Sarkozy against Turkey?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Jenny_Dabber, May 15, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So Sarkozy is against Turkey joining the EU, put this down to political or religion, if Turkey abides by what the EU has stated for them to do so that they may enter, doe the French President have the power to reject them?

Article

2. Yes the French could block Turkeys accession and I for one hope they do so.

All the doey eyed Liberals and Guardianistas forget one thing when they wax lyrical about Turkey joining teh EU… Turkey is only a 'democracy' as long as it suits the Turkish army. And do we really want many millions of poor muslims flooding our labour markets? Coz we know exactly were they will head… 'Treasure Island' were extremely generous benefits are a 'right' as soon as you touch dry land.

3. You are always criticising Turkey unjustly IMHO Junior Jenny. Go and wash your mouth out with soap and water thn report to the Joss for a spell of Jankers! :wink:

The problem Turkey has persistantly faced is that the EU keeps moving the proverbial goalposts whenever the Turks comply with an earlier benchmark. Had we applied the same standard to the Greek Cypriots or Eastern Europe, they would never have been able to join. Sarko is opposed to Turkey becuase he wants the EU to become a Christian Club. If the EU was genuinely concerned with human rights violations and curtailment of free speech and public marches then it would have come down equally as hard on other countries which are openly violating human rights norms, whilst claiming to the EU they are not doing so(!), such as Latvia and Poland, or indeed Britain or France itself! Interestingly France turns a blind-eye to this.

Millitant Liberal of the Hop County.

4. As half of Turkey either lives in Germany or has a relative that does Isuspect we have less to worry about than you think. Many may well also go to Greece after all their grandparents lived there before the mutual Greko/Turkish ethnic cleansing after the failed Greek invasion of Turkey.

5. Who caused the green line to be drawn in Cyprus?
    Was it the Turks or the Greeks.
    Answer depends on whether you ask a Turkish Cypriot or a Greek Cypriot.
    Atrocities where carried out by both sides.
    jenny works in the South so she has been fed the Greek version. I worked in the North and was subjected to the Turkish version. Both equally true or false.

6. Turkey at the moment is at a crossroads and in my opinion on the verge of a military Coup. The islamic party is currently gaining more ground and the events of a few weeks ago when an Islamist was rejected for the Presidents job and the Army made noises about intervening only rammed home the fact that the Country is only secular and "democratic" due to its huge army which is commited to upholding the Secular constitution of Ataturk. In my view Turkey joining the EU would present huge problems for Europe and the main danger in my opinion is the radical Islamic part of the population.Do we really want a country which will have free access to our labour markets and the country basically with such a large population of radical Islamic fanatics?
    Instead of criticising the Turkish army we should be supporting it as they are the only thing stopping such a strategically important country becoming radicalised by Islam.The last thing Europe needs is an Islamic Turkey!

7. Having worked several times in Turkey I can assure you that most Turks though Muslims are not fundamentalists or fanatics. I rarely saw the Turks stopping work for prayers (as Muslims in Egypt did) in fact many never visit the Mosque (bit like Christians going to church in the UK). However there are some areas of fanatics I came across such an area when working in a place called Bitlis (near lake Van) an area which has borders with Iraq and Iran. The Turks are well aware of this problem area as can be seen from the large number of army personnel in the region.

8. I would agree with Slim, most Turks see the benefits of their secular society, and very large numbers demonstrated a day or so ago against the Islamists in Izmir.

I have been there on holiday quite a few times and whilst the hawkers can be a trifle over persistant at times, I have found the average Turk decent hard working freindly and honest. The still have conscrition and whilst many would prefer not to do their time in the army they accept it as a duty to the nation. In some respects I would suggest the fundamentalist Christians in the US are more of a threat to us than the Islamicists in Turkey.

9. Did anyone see the program on the Scientologists last night.
    Now they worry me more than the Muslim community.

10. Obv. to join the EU, Turkey has to open up ports/airports and borders on the N.Cyprus side.

Saying this, during the 1960's, when Cyprus became independent, Greece, Turkey and the UK had to sign a peace treaty, a bit like the N.ire one, stating none of them would stake a claim on the Island. Yet in 1974, Turkey broke that amendment (not saying either country is innocent).

Mind you, saying this, the EU is opening up a little bit at a time to what Turkey have to do to claim being EU. Sarcozy is on the lines of Turkey is not Europe but middle east, however, it may take up to 10 yrs before Turkey become EU.

There are pros and negatives to Turkey joining but doesn't the saying go;

Keep your friends close but your enemy’s closure!

11. You should ask your Greek Cypriot mates what the Greeks intended to do with northern cyprus before the Turks stopped them. The Greeks were not the victims however much they bleet about it, no more than they were the victims in 1920.

Mind you perhaps the Turks do owe the Greeks a debt of gratitude, if the Greeks had not invaded Turkey then Attaturk may never have come to power.

12. More worrying is the size of Turkey (pop circa 100M) which would lead to a large expansion. Of minor importance is that less than 5% of Turkey is on the continent of Europe. Its capital Ankara and the majority of he population is on the continent of Asia

13. Maxi, that is like trying to find the pot of gold.............they ain't ever going to admitt to that lol

To be honest all 3 sides were wrong in ways. But does this mean if Turkey is willing to Sacrific their stakes, would they make a good EU member?

14. I believe that if Turkey manages to meet all the conditions set for it then there will be some advantages of having Turkey in the EU. For a start the Arab states will have to modify their stance that the only reason for Turkey not getting membership is religion.

15. I'm concerned about the countries that border Turkey. How secure are their borders and would they be able to stop any unwanteds at their borders or would they let them traipse on through the EU and make them someone elses problem. In a similar way to the French turning a blind eye to those who want to come to the UK!

16. Turkey maintains an extremely strong army presence on it's borders. It is more aware of the dangers that fundamental Islam can cause than any country in the West. Ataturk brought Turkey into the 20th Century and most Turks do not wish to return to an Islamic state. Luckily I do not think that the Turkish army would allow this to happen.

17. In my opinion they would make every bit as good a member as the Greeks and probably better. They would certainly be better than the Greek Cypriots, certainly if some of their diplomats are any thing to go by.

18. I hope that France can and does block that horribly grotesque place of Turkey joining our EU!

19. Come on it is not as bad as Greece and they let them in.

20. Sarkozy has got a job on his hands if he wants Europe as a Christian club.
    Most EU countries, including his own, have worked long and hard to become secular; there is a very strong movement towards this in Turkey.