Scary Sea Stories.

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by UncleAlbert, Mar 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Who is this extra crew member?

A friend of mine having hired a crew to take his 38` boat to Spain, decided to join them. Leaving Port Solent bound for Jersey where they were to buy more nav. equipment for the trip, the delivery crew didn’t wait for a weather window and even though it was blowing F7/8 just went.
    Halfway across the channel with the sea on the starb`d beam the boat was in trouble and had suffered 3 semi knockdowns. Calling a passing ship on 16 they got a course for Cherbourg and limped in.
    I said to my friend, weren`t you scared, Yes he said I was at my wits end but then the strangest thing happened, sitting in the corner of the saloon was a woman dressed all in black with a black hood and when she smiled at me all my fear seemed to drain away. She stayed with us until we reached Cherbourg then she was gone.

This reminded me of something that happened in 1970 when I was living in Singapore with the Missus and small son working from the naval dockyard on fleet maintenance attached to HMS Triumph. During the second year we were there we got involved with a crowd that spent most weekends banyaning, To borrow a navy boat for the day from the Triumph all that was needed was a killick seaman working on the boats party (Kev) and a stoker with a diesel certificate (me).
    Our favourite spot was Changi beach, a good run from the dockyard but easy to find as the main channel was marked by large red nav buoys and was easy to follow.
    So usual routine on a Sat morning three couples and 4 kids met up at the boat and with 2 dustbins full of Ice and Tiger and a full tank of fuel we set off
    After a couple of hours we reached Changi and running the nose of the boat onto the beach set about the cans of tiger. This particular day the tide didn’t come back in till about 6. anyway we managed to get off at about 6.30 and with Kev at the tiller started back towards the dockyard.
    The boat itself was a navy cutter, an open boat about 35ft with a canvas cuddy for the first 1/3 of its length and steered with a tiller from the back. We were all well drunk and ducking under the cuddy as it had started to rain we were having a good laugh.
    After about half an hour it started to get dark and the rain had set in, feeling sorry for Kev I went aft to relieve him, juss follow the buoys, he slurred, as you lose one you’ll see the next and off he went to join the rest in the shelter of the cuddy.
    At first I thought that there was something strange about our surroundings then my blood ran cold, Kevin had been following the buoys alright but instead of heading towards the dockyard he was going in the wrong direction and with the fairways in sight we were heading towards the South China Sea.
    Realising we were in danger I decided not to let anyone know what was happening and gently eased the boat into a massive u turn settling back on course towards the dockyard.
    Standing at the tiller trying to work out the fuel a couple of times I was asked did I want to be relieved. No point you getting wet, I shouted back, but all the time I was scared we weren’t going to make it straining through the rain to line up the lights on the buoys.
    Then I realised there was a man standing beside me, he was tall and slim and was peering ahead towards the buoy lights, suddenly I felt reassured and it seemed perfectly natural for him to be beside me. I knew we would make it.

We got back to the Dockyard at about 10 o`clock, Thanks said everyone as I stood on the stern soaked to the skin. Yes, said Kev, Done a good job.
    Of course what they didn`t realize ,and I never told them, was that I was only partly responsible, and that the real credit was down to a tall Tiffy in a pair of overalls, clutching a packet of blue liners in his hand.

Just wondered if anyone else here has either experienced this sort of thing or knows anyone that has?
  2. Ive got one for you, Albert. Not strictly a "sea" story, so bear with me: My father flew B-24 bombers out of Fenton Field, Aus. in WWII. One day returning from a strike on japanese shipping, his radio-gunner disappeared. At 20,000ft over the pacific. The official story was that he lost his marbles, and jumped out. The catch is; the only way out of the older 24's was either through the bomb-bay or waist windows. The bomb-bay doors were closed, and could only be opened in-flight by the pilots or bombardier, and the waist gunners were on their guns the whole time. there was no concievable way he could have jumped unnoticed. No one noticed he was gone until dad called on the comm for a freq. change and got no answer. As far as I know, he's still listed MIA.....but who knows?
  3. Remember a matelot dying on the Triumph from cereberal malaria when we were tied up alongside her in Mombasa about 1967, who knows maybe he was looking after shipmates if he was also a tiffy.
  4. When i was fishing in the early 80s there was a trawler,i think she was called the 'Basalt'.Seems she was steaming ashore one very bad night,one guy on the wheel, the rest of the crew in their bunks.The lad on watch thought he saw movement on the deck.Sticks on the deck lights and sees somebody on the deck, Yellow oilskins,hood up. Its a horrendous night so he slides down one of the wheelhouse windows and shouts down to him to get the fuck below, before hes washed out of her. the figure looks up and its an empty set of oilskins. Your man naturally planks himself and runs below, a gibbering wreck to get the rest of the lads up. Nothing there, and deck lights out when they get up. Turns out some poor soul had topped himself in the engine room a number of years before.The lad on watch didnt know this.only heard about it when the other lads got up. Needless to say he was off her the moment she touched the pier wall.