Satisfaction

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by rogerthecabinboy, Jan 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Given that we are now in the long, dark, journey towards Spring - which may account for my depression, but:

How much satisfaction are you taking from your RNR time.

On a scale from Gronk to Gorgeous, I am currently Cherie Blair,
    i.e. sub-gronk.

Is there anyone there ? :pukel: comment? abuse?
    In your own time, at your own target, go on.

2. Are you having a bad day by any chance?

3. I mobilised a few weeks ago so things are starting to become alot more 'Penny Smith'. Feels like I'm doing what I'm meant to be doing things are good..!

4. What RNR time. I haven't been out of unit since sept!

As for Bev Callard - That would be a very bad time indeed!!! :pukel:

5. I'm back to wondering exactly why I'm still in.. happens every year about this time.

Thinking that maybe I'll collect my third GCS in March and call it quits..

6. I Love it I do............. just love it.

oh RNR..... sorry miles away thinking about something else

7. I left under difficult circumstances about a year ago, and whilst at the time it felt like a bereavement (especially after 23 years) I find that as time has passed I do not miss it at all. All that crap about going in on a Tuesday night and there being nothing to do, crap weekends instructing when your students do not turn up, crap ORT, crap PSIs that do not give a flying fig about someone who has a FT job and then gives up their time in the evenings.

Although on a positive note in the current climate the easy money would be nice. But I can live without all those extra shoes, handbags and spangly things that I used to buy with my bounty.

8. Rosina,

I've been thinking exactly the same the past two or three years. In that time, most of my friends have left for the same reason, and although I've made new friends, I'm just sick of it all.
    I'm sick of having to spend my free time preparing lessons when nobody (or just one person) appears, or coming in to do JPA paperwork only to find out that it's yet another sports evening - two a month is really getting to me especially when to get out of it and complete the paperwork, you have to have permission from the SMB. I've had no ORT in years that I haven't pushed for and spent hundreds of pounds of mobile phone calls organising from work myself because the PSI's just don't give a sh*t, yet still have to take the bollocking because you don't go through them..

My problem is that I'm scared to leave - it's been a part of my life since I was 20.. am now 33. It's been the one stable thing throughout the years.

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I always said that the time to leave the RNR was when I stopped enjoying it, but my emigration precipated an early departure. However, the scenario you both describe is similar to what I was beginning to experience.

The RNR can be something of a habit - I was in for 20+ years, however due to work and personal circumstances I had one period of LOA and one period where my attendance was less than regular. Both occasions gave me an opportunity to take a long hard look at whether I wanted to get back on the RNR merry-go-round or whether I wanted to make the break completely - in both cases I went back refreshed. The key thing that hlped in making these decisions though was a period away from the drudgery of unit routine, a period where I had broken the habit, and the "space" to decide whether I was really still enjoying the RNR. Good luck!

10. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

I stepped away from drill nights 18 months ago and it made a huge difference. I have no involvement at all with my ostensibly parent unit, and merely do branch work. I don't notice the loss in my life of not sitting around an empty unit on a tuesday evening, and I find I get more out of weekends.

Moral of the story - go to weekends and ORT only, ditch the units and you'll possibly have more fun.

11. rosinacarley

I left under difficult circumstances about a year ago, and whilst at the time it felt like a bereavement (especially after 23 years) I find that as time has passed I do not miss it at all. All that crap about going in on a Tuesday night and there being nothing to do, crap weekends instructing when your students do not turn up, crap ORT, crap PSIs that do not give a flying fig about someone who has a FT job and then gives up their time in the evenings.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

silly me ...i actually thought that you got paid for "giving up your time in the evenings" oh well maybe i should volunteer to give up my evenings for free then i can have a drip session as well

12. I'd hardly call it pay - for junior ratings at least.

£10.00 a night. It takes me an hour to get there, an hour to get back and i'm there for two hours. Four hours of my evening for a tenner.

If you do it for the cash then you are desperate. The cash, when you get it, is a bonus.

13. That's exactly the same for me. I'm 65 miles from work to Unit, 85 miles back to home again, and when you get in, very little happens.

Money-wise, I lose more money throughout the year with two-three weeks away, wear and tear on my car and spending hours on the phone. Even the bounty doesn't make up for that.

Maybe I'm the eternal optimist - keep hoping that things will change if I keep wishing for it..

14. ondoes that £10 include being paid to travel into unit ??
    obviously you need to become a senior rating then if you want more than £10 a night
    some of us dont get extra pay for being there and we dont have a choice wether to turn up or not

15. Nope, I get paid about £45 a night in travel expenses - however, by the time I've bought petrol and serviced my car, I come out even. Which is exactly what the travel expenses are designed for..

If you don't have a choice, then you must be a PSI. As such, that's between you and the Unit, but most PSI's I know get a half day off during the week to make up for the evening spent in with the RNR, in addition to sports afternoons, late starts, early finishes. I only wish that I could have that in my civvie job..

16. Purple_twiglet

I've always been impressed at the commitment reservists show, particularly given the flak we get from Regulars who simply don't understand what we have to give up to do our jobs.

I work alongside regular officers daily - they have a blast - they turn up at 10am on a Monday, go home a 1200 on a Friday. If they work weekends on exercises then they get time off during the week. I'm not knocking that - I know they travel a long way and give up a lot to do so. However I wish people would understand that we also travel a long way, and give up a lot to work for the RNR too.

17. sports afternoons,late starts, early finishes....i must be at the wrong unit then cause i have not had any of them...early starts and late finishes are more the norm, and as i use my own car to get in and out of work i dont get travelling expenses so that i can put petrol in the car and get it serviced.... so i come out down

18. Purple_twiglet

Rocky

Fair call you work hard at your unit - no one doubts that. But as a new poster here, may I please offer you some gentle advice:

RNR baiting gets very boring very quickly - this forum regularly gets people turning up going "RNR do feck all, bloody part timers" etc etc. We've seen and heard it all before and its really dull.

By all means stay and contribute, but just accept that the RNR requires a heavy level of commitment akin to running a 2nd career and that sometimes we get hacked off with the challenges we face.

19. i am sure that you have noticed i did not say "RNR do feck all, Bloody part timers" although i am sure some people would. all i was replying about was rosinacarley and the way it was made out that PSI's were crap and that RNR give up their evenings.....sounded like everyone was volunteering their evenings for free. as you must undoubtably know not all PSI's are crap same as all RNR do not do FECK ALL, but you do get paid for turning up, yes some travel a long way but no-one makes them do it
    there is a choice.