Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by alexissonice, Mar 15, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. frivolities aside, and in the case where you have no other financial commitments... Is it possible to save quite a large portion of your salary if you're living on a ship?
  2. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Not if Nelson the bully nicks your lunch money.
  3. Not if you go down the crew bar everynight and then to the cinema on Saturday.
  4. Not if you get invoved with the inter mess Poker society.

Especially if you are crap at Poker.
  5. I would say no. Nothing worse than staying onboard a ship alongside in the UK even more so when foreign. You will literally go crazy.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

The true answer is YES. That is for a non-drinking, non smoking, no gambling, no going ashore kind of guy. For the rest...unlikely!
  7. I'm going to be rich! Wait, what?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  8. Don't play spoof!
  9. Jeez how old are you ? You surely dont join the Andrew to save money . You join it for adventure and enjoying the experience in the early years dont you? Whats the point being holed up in a grey metal box for 7 months going mental just to save a few grand ?

If thats your plan join the sun dodgers and you wont have much of a choice but to stay on board most of the time. When you do get off you are provided with a nice hotel .Not only that but you earn more anyway.
  10. Its possible, but not much fun. Even those trying to support a family, do a degree, get their rate up etc, have to crack and part with some beer tokens eventually. If anything I would find it easier living RA at some base, then you can eat at home, and stay off the pop, train in your own time, and who knows, interact with family.
  11. Are you telling me that you lot spunked your entire paycheque as soon as you got it? That at the end of the month you were penniless? Clever

Sure it compulsory to have fun in the navy. I'm definitely not guna sit out on the experience. But I'm 26 going on 27, I've done a hell of allot of partying and travelling all over the world. I've travelled solo round all of Asia, India for years on a budget of about 150 quid a month with no money coming in, and that's having fun, fooling about every day. Are you telling me that with a monthly pay cheque on a deployment and calling in to foreign ports every now and then that it's impossible to save a lump of you're pay cheque and just be a bit more moderate and budget properly? Surley that's not a crime...and I ain't guna lose sleep if I miss a few knees up (which you could do anyway if you budgeted correctly.

Surley living on a ship for free is a unique opportunity to make it worth it in the long run aswell? I suppose there's allot of younger guys joining up and go a bit mental with a pay cheque. Just a different attitude when you're a bit older.
  12. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Join the RN and get paid to see the world. For the majority the money is either pissed up the wall, or it's spent by the other half while you're away.

And don't call me Shirley.
  13. You don't piss it ALL against a wall.
    Some needs to be held back for fines............
    • Like Like x 2
  14. HA! I'm just pulling you leg guys - mines going on long islands.
  15. some fine were with held and you had to go and muster with the men under pun, no chance of saving, when you did not get paid.
    What's this monthly we were paid fortnightly on a Thursday, skint by Monday if not duty weekend.
  16. I'm sure it is very possible. I'm the same age bracket as you and joining partially for that reason among others. I was talking to a lad on a Minesweeper at prnc who was 26 , all he went on about was going on the drink and the places he'd been on the piss. Sound kid like, bit anyway he reckoned he'd saved close to 23 grand in 2.5 years

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  17. You don't get paid by bloody cheque.
  18. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

Blank weeks I always had to borrow 10/- from my Girlfriend. Enough for 6 pints, a packet of fags and the busfare back to the dockyard.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014

19. Cor, that's when something like, I don't know, say a Mess Fund would have come in handy.............

.....if of course any such thing ever in the history of the RN existed. Which couldn't have happened, as it was illegal.

Now that service is supplied by Wonga and suchlike - and it's NOT illegal!