Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SAS down under

Topaz

Lantern Swinger
Im just watching this as I recorded its on Sky+
Newzeland SAS is bluddy mental the PT they put these guys through and how strict they are.

After this I dont think I have the right to complain about PT anymore haha.
Has anyone seen this?

ollie123

Lantern Swinger
If you think the Oz /Kiwi SAS are put through tough PT - you should see some of what the British SAS / SBS are put through.

The Brecon Beacons can be a unforgiving place.

ollie123 said:
If you think the Oz /Kiwi SAS are put through tough PT - you should see some of what the British SAS / SBS are put through.

The Brecon Beacons can be a unforgiving place.

Done selection then have you, or just read about it??

lsadirty

War Hero
Did I hear right when he said circulars were sent to ALL the NZ Armed Forces ? I can't imagine any matelots would be accepted, because of the skill at arms required - and we all know the most lethal weapon on the planet - Jack with a gun................

NZ_Bootneck

War Hero
The NZ SAS are, allegedly, on a par with their British counterparts.
They, along with Aussie SAS, do exchanges to Hereford for MultiNational SAS hugging love fests.
In 2004 the NZ SAS were awarded a US Presidential Citation for being good eggs in the sand pit region.
One of them, Cpl Willie Apiata was awarded a VC for actions in the Stan.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/story.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10507809

Now if we can only stop them doing the Haka when they're in an OP we might get some where.

Joe_Crow

War Hero
lsadirty said:
Did I hear right when he said circulars were sent to ALL the NZ Armed Forces ? I can't imagine any matelots would be accepted, because of the skill at arms required - and we all know the most lethal weapon on the planet - Jack with a gun................

All British servicemen (don't know about women!) currently receive an invitation to apply for SF selection at least annually. Many probably don't even realise it's there.

Druid

Midshipman
I had a similar conversation with some lads in a little base in Ashford in the 80's and they reckoned that there had been a few matelots over the years who joined the SAS. Alledgedly they were RO's who'd worked with them in NI and had decided to go for it, don't know how true it is.

Tall_bloke

Lantern Swinger
Read a book recently called By Strength By Guile about a bloke who was in the SBS. He reckoned that one of his oppos was ex-RN, and he came in handy when it came to boarding ships etc.

ollie123

Lantern Swinger
Tall_bloke said:
Read a book recently called By Strength By Guile

You are becoming my favourite book analysist! Having read 'mouthful of rocks', and not being able to put it down, this should be equal in quality.

I finished Life in the SBS by Duncan Falconer last night, that was a read and a hlaf too.

mattbea

Banned
Its common sense that the spec forces like a wide range of trained soldiers/sailors/airmen so the team can have strengths in all aspects. Brecon Beacons is a training ground for most regiments in the British Army and Im not sure if the Royal Navy train there?

Tall_bloke

Lantern Swinger
ollie123 said:
Tall_bloke said:
Read a book recently called By Strength By Guile

You are becoming my favourite book analysist! Having read 'mouthful of rocks', and not being able to put it down, this should be equal in quality.

I finished Life in the SBS by Duncan Falconer last night, that was a read and a hlaf too.

Duncan Falconer's book was a damned fine read. Another book I couldn't put down was SHOOT TO KILL by Michael Asher. Biogrpahical account of his life in the Paras, TA SAS & RUC.
Wasn't all that impressed by the Strength by Guile book, certainly not compared to Duncan Falconer's book.

Rogue Warrior by Richard Marcinko is a good book too. A bloke's experiences in The US Navy Seals.

I know, I know, I've got too much time on my hands!

It must be my age, but I wouldn't read any book by a former SC with the title 'By Strength, By Guile'. The guy who wrote it must have joined up only a year or two ago! Old timers will be rolling in their kleppers :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S SAS Down Under. Tv series. RMR 19
1 Royal Marine to SAS Air Troop The Corps 27
Ageing_Gracefully Competition: Jock Lewes - Co-founder of the SAS Competitions 19
Rover SAS snubbed as defence chiefs appoint Navy man as Britain's anti-terror chief The Corps 14
soleil Telegraph: "SAS Target Taliban Using Royal Navy Submarine Technology" The Fleet Air Arm 4
T SAS war diary: The SAS secret hidden since World War II Current Affairs 2
2_deck_dash Genuine SAS/SBS/STC sunglasses - H4H auction - not to be missed. Charity 18
daffy1 SAS recruitment Current Affairs 0
soleil T'graph: "WikiLeaks: Ex-SAS Officers Hired As 'Human Bait' By Foreign Shipping Firms" Current Affairs 1
Darbi SAS Blue Jokes 2
The_Caretaker SAS Miscellaneous 0
Joint_Force_Harrier The SAS cant get him so send in the Crabs!!!!! Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 16
Deano19 "I'm in the SAS, my mate there is SBS" Diamond Lil's 80
T Sad day for the SAS Diamond Lil's 0
NotmeChief SAS Motto The Gash Barge 35
Ninja_Stoker Fake SAS "Hero" exposed. Current Affairs 34
Ships_Cat Ex-SAS man deported to Equatorial Guinea Current Affairs 15
sgtpepperband SAS Troopers in £250k Fraud Current Affairs 14
mrsandeel SBS vs SAS The Corps 52
MoD_RSS A303 Amesbury to Berwick Down (A303 Stonehenge) project granted development consent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Ministry of Defence Police clamp down on illegal activity and keep the training estate safe in the south east MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Environment Agency shuts down illegal waste site MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Property investment companies shut down after misappropriating £2.85m MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Reforms to Companies House to clamp down on fraud and give businesses greater confidence in transactions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Secretary statement on Prime Minister Abe stepping down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Rogue emergency services publisher shut down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Tougher fines ahead of Bank Holiday to crack down on illegal gatherings MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Futuristic ‘village’ concept launches at Worthy Down Station MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The fighting chance: breaking down barriers to veteran’s well-being MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding boost to crack down on the Illegal Wildlife Trade in Guatemala and Mexico MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New anti-bullying helpline to clamp down on poor behaviour in the military MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Car parking investment companies shut down in court MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Online cryptocurrency trading platform shut down by courts MoD News 1
MoD_RSS Cabinet Secretary to stand down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS CMA Chairman Andrew Tyrie to step down MoD News 0
BillyNoMates List of statues to be pulled down and the reason(s) why. Diamond Lil's 26
MoD_RSS Courts shut down rogue education publisher MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Funding boost to crack down on the Illegal Wildlife Trade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Clamping down on risk of unsafe PPE MoD News 0
soleil The News: "Royal Navy Destroyer Prone To Breaking Down In The Gulf Leaves Portsmouth For Key Engine Upgrade" The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS Trade Remedies Authority Chief Executive Designate steps down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sir Ian Cheshire to stand down as Government’s Lead Non-Executive Director MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government cracks down on spread of false coronavirus information online MoD News 0
BillyNoMates The Lock-Down thread 2020. Diamond Lil's 563
MoD_RSS Government knocks down barriers to productivity for tenant farmers MoD News 0
C Life at worthy down as a RFA chef apprentice RFA 12
MoD_RSS A raft of ideas to help track down the elusive water vole MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Women leading the way in breaking down boundaries in science and innovation MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Save the Children UK let down complainants and public over handling of allegations of workplace harassment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Housing Secretary clamps down on shoddy housebuilders MoD News 0