Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by halomonkey, Mar 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, thought I'd wander across here and see if anyone could help with a question ref SAR postings. Basically over on modoracle , I've been in a discussion with someone ref SAR and whether or not it should be handed over to civvies. One of his comments was 'The RN and RAF don't need SAR helicopters except for SAR, and SAR pilots wont get jobs except in SAR.', I was led to believe that SAR pilots quite often go back to doing other jobs within the RN. Can someone tell me which is correct?
    Thanks for your help and apologies if this is the wrong part of the forum for this question.
  2. I think that the RAF do Search and Rescue as a career, whereas for RN aircrew it is one job they do and then go onto other jobs as well, but I could be wrong!
  3. RAF SAR pilots do swap between other rotary (and a few non-rotary) flying tasks and it's something that'll probably happen more. It's fair to say however that the RAF SAR community has a reputation for being a bit of a 'secret handshake club' and a few have had a rude awakening when deployed on ops in various roles.

That said, when they do move to SH, their IMC skills are second to none I'm led to believe, and they quickly become very useful on ops.

4. Thanks for the replies. They basically confirm what I was always led to believe.
  5. The RN do SAR after a couple of tours as ASW, Jungly etc and then go back after