SBS (R)

Axemaker

According to their website they only recruit people with previous military experience. Does this mean ex-regs only or can reservists apply as well?

Skiffle

Midshipman
SBS R Troop draw exclusively from the reserve forces (reason for the R). Under the new UKSF they are now recruiting from any of the reserve units RMR, RNR, TA and AuxRAF.

You are expected to have at least 3 years of training behind you after completing your units recruit training but as long as your TO says you're good enough an egg you can go for it.

All SBS R Troop training takes place at Poole so some travelling may be required and there beat up selection prior to there main hill phase is 3 days of CFT's followed by some swim tests.

Axemaker

Thanks guys.

Are there any reliable websites about the SBS that anyone could point to? Particularly one that has anything on the reserve.

The SAS seem to have a load of them but I can't fid one on the SBS.

ThePunisher

Lantern Swinger
I had a look at the SBS(R) section on UKSF(R). One thing that struck me was the "Initial Selection", which lasts 4 days...what happens after that? Do the ones who pass the 4 days go on to Joint Selection on the hills with 21/23 SAS? I had read that both the Regular Regiment and SBS now do the same JSF Selection.
And before anyone asks why I don't just 'phone them: I'm too old. Just being a bit of a Walt(hangs head in shame...)

ThePunisher

Lantern Swinger
So do 21 & 23 do the same Briefing Course? Because back in 2001, 23 SAS held their "own" Selection until Test Week, when both TA Regiments and recruits for the regular Regiment were tested together.
Since both SAS and SBS now have Volunteer Reserve counterparts, along with 63 Signals, I wonder if they will set up Reserve Joint Services Support Group. Hope so; I love the Waffen SS-style badge...

On the basis that the SC and SAS briefing courses are completely different in the regulars, I'm willing to bet that the reservists do it differently as well!

No real point in a JSFSG(R) - they work at approximately Company level and I'm sure if a reservist Company was needed 4 Para or a RMR mixyblob could be put together.

ThePunisher

Lantern Swinger
The SBS(R) and SAS(V) Selection and training will, by necessity, be less intensive than the Regular units. If for no other reason than it's is spread over a much longer period.
However, UKSF(R) will train to get as close to Regular standards as possible, so they can work alongside Regular SF on Operations.

The point of JSFG(R) would be to increase the amount of trained personnel available for Deployment in support of Regular forces. An ad hoc grouping of 4 Para and RMR would not work. That's why the Regular Para's, Marines and Rockapes who make up JSFG have been selected and made a part of this new unit. They will be givin extra training specific to the new role they have to perform.

There is no real selection process for JSFSG beyond that applied by the Appointers and Drafty. There are lots of arguements on ARRSE regarding this group, but my opinion is that money can better spent increasing the size of JSFSG (if that's required) than producing an (R) version.

ThePunisher

Lantern Swinger
On the MoD website it said that applicants for JSFG would have to be a higher calibre thn normal soldiers, but they would not have to pass UKSF Selection. If you beleive what you read in the Scum - never a good idea - recruits are put through a series of fitness tests. According to the Scum, the Marines actually failed the tests, while the Rockapes and Paras passed.
Sounds like a load of bovine excrement. All due respect to the RAF's finest, but I can't seem them out-performing Bootnecks.