SAS Down Under. Tv series.

Discussion in 'RMR' started by swiss_navy, May 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. [Deleted]
  2. Id like to watch that but Im going on my hols tomorrow untill 11th June, can someone put it online? :thanks: :thanks:
  3. Should be interesting viewing. Read somewhere that the kiwi and ozzie SAS were the only troops that the Vietcong were actually afraid of!
  4. The VC and NVA were afraid (wary) of Australians and Kiwis in general. Unfortunately the yanks were running the show in Vietnam.
  5. Did anyone see this? Was it any good?
  6. Yes, the Haka was brill. But no Ross Kemp, so BOOOOooo.
    But seriously folks, it is an interesting series, shown on terestial TV here about a year ago, hold do you mean that NZ has actually broadcast something first.!! :w00t: :w00t: We might get up to date with Corro yet. :pukel:
  7. Saw the first episode and can't wait for the next,thought it was brilliant and put aside any notions I may have had about joining a tough regiment or Force when I was young and fit.I still would not have made anywhere near this introduction course,I'd last a couple of of hours! Worth seeing though,wonder how it stands up to our SAS/SBS intro selection course.
  8. The Australian SAS

October 26th 2007

From many of the sources I’ve read over the years, the consistent message I get about Afghanistan is that they are hard, tough as nails sons of bitches. For all the barbarity that Al-Qaeda is capable of, the Afghan Taliban are a much harder and tougher enemy. I believe it’s their country, it’s a harsh place and it breeds a hardness in its people. Even though it pains us to have lost one of our best, it feels good knowing he had beaten them before.
    The inhospitable terrain of Afghanistan’s Chora Valley was all too familiar to Sergeant Matthew Locke. The SAS patrol commander, who was killed on Thursday following a gun battle with Taliban insurgents hiding in the foothills of the barren mountains that frame the valley, had spent his first tour of duty in Afghanistan clearing Islamist fighters from the area, just 15 kilometres from the Australian base at Tarin Kowt. Awarded the Medal of Gallantry for his courage under fire, Sergeant Locke was part of a 10-day, Australian-led operation that succeeded last year in driving the Taliban out of what was once their stronghold.
    The operation was a triumph of Australian military ingenuity, with synchronised attacks overcoming the “extremely stiff resistance†of the deeply entrenched Taliban, said the SAS commander Major-General Mike Hindmarsh. Sergeant Locke played a pivotal role in the success of the operation. He set up an observation post after a torturous 10-hour climb up a sheer mountainside. But after he had called in air support for his comrades in the valley below, the post was uncovered by Taliban. Vastly outnumbered, the militia repeatedly attempted to overrun them. Sergeant Locke and another soldier charged further up the mountain, exposing himself to volleys of intense rifle and machine-gun fire.
    He shot dead at least two of the Taliban leading the assault and kept those following pinned down as his patrol commander called in air support and indirect fire to neutralise Taliban attacking from further below. His actions enabled the patrol to be extracted safely under cover of darkness. Speaking last year after he was awarded the Medal of Gallantry, Sergeant Locke said the Taliban should not be underestimated. “They are quite fierce fighters … from my experience that’s the hardest enemy we’ve ever fought,†he said. General Hindmarsh said: “The overall operation was a resounding success, with the anti-coalition militia taking such heavy casualties that the remnants eventually fled the valley.â€
    So proud to know such men from the land grit by sea are more than a match for the hardest enemies they’ve faced, the other thing we should remember as well is that even though we have air support and planes and all that, in a place like Chora valley, I don’t think they make that much of a difference. Those with a bit more knowledge can correct me if I’m mistaken, but I firmly believe if it wasn’t for our SAS on that mountain, the outcome would have been very different.
    But after the Prime Minister, John Howard, withdrew Australian special forces late last year to assist with preparations for the Asia-Pacific Economic Co-operation summit, the Taliban returned. The decision to withdraw the Australians was reversed after it became apparent the army reconstruction team building schools and training locals in crucial trade skills in Tarin Kowt were in danger. In April, Mr Howard announced that a special forces taskforce would return. Sergeant Locke went back for his second tour, and back to the Chora Valley. His bravery was again in evidence, even if his luck ran out.
    He was shot in the chest by Taliban fighters, ambushed as he returned to Tarin Kowt after a search and seizure operation that had led to three Taliban arrests, Afghan Government sources say. “The nation today has lost a genuine hero,†said the Chief of Army, Lieutenant General Peter Leahy. Mr Howard and the Labor leader, Kevin Rudd, visited the SAS barracks in Perth to express their condolences to the regiment.
  9. Good soldiers the kiwis and ozzys but the Kiwis tend to be alot more humble about it. Sometimes the Ozzy guys can get right on yer tits. Some of them think they invented soldiering im sure.
  10. Is it just me, or was last night's programme a load of arse? Just loads of clips of parachuting, boats etc with no detail and no structure.
    If the film makers have spent 12 months with these steely-eyed warriors then surely they could have come up with a better format?
    Hope it gets better next week.
  11. I guess there is only so much they are allowed to show and it essentially follows the five who eventually make it through with snippets of what they undertake
  12. The version shown on Kiwi TV was unedited and showed their unpixilated faces, 'cause we all know each other here anyhow. :roll:
  13. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Err No, its because they were people who didn't get all the way through and some who got through and were later chopped.

I was in Wellington a couple of weeks back and over a beer another UK rep brought this up in conversation.
  14. Was Airborne Aircrew on it? I liked the milling, no gloves! Good drills!
  15. Following an joint Oz/UK military engagement with a numerically superior US force,in which the septics were well and truly routed at the killing fields of Olongapo, many dits and beers were enjoyed by the victorious few who had not been arrested. :wink: The Oz contingent expressed great displeasure at the conduct of the septics in Viet Nam and were not too happy at working beside chaps who had TV sets flashing away like invitations to VC to drop by.Not to mention transistor radios blaring away 24/7.
    Of course there were some useful septics.
  16. Just slightly off thread though still on subject.

On the Weakest Link the other day a girl was asked "What is the three word motto of the SAS?"

Her reply - "You are Dead"

Did I laugh - she wasn't that far off really.
  17. Wave - the impression I got from the NZ SAS series was that they were all the ones who got through - along with their CO and RSM. Fairly open about what they were doing and how they trained for it. A v good series.
  18. Always amused me the tv in Kiwi the adverts advertising sheep wire etc.

I hate to break the bad news about Corrie but Ena Sharples sadly has died and is no longer in the soap.

19. However, Ken Barlow (so the Missus tells me :lol: ) is still in it!