Saving HMS Plymouth

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by oldseadog, Jun 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An appeal has been launched so that HMS Plymouth can be saved and moved to a new, permanent berth.

For details, have a look at the Facebook page Log in | Facebook Donations can be made by clicking the 'Donate Now' button at Marine Support & Training Service in Northumberland

We can do this if we all pull together, so your help is urgently needed!

Please support us in our bid to save the last Type 12, and the last remaining warship from the Falklands Campaign.

2. Aren't there 5 ex Type 21 s that served in the Falklands still with the Pakistani Navy, and probably ex T22s, Leanders and Counties with Brazil, Chile and other Latin American Navies?
  3. I'm not going to bite
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

You forgot the two 42's that the Argentinians have.
  5. And isn't INS Viraat (HMS Hermes) still part of the Indian Navy ORBAT?
  6. Nobody's mentioned INS Viraat yet, apart from me just now obviously......Belay the last, Broadside posted as I was typing.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Some cracking photos of the 'time capsule' HMS Plymouth, it'll bring back memories for many: Inside the 1980s time capsule that is the Falklands War frigate HMS Plymouth - Telegraph

The quote should read:

"....the last remaining warship from the Falklands Campaign in UK."

From my perspective, HMS Plymouth & her crew prevented HMS Argonaut receiving her coup de grace by putting a barrage of 4.5" shells over us to keep the aircraft away as we lay crippled, flooding & on fire. They later tied-up alongside us, after 40 hours slog, relieved-us us with our Damage Control actions whilst we crossed-over and had our first meal. They supplied HP air to get the generators back online & topped us up with feed water to re-start the undamaged boiler.

Argonaut was one of several ships HMS Plymouth gave assistance during the battle and for me, I remain indebted to her and her crew.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Isn't this a bit f8cking late? I would gladly contribute because it's a very worthy cause, but before I do you'll need to confirm that someone has contacted the scrap company that has bought the ship and the company has confirmed that they are willing to cancel their contract. Otherwise it's p1ssing into wind I'm afraid.....
  9. ‘HMS Plymouth Association’ has today (Friday 28th September 2012) announced that its involvement in the fight to save their old ship has finally come to an end.

Working with other individuals and organisations over the last six years, most recently ‘HMS Plymouth Trust Ltd’, to secure the future of HMS Plymouth, we now reluctantly conclude that the end is in sight for our ‘old ship’ and the time has come to be realistic and admit that there is nothing more which can be done to save her.

Whilst the sentiments of ‘HMS Plymouth Trust Ltd.’ and their ambitions for what they wish to achieve for the cadets (quite possibly our future Navy) are more than honourable, we have to remember that at over 50 years old she has very little relevance to today’s Navy and would not afford any great understanding to the cadets of the technology currently in use on board a modern warship.
    It would be nice to think, that as a purely sentimental or historic symbol she could be put to further good use, but at her age we believe it does not make economic sense to lavish millions of pounds on something which would have a very limited lifespan of around 10 years at most.

Whilst wishing the Trust well in its continuing endeavours, it is with regret that we are unable to offer further support in the on-going attempts to save her.

HMS Plymouth will forever be in the hearts and thoughts of those who served on board and for as long as the Association is in being we will raise a glass to her at our annual reunion.
  10. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Looks like a good opportunity for Ambush to get some target practise and the little fishes get a new reef.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. As ever Ninja guess what Plymouth also had two twin brothers onboard from the same class in Dryad the brave lads that died in the magazine, could'nt tell the fcukers apart and had many a laugh trying to bollock the right one. Old girl of a different era but upheld the finest traditions of the service bless em all
  12. My first sea draft was to her sister ship the Yarmouth.I was far from sorry to see the back of it.I fail to see what all the sentimentality is about Falklands veteran or not.