Satisfaction

#41
Cheesenhammyeggy said:
Bisley said:
Montigny_La_Palisse said:
Purple_twiglet said:
RNR baiting gets very boring very quickly - this forum regularly gets people turning up going "RNR do feck all, bloody part timers" etc etc. We've seen and heard it all before and its really dull.

By all means stay and contribute, but just accept that the RNR requires a heavy level of commitment akin to running a 2nd career and that sometimes we get hacked off with the challenges we face.
Oh turn it in you part time girl, you do fcuk all anyway.

So you travel a bit and work the odd weekend and tuesday night. It may surprise you that the regs work nights and weekends too. More often than you do. And drive around the country most weekends getting home. So accept the banter or do one. Or acquire a sense of humour.
HA HA HA :thumright:

funniest thing i have read for a while :rendeer:

The regs i work with only work a 37 hour week on a flexi basis. If work weekends get a day back. Have 1 make a mend a week and a sports afternoon. IAW 2nd Sea Lords directive.

Not bad for a SR on over £32K a year. Thats why a love it.
Wish the plastic matelots would wind it in.... home nearly every night. Usually getting paid twice while away training, as for make a mends and sports make a mends.....didn't see many of them during my seven months away last year!!! Don't like it leave or man up and join the regulars!

IF you dont like going away baffoon boy you shouldn't have joined up :roll: . I am a regular, thats why i know exactly the routine people ashore work.

At sea is a different matter though. Apart from Stores bashers who still seem to slip in a 9 till 4 routine :D
 
#43
I am just shocked that the hours put in by regulars, if these posts are to be accepted as true. If they work 9 to 5,five days a week and have a 37.5 hour working week as is the norm in civvie street then we the supplier of funds are losing.

2.5 hours for the 1 hour lunch instead of 30 minutes.
1 hour for the Monday morning 10 am turn to.
4.5 hours for the Friday 12 noon finish, counting this as the weekly Make and Mend.
and another 4.5 hours for the Sports afternoon
any overtime put in given as TOIL(Time Off In Lieu)

12.5 hours out of the 37.5 hours week or 33% seems a good life to me.

Nutty
 
#45
Nutty said:
I am just shocked that the hours put in by regulars, if these posts are to be accepted as true. If they work 9 to 5,five days a week and have a 37.5 hour working week as is the norm in civvie street then we the supplier of funds are losing.

2.5 hours for the 1 hour lunch instead of 30 minutes.
1 hour for the Monday morning 10 am turn to.
4.5 hours for the Friday 12 noon finish, counting this as the weekly Make and Mend.
and another 4.5 hours for the Sports afternoon
any overtime put in given as TOIL(Time Off In Lieu)

12.5 hours out of the 37.5 hours week or 33% seems a good life to me.

Nutty

It's all flexible working now. New PC world order in the Mob. Got to keep little billy happy so he can have time on his WII and playstation.

Anyway civvies do most of the jobs. 8O
 
#46
Ladies and gentlemen,

We have been down this road many times before and it never gets us anywhere.

Civvy St/RNR is different to the RN and while people may try to pretend they can be the same by bringing procedures closer together it will never work.

When i am a civvy i work a 8 1/2 hour day, 5 day week with an hour for lunch and no other breaks. If i do overtime i do not get paid for it or days off on leiu.

I get 18 days a year holiday which i can choose to take pretty much when i want. I get two weeks off at Christmas, like it or not. I usually get 1 week off at easter, unless we're busy, in which case i work 4 days over easter and these days i can take in leiu.

I get paid my mileage to and from home, which i am taxed on. I also get business mileage which i am entitled to claim the tax back on. I generally get a bonus once a year.

I use at least 10 days holiday a year for the RNR which sometimes means the wife and kids only get a one week holiday a year.

I complain about thing at work as everyone does but i still turn up and do the job.

When i'm with the RNR i do as i'm told. Simple as that.
If they tell me to get in early then i get in early.
If they tell me to finish late then i finish late and vise versa.
If they tell me to have two hours for dinner i do it.
If they tell me i'm entitled to claim something then i claim it if i need to.
If they tell me i'm not entitled to something then i don't get it.

I complain about things in the RNR, as everyone does but i still turn up and do the job.

I've had crap PSI's but i'm glad to say that the majority, certainly in the past 4 years or so have been excellent.

In short if you don't like your hand, throw it in, but you cannot compare a Civvy/RNR to a regular or vise versa as they are both very very different.

Now, I'm off to start a new thread as soon as i find something thats not worth complaining about :lol:
 

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
Moderator
#47
Time for a seperate thread called "Get it off your chest", where all the ""RN Vs RNR epeen comparing threads" can be moved too? That way we can talk about stuff without having it taken OT?
 
#48
Bisley said:
Nutty said:
I am just shocked that the hours put in by regulars, if these posts are to be accepted as true. If they work 9 to 5,five days a week and have a 37.5 hour working week as is the norm in civvie street then we the supplier of funds are losing.

2.5 hours for the 1 hour lunch instead of 30 minutes.
1 hour for the Monday morning 10 am turn to.
4.5 hours for the Friday 12 noon finish, counting this as the weekly Make and Mend.
and another 4.5 hours for the Sports afternoon
any overtime put in given as TOIL(Time Off In Lieu)

12.5 hours out of the 37.5 hours week or 33% seems a good life to me.

Nutty
Bisley, where are you working shipmate? Any drafts going? That sounds ace.


It's all flexible working now. New PC world order in the Mob. Got to keep little billy happy so he can have time on his WII and playstation.

Anyway civvies do most of the jobs. 8O
 
#49
Trehorn

Perhaps it is my mathematics, but you attend your work place for 8.5 hours a day but you only work 7.5 hours as you take one hour off for lunch. Now if an owner and paid people by an hourly rate they would only pay them for 7.5 because that is all they work. It is not an attendance allowance but wages for work.

Nutty
 
#50
Talk about splitting hairs!

I'm not paid hourly, therefore it's not a wage - its a salary. Thats why i don't get paid if i do overtime!

According to the RN, a quarter of a day is 2 hours. When recruiting with the RNR we sometimes go to shopping centres. We have to be set up before 8am and we cannot start packing up until after 8pm which equates to over 12 hours, yet we are only entitled to 1 days pay???

I know this, i still do it. Its part of the job.

I think you have too much time on your hands nutty my lad :D
 
#51
trehorn said:
We have to be set up before 8am and we cannot start packing up until after 8pm which equates to over 12 hours, yet we are only entitled to 1 days pay???
No; you are entitled to 1.5 days and if you're not getting that, you're being fcuked over shipmate.
 
#52
dunkers said:
trehorn said:
We have to be set up before 8am and we cannot start packing up until after 8pm which equates to over 12 hours, yet we are only entitled to 1 days pay???
No; you are entitled to 1.5 days and if you're not getting that, you're being fcuked over shipmate.
Ok, that was the previous administration. The new one hasn't been tested yet but to date they've been on the ball.

We recruit or we die. If you're told that there are insufficient MTD's and you either take a days pay for 12 hours work or you don't recruit, for the good of the unit you take the days pay. It goes back to my point of not doing this for the money!
 

icantfly

Lantern Swinger
#53
trehorn said:
We recruit or we die. If you're told that there are insufficient MTD's and you either take a days pay for 12 hours work or you don't recruit, for the good of the unit you take the days pay. It goes back to my point of not doing this for the money!
Agreed. That happens a lot, especially when on exercise. I've been out on Loggies ex's from 0700 to 2300, and driving for 6-8 hours of that. Still only one days' pay.
 
#54
:idea: Trehorn

My remarks are directed at regulars who not to long ago were telling us they did not have sufficient hours to have controlled supervised physical exercise to ensure passing RNFT etc. yet arrive late on Monday and leave for LWE either Thursday evening or Friday lunch time.

As for hours worked they are the hours you are engaged on task not having lunch, a sleep. Some, HGV drivers have rest time factored into the working day I do not think that this has yet to reach regulars attached to RNR Units not withstand the incredible work load and pressure they are subjected to in this modern world. 8) 8O :p


Nutty

PS I am retired from financially rewarded employment but having spent time in Pusser, Old Bill and the Leisure Industry I have loads of time to split hairs or I would say correct posters that appear very loose with their language to enhance their argument.


:evil: PPS "Tongue in Cheek may just apply in this thread" :twisted:
 

R12_CV

Lantern Swinger
#55
Don't know if this is relevant but..
Just completed another week long course at the very well know base in Hants and I'm staggered at the amount of time the instructors actually 'instruct'. This is both Flagship and uniform.

0825 start (instructor won't leave his mess until after colours)
30+ min s/easy
1130 lunch
1325 start
30+ min s/easy
1530 finish

Total time in lesson = 4 hours (av)

Instructors comment on my course report...? 'Would benefit with more time practicing with weapon' WTF!!

My 'normal' job is as an instructor/assessor and I know that instructors need prep time, but this was taking the piss, esp for a small arms course.
 
#56
R12_CV said:
Don't know if this is relevant but..
Just completed another week long course at the very well know base in Hants and I'm staggered at the amount of time the instructors actually 'instruct'. This is both Flagship and uniform.

0825 start (instructor won't leave his mess until after colours)
30+ min s/easy
1130 lunch
1325 start
30+ min s/easy
1530 finish

Total time in lesson = 4 hours (av)

Instructors comment on my course report...? 'Would benefit with more time practicing with weapon' WTF!!

My 'normal' job is as an instructor/assessor and I know that instructors need prep time, but this was taking the piss, esp for a small arms course.
R12-CV

May I ask did the course you attended start at 0825 on Monday morning and finish at 1530 on Friday?

Even so the Instructor appears to be working at best 0800 to 1530 which is 7.5 hours less one hour for lunch i.e. a 32.5 hour week is that what they are contracted to do?.

Nutty
 

icantfly

Lantern Swinger
#57
Nutty said:
Even so the Instructor appears to be working at best 0800 to 1530 which is 7.5 hours less one hour for lunch i.e. a 32.5 hour week is that what they are contracted to do?.
My problem is with the word "appears". They appear to be working a full week, but in reality, they don't actually do so..
 

trehorn2

Lantern Swinger
#58
R12_CV said:
Don't know if this is relevant but..
Just completed another week long course at the very well know base in Hants and I'm staggered at the amount of time the instructors actually 'instruct'. This is both Flagship and uniform.

0825 start (instructor won't leave his mess until after colours)
30+ min s/easy
1130 lunch
1325 start
30+ min s/easy
1530 finish

Total time in lesson = 4 hours (av)

Instructors comment on my course report...? 'Would benefit with more time practicing with weapon' WTF!!

My 'normal' job is as an instructor/assessor and I know that instructors need prep time, but this was taking the piss, esp for a small arms course.
I dont think he meant the rifle though R12_CV :D

I have to agree with you on much of what you say though. Very Frustrating for RNR's when you give up your time to attend a course and spend more time drinking tea than actually learning. Seems to happen on RN courses but not on RNR only courses? RNR only courses tend to be very high tempo.

I'm an advocate of merging the 547 and 518 courses together. Most of the 547 is spent going over the same stuff as the 518 which is a wast of time if you ask me?
 

trehorn2

Lantern Swinger
#59
trehorn2 said:
R12_CV said:
Don't know if this is relevant but..
Just completed another week long course at the very well know base in Hants and I'm staggered at the amount of time the instructors actually 'instruct'. This is both Flagship and uniform.

0825 start (instructor won't leave his mess until after colours)
30+ min s/easy
1130 lunch
1325 start
30+ min s/easy
1530 finish

Total time in lesson = 4 hours (av)

Instructors comment on my course report...? 'Would benefit with more time practicing with weapon' WTF!!

My 'normal' job is as an instructor/assessor and I know that instructors need prep time, but this was taking the piss, esp for a small arms course.
I dont think he meant the rifle though R12_CV :D

I have to agree with you on much of what you say though. Very Frustrating for RNR's when you give up your time to attend a course and spend more time drinking tea than actually learning. Seems to happen on RN courses but not on RNR only courses? RNR only courses tend to be very high tempo.

I'm an advocate of merging the 547 and 518 courses together. Most of the 547 is spent going over the same stuff as the 518 which is a wast of time if you ask me?

Before all the RN jump down my throat i'm fully aware of why there are so many stand easy's and early finishes for the full timers. It's just that it can be very frustrating when you use your holidays to attend these courses and spend much of your time drinking tea (which they bloody charge you for it at that???)
 
#60
icantfly said:
Nutty said:
Even so the Instructor appears to be working at best 0800 to 1530 which is 7.5 hours less one hour for lunch i.e. a 32.5 hour week is that what they are contracted to do?.
My problem is with the word "appears". They appear to be working a full week, but in reality, they don't actually do so..
They do not even appear to be working a full week but a 32.5 hour week.

Nutty
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The Internet - Best and Worst 1
alex123 Submariners 21
sgtpepperband Diamond Lil's 0

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top