Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SAS snubbed as defence chiefs appoint Navy man as Britain's anti-terror chief

Rover

Lantern Swinger
  • Jan 02, 2015 23:44
  • By Chris Hughes

• Special Boat Service officer is first non-Special Air Service man to be appointed as Director of Special Forces

• Defence chiefs have snubbed the SAS by secretly appointing a Navy man as head of Britain’s counter-terror operations.
    The Special Boat Service officer is the first non-SAS man to be appointed Director of Special Forces.

• He beat a string of SAS officers and will advise David Cameron on top-secret military operations.
    The PM signed off his appointment with Chief of the Defence Staff General Sir Nick Houghton.

• It is a huge boost for the SBS, which is deployed on land and sea missions.
    The elite force led kill or capture raids on Taliban forces in Afghanistan while the SAS regiment’s troops were largely in Iraq.

• A senior source said he expected the new man to operate in a more ‘thinking and creative’ style than previously.

• He added: “ He is not the sort to kick doors down, unless he has to. He will look at the problem and see if the issue can be resolved in another manner first.”
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sas-snubbed-defence-chiefs-appoint-4911201

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The SAS are a bit precious about how brilliant they are in relation to the rest of humanity. Plus the fact it could affect book sales.

Seadog

War Hero
How is it a snub? Surely you should be eligible no matter what branch of SF you're from?

I'm not sure that being SF is a requirement. I seem to recall a few previous DSF who didn't know the colour of the boathouse before being appointed.

I still don't know.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Little known fact; The SBS are the best SF unit in the world. Just putting that out there.

Seadog

War Hero
From the Mirror a mere 8 months ago. If there is a replacement already either he was shit or the Mirror writes shit.

I know that there are other options but of the two above, I know what I go with.

Ships_Cat

War Hero
“ He is not the sort to kick doors down, unless he has to. He will look at the problem and see if the issue can be resolved in another manner first.”

Like trying the handle/doorknob?

Rover

Lantern Swinger
Other little known facts.
The SBS was formed a year before the SAS and was operational six months before the SAS.

I think it's short sighted at the very least to allow such a very rare thing as a thinking and creative Royal Marine to be poached by Special Forces. I think he should be polished and placed in a glass case in a prominent public place for everyone to wonder at.

clonmel

Lantern Swinger
Other little known facts.
The SBS was formed a year before the SAS and was operational six months before the SAS.

And it's taken them this long to get someone into the DSF position?

I bet the Hereford Gun Club are bricking it............

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
1 Royal Marine to SAS Air Troop The Corps 27
Ageing_Gracefully Competition: Jock Lewes - Co-founder of the SAS Competitions 19
soleil Telegraph: "SAS Target Taliban Using Royal Navy Submarine Technology" The Fleet Air Arm 4
T SAS war diary: The SAS secret hidden since World War II Current Affairs 2
2_deck_dash Genuine SAS/SBS/STC sunglasses - H4H auction - not to be missed. Charity 18
daffy1 SAS recruitment Current Affairs 0
soleil T'graph: "WikiLeaks: Ex-SAS Officers Hired As 'Human Bait' By Foreign Shipping Firms" Current Affairs 1
Darbi SAS Blue Jokes 2
The_Caretaker SAS Miscellaneous 0
Joint_Force_Harrier The SAS cant get him so send in the Crabs!!!!! Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 16
Deano19 "I'm in the SAS, my mate there is SBS" Diamond Lil's 80
T Sad day for the SAS Diamond Lil's 0
NotmeChief SAS Motto The Gash Barge 35
Topaz SAS down under Diamond Lil's 18
S SAS Down Under. Tv series. RMR 19
Ninja_Stoker Fake SAS "Hero" exposed. Current Affairs 34
Ships_Cat Ex-SAS man deported to Equatorial Guinea Current Affairs 15
sgtpepperband SAS Troopers in £250k Fraud Current Affairs 14
mrsandeel SBS vs SAS The Corps 52
finknottle Broon snubbed by wounded soldiers Current Affairs 11
MoD_RSS British Chief of Defence Staff visited Pakistan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary announces MOD Science and Technology Strategy 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary urges troops to support Poppy Appeal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Joint Statement - Five Eyes nations defence ministers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS How defence is rising to the sustainability challenge MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Green light for essential flood defence work in Par and St Blazey MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK and Qatar commit to a stronger defence relationship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £2m works to repair Doncaster flood defence are complete MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Infrastructure Organisation sets out future spending with launch of Procurement Pipeline MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief of the Defence Staff, General Sir Nick Carter launches the Integrated Operating Concept MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK’s Defence Senior Advisor concludes visit to Egypt MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dstl Scientist shortlisted for Women in Defence Awards 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Chief of Defence Intelligence comments on threats the UK will face in coming decades MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary announces investment in strategic Omani port MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Scottish defence industry wins new radar contract MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence ecologists boost rare heathland habitats MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary's speech at meeting of UK, German and French defence ministers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Academy launches new Masters programme in Defence Innovation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS HMS Enterprise to deploy to Port of Beirut as Defence Secretary sets out package of support to Lebanon MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Burton flood defence project opens new concourse for public MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Annual £7m flood defence work finishes for 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sir George Norton starts role as Commandant at the Royal College of Defence Studies MoD News 0
MoD_RSS York flood defence plans for Museum Gardens and Marygate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £1.6m works start to repair Doncaster flood defence embankment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK defence teams up with world leading UK space company to secure next generation of military communications MoD News 0
MoD_RSS River Severn partnership secures over £40m boost for flood defence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Minister for the Armed Forces James Heappey MP: The Ministry of Defence Response to the Covid-19 Pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary keynote speech at the Air and Space Power Conference 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Secretary Ben Wallace gives a speech at the Air and Space Power Conference MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Defence Minister and Head of the US Army sign Modernisation Agreement MoD News 0