SAS snubbed as defence chiefs appoint Navy man as Britain's anti-terror chief

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by Rover, Jan 3, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Jan 02, 2015 23:44
    • By Chris Hughes

• Special Boat Service officer is first non-Special Air Service man to be appointed as Director of Special Forces

• Defence chiefs have snubbed the SAS by secretly appointing a Navy man as head of Britain’s counter-terror operations.
      The Special Boat Service officer is the first non-SAS man to be appointed Director of Special Forces.

• He beat a string of SAS officers and will advise David Cameron on top-secret military operations.
      The PM signed off his appointment with Chief of the Defence Staff General Sir Nick Houghton.

• It is a huge boost for the SBS, which is deployed on land and sea missions.
      The elite force led kill or capture raids on Taliban forces in Afghanistan while the SAS regiment’s troops were largely in Iraq.

• A senior source said he expected the new man to operate in a more ‘thinking and creative’ style than previously.

• He added: “ He is not the sort to kick doors down, unless he has to. He will look at the problem and see if the issue can be resolved in another manner first.”
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/sas-snubbed-defence-chiefs-appoint-4911201

• Like Like x 1
  1. How is it a snub? Surely you should be eligible no matter what branch of SF you're from?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The SAS are a bit precious about how brilliant they are in relation to the rest of humanity. Plus the fact it could affect book sales.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. I've heard the SBS bloke failed STC selection first time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mentioning the SAS in the headline sells more papers.

5. Correct-a-mondo!!!

6. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I'm not sure that being SF is a requirement. I seem to recall a few previous DSF who didn't know the colour of the boathouse before being appointed.

I still don't know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Little known fact; The SBS are the best SF unit in the world. Just putting that out there.

8. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

From the Mirror a mere 8 months ago. If there is a replacement already either he was shit or the Mirror writes shit.

I know that there are other options but of the two above, I know what I go with.

9. “ He is not the sort to kick doors down, unless he has to. He will look at the problem and see if the issue can be resolved in another manner first.”

Like trying the handle/doorknob?

[​IMG]

10. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I am pleased that a thinking and creative Royal Marine has been found.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Other little known facts.
    The SBS was formed a year before the SAS and was operational six months before the SAS.

12. I think it's short sighted at the very least to allow such a very rare thing as a thinking and creative Royal Marine to be poached by Special Forces. I think he should be polished and placed in a glass case in a prominent public place for everyone to wonder at.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. And it's taken them this long to get someone into the DSF position?

I bet the Hereford Gun Club are bricking it............

14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I bet they are not happy, regardless of their Lego construction skills.

• Like Like x 3