SBS from Navy

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by UKUSUK, Jul 13, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

I know it is possible, but does anyone go from the RN to SBS selection? Would it be possible for an officer to do this? How would it be done?

Thanks

2. Not normally, they would usually come from the Royal Marines. This is mainly due to the fact that a naval officers military training is completely different to a RM officer. That said some naval officers have made to grade, but few a far between.

SM

:)

3. Anyone whom sets thier sites and can do it and then goes on and proves can do it .CAN DO IT .We had a parahutist on one of my ships he was a killick .He did it didnt he ???? :)

4. I suppose it is also theoretically possible to go to SAS selection from the RN also, as all the selections are under the umbrella of UKSF. As an officer, how much time must one have served and have left to be eligible for UKSF (either SAS or SBS)? Is it simply a matter of applying for selection, or do you have to be selected for selection?

Thanks

5. Yes it is possible.
    I met a matelow once who was in 21 SAS. He was a mega old sweat and there was talk at the time of him becoming the first RSM in the Regiment with a navy background.
    Good effort.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

As stated above RN Officers, and indeed Ratings can undergo SF selection, but the problem is that unless they've undergone All Arms Commando Course, your average matelot has bog-all fieldcraft skills. Source trades are traditionally Divers, amongst many others, but the Brecon Beacon Hall of Mirrors usually prevents them passing the navigational speed marches within prescribed timescales unfortunately.

Sorry to disappoint all aspiring SF Officers, but to manage realistic expectations: Officers (allegedly) plan, co-ordinate & manage combined assets to maximum effect rather than single-handedly storm embassies with coastal vistas - in other words the "hands on" sentry-stabbing, sniping, underwater origami "Call of Doody 4" stuff is more predominantly the domain of Other Ranks.

7. I think you need to make your mind up about what your long term aspirations are, do you want to be RM or Navy? do you want to be a doctor or not?

Selection is open to you, although not as a doctor. As SM has already highlighted passing it from the RN is extremely challenging because the base military skills aren't there. Given that you're talking elsewhere about six years worth of medical training you'll be coming out of RN training at around 31, that doesn't leave you much time to prepare and undertake selection.

Have a serious think about what you really want to do.

8. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You can of course by pass a lot of the training, if like me, you have gained you cub scout fieldcraft badge.

9. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Actually it is very possible. Given the paucity of RM officers passing selection there are now a lot of SAS officers on loan to the SBS, which is politically embarrassing given the struggle to obtain their own cap badge etc.

Recent policy has been that if any junior officer expresses a desire to his CM, then they can start the process.

The process is obvioulsy fairly rigorous. Start with the AACC as a warm up and then SBS pre selection before heading off to Hereford.

What are the hurdles? Well the biggest snag is not always the physical side - anyone of the right mind set can train etc etc. but for RN officers it is the Oficers Week itself. This is the part of selection where officers are subjected to the mission planning tests and whilst Army officers are completely at ease with the Commend Estimate process and 7 Questions etc, RN officers are not, and therefore struggle.

Until now. Following the Cornwall incident in 07, one of the things highlighted was the fact that we needed to adopt a similar approach and therefore cadets at BRNC are now taught a maritime version of the Army's estimate process, so hopefully the gap will narrow.

Hope this helps

10. I remember a Matelot Petty Officer (with considerable service diving experience) successfully doing this a few years back, but have not heard of an RN Officer completing selection. I might be wrong.

11. silverfox

and neither have I, at BRNC we became a sort of parent station for candidates - we counted them out and invariably counted them back in again..........

12. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

:lol: you forgot holding your breath for 20mins & the thousand yard stare.

13. Fcukin hell Silverfox, you are the most vicious club swinger I've ever met! Normally we just jog around for ten minutes and do some sprints.

14. silverfox

with a break for a tab halfway? My kind of circuits.........

15. I have heard of RN officers spending say two years on a post with the SBS, but remaining RN. I guess even the SBS from time to time will have to call on the superior planning, management and leadership skills of an RN officer.

16. Back on topic, in the last 3 or so years I know of at least one RN Officer in the SBS and two in the SRR.

So it is possible. But as has been stated, if you want to do the rolling around in the mud and climbing up the side of moving ships why join the Navy?

17. Because that sounds like a good night out.

18. It does doesn't it? Reminds me of the Cape Verde incident, but that's for another day.