Samsung Tablet 10.1

Discussion in 'Bloody Computers' started by BillyNoMates, Dec 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ideas/assistance if you will.

Currently, my Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 is doing its best to charge itself. I have clagged the supplied wall charger into a socket and attached 'tuther end to the tablet - BUT all that's happening is the "battery" symbol appears on screen, swiftly followed by a vain attempt to show that it's charging then the screen goes blank....wait a few seconds and same scenario, continuously.

Also tried to charge via USB from laptop/printer/toaster/tumble drier etc but the same thing happens. I think the battery may have become fully discharged and according to various forums - the battery has its own memory and it would seem that it will not suck enough wigglies into it (even on "trickle charge") to start charging in the correct manner.

Anyone else had experiences of a similar nature?

Tried all forum recommendations for getting it to go again, to no avail. Greenies, Amp Tramps and Computer Geeks please respond in a polite manner.....this bit of kit is my sanity saver when on Night-Shift, and I've got 25th/26th Dec 2013 to get through...otherwise it's crap Christmas TV or Solitaire on a Desktop.

I thank you.

2. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Try switching off completely then attach power source and leave for a while. Works for me with Nexus when I 'forget' to recharge.
  3. Yep - doing that now. Attached to USB port on a rather large printer. Hopefully there's a bit more oompf going across. I think it's completely shut down...hard to tell. Pressed the *off* button for about three minutes and I'm leaving it as is. Will leave the damned thing pugged into the mains at home tonight (and all Christmas Day)...see what that does. Don't want to lever the back off just yet. Think I may leave that to some Techno-person in Maplins or someplace if all else fails.

Thanks for the input and have a great Christmas Day.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm a bit of an amateur hardware engineer - it sounds Donald Ducked mate.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Billy, if the power off recharge works, be sure to charge it using the wall charger as that provides more current than the usb port. Also post the model number.
  6. Could be something simple as a dodgy cable feet - had a similar problem with the ipad, turns out the boy had swopped the cable with me when I was at work as his had 'kinked'.

If it is the battery at least you have the opportunity of replacing.
  7. Model No, GT-P5110. Still "looping" (i.e. battery icon illuminates, then changes to "battery charging" for about one second - then shuts down).
    (Repeat for eternity). Currys & PC World getting a visit tomorrow methinks.
  8. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Have you blown in the charging socket to shift any dust? Simples but sometime effective.

Just the thoughts of a blonde ex wren
  9. Belay my last. The thing has just kicked in and is indicating that it's now in the charging mode. My thoughts are that over the past few days (when it's been plugged up and connected to mains/powered USB's) - it's gained sufficient milliamps to get the battery above 5% and therefore the battery memory now knows it requires a full charge. Leaving it connected for the duration of this shift and will hopefully report back that my toy is functioning as it should be.

In the meantime, may I say ta very much for your input. I love you all....I really, really do.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Always happy to be a hindrance. I'll PM the repair bill.