SAS down under

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by Topaz, Jun 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im just watching this as I recorded its on Sky+
    Newzeland SAS is bluddy mental the PT they put these guys through and how strict they are.

After this I dont think I have the right to complain about PT anymore haha.
    Has anyone seen this?

2. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Sshh! OPSEC... you're not allowed to talk about it! :wink:

3. If you do Ill have to kill you! :threaten: :threaten:

4. Okay Im officaly confused :)

5. If you think the Oz /Kiwi SAS are put through tough PT - you should see some of what the British SAS / SBS are put through.

The Brecon Beacons can be a unforgiving place.

6. Done selection then have you, or just read about it??

7. If I told you I would have to kill you.

8. :roll:

9. Did I hear right when he said circulars were sent to ALL the NZ Armed Forces ? I can't imagine any matelots would be accepted, because of the skill at arms required - and we all know the most lethal weapon on the planet - Jack with a gun................

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...Pusser's Chef with a frying pan?! 8O

11. The NZ SAS are, allegedly, on a par with their British counterparts.
    They, along with Aussie SAS, do exchanges to Hereford for MultiNational SAS hugging love fests.
    In 2004 the NZ SAS were awarded a US Presidential Citation for being good eggs in the sand pit region.
    One of them, Cpl Willie Apiata was awarded a VC for actions in the Stan.
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10507809

Now if we can only stop them doing the Haka when they're in an OP we might get some where.

12. All British servicemen (don't know about women!) currently receive an invitation to apply for SF selection at least annually. Many probably don't even realise it's there.

13. We had F Troop and Dawn Patrol on the Onslaught,does that count as SF?

14. I had a similar conversation with some lads in a little base in Ashford in the 80's and they reckoned that there had been a few matelots over the years who joined the SAS. Alledgedly they were RO's who'd worked with them in NI and had decided to go for it, don't know how true it is.

15. Read a book recently called By Strength By Guile about a bloke who was in the SBS. He reckoned that one of his oppos was ex-RN, and he came in handy when it came to boarding ships etc.

16. You are becoming my favourite book analysist! Having read 'mouthful of rocks', and not being able to put it down, this should be equal in quality.

I finished Life in the SBS by Duncan Falconer last night, that was a read and a hlaf too.

17. Its common sense that the spec forces like a wide range of trained soldiers/sailors/airmen so the team can have strengths in all aspects. Brecon Beacons is a training ground for most regiments in the British Army and Im not sure if the Royal Navy train there?

18. Duncan Falconer's book was a damned fine read. Another book I couldn't put down was SHOOT TO KILL by Michael Asher. Biogrpahical account of his life in the Paras, TA SAS & RUC.
    Wasn't all that impressed by the Strength by Guile book, certainly not compared to Duncan Falconer's book.

Rogue Warrior by Richard Marcinko is a good book too. A bloke's experiences in The US Navy Seals.

I know, I know, I've got too much time on my hands!

19. It must be my age, but I wouldn't read any book by a former SC with the title 'By Strength, By Guile'. The guy who wrote it must have joined up only a year or two ago! Old timers will be rolling in their kleppers :)