, which also covers child protection. thsi is mandatory for all Civillian and uniformed staff.

if i recall you will need an interview with the district officer (troop commander if your going green). then you fill in the form.

you will need then complete 5 modules (6 for RMC staff) you have 3 years to complete these courses before you can go for your advancement course (it can be done in under 3 years, they just give 3 years as some people struggle getting time off with work).

 Basic Drill
     First Aid
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Instructional Methods
     Youth Development
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT] 
     Seamanship (Blue Jackets)
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]Map Reading (RMC)
     Fieldcraft (RMC)
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

page 73 of the link below should explain more.

http://www.sccheadquarters.com/User...lations/SCRs/SCR 2008 Edition - Change 13.pdf

hope that helps.

19. Thanks that helps a lot! I didn't realise there was a change 13 out.
    I'm a bit confused by the whole probatiory bit, as some parts seem to say you have to do the 6 months as a PCI, before becoming an APO, whereas other places in the Pam, and in "Guidance For Advancement" say something about the 'new system' allowing TI's//CI's to become PPO's rather than PCI's for the initial 6 months prior to the AIC being completed, and then advance to an APO.
    The Guidance For Advancement itself says:
    and
    Is this current our out-dated already? Because there doesn't seem to be a clear route in...

I've asked the Boss to look into it for me, but i'd like to see if anyone else has come across this?

20. The changeover to the new system of adult induction is still clearing the decks in terms of references in MSSC publications, so for clarity:

Only Cadets rated Petty Officer Cadet (POC) may make the immediate transfer to PPO (Probationary Petty Officer) so they can continue in uniform, albeit they swap out the square rig for fore-and-aft. In some cases the Leading Cadets (LC) may be allowed to do so under certain circumstances.

For everyone else, regardless of whether they are ex-cadets or those walking in off the street, they will be required to do a minimum 6 month period as a Probationary Civilian Instructor (PCI) before they decide whether to transfer to uniform, where they become a APO (Acting Petty Officer), or to dispense with the "probationary" and become a full CI. For uniform staff they then have 2 years in which to achieve the 5 compulsory modules (or to get exemptions for qualifications already held) and will then be confirmed as full Petty Officers(SCC). For CIs, the requirement is only to take First Aid and Instructional Method (IM) within the following 12 months although exemptions are possible with current qualifications.

The only real difference for the Royal Marines Cadets are the ranks and a change in some of the compulsory modules, otherwise the route in is the same.

In any case, everyone is required to do an Adult Induction Course (AIC) within 6 months of joining as an adult instructor.

And of course all of the above is dependant on successfully passing a disclosure check.

And you thought the RN was acronym driven . . .