Same old same old!!

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by scouse, Feb 19, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. Isn't pretty simple to figure out with no if's or but's.
    You are employed by a company to work as best you can,if you succeed with your colleagues you get a bonus,if your firm shows a loss you don't get a bonus.
    End Of! although I know other things come into the equation but generally that should be the norm.
    To award massive bonuses to failed firms and dept. is a contradiction in terms.
    You might as well say 42 Commando killed more Tallies than the Rifles so they should get a bonus!
    Ok! that's frivolous but no more than watching the MOD/British Rail/Bankers lose billions then get a bonus.
    Something stinks at the top and it comes from successive Governments who harp on about the people needs.
    The rich will look after the rich { Cameron]the poor will try to ingrain themselves with the rich to be like them[Blair] and the clueless[Brown] will shuffle off with shed loads of cash in the meantime the poor and old get more destitute.
    I'm no commie although I grew up in a hard line commie pit village and sometimes I think this is not the right way to run things.

2. Bastards! Round trip ticket please.

• Like Like x 1
  3. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

This headline comes around every year, and notwithstanding the large individual bonus, can be explained quite simply.

The average rank and file CS gets paid a lot less than their military equivalent. In order to redress tha balance an annual 'bonus' is awarded. However while this bonus is good for the wallet, it does not count towards the final salary pension calculation - so the Treasury proffs considerably. Its a very devisive scheme dreamt up by the Treasury. I don't remember any CS liking it and they would all rather have the money in their pay, with the change in pension, than be subjected to an annual barrage of abuse in the right wing press.

4. They may get paid less but then they don't have do obey the same orders as service men & women. If they don't like the job then they can look for another position without giving 18 months notice (not that many want to leave a cushy number which gives a great pension)
    There is no way that any civil service grade and armed service rank can be fairly compared.

However I do agree with your earlier post that the bootnecks should be given a bigger bonus than the rifles due to their increased kill rate.:pr:

5. I am sure the First Division are not complaining as it would appear that some of them are being paid through limited companies allowing tax bills to be reduced.

Link

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

As SF says - this "story" crops up every now and again. And it seems the "same old" people (in the media and in RR) jump to conclusions about civil servants' pay and working conditions, often knowing little or no facts about how the Civil Service pay and conditions work. As for the old claim that "...if they don't like it they can just leave", well it's not quite as simple as that. And - God forbid! - some CSs actually want to work for HMG for the same reasons some service personnel want to go off to foreign lands to kill people; because they enjoy the job, despite the grief they get for it and the recent manpower cuts required by SDSR (percentage-wise, the MoD Civil Service is having to lose more people from its workforce than the rest of the Armed Services).

So rather than believe everything you read in the papers (even if it is the Torygraph) how about actually speaking to a Civil Servant and asking them? The bonus scheme that is mentioned is not quite as straight forward as some might imagine; although you are eligible to be awarded a bonus, it might actually only equate to a couple of hundred quid (if anything at all). Those that are still serving should perhaps sit down and talk to those non-uniformed members of staff in your units/departments to find out more about what they do, rather than judge without knowing anything about them. And don't forget, despite not having pips and stripes, they are usually entitled to the respect and status of a commissioned occifer (although you wouldn't realise it, the way that some people talk to them...) :oops:

7. The comments make a good read ,liked pjb on page 5 lol

8. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I think that Silverfox and SPB may have a point. It's basically a matter of perception though to us lesser mortals. With all the 'Hype' regarding Bankers Bonuses over the last few months, just by using the word 'BONUS' is like waving a red flag in front of a bull. How can you cry 'foul' for one group and 'fair' for another ? If the reason for doing this is to save on pension payouts, then shame on the Government. If you don't like the pension system, change it, thats what being in charge means.

9. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I don't know of one civil servant who wouldn't change it in a heartbeat. But none of them work for the Treasury and in CS terms, they rule the roost.

Don't get me wrong, there are big areas inside the MOD that are nothing more than huge self-licking lollipops and I would shed them in an instant.

However, in the clamour to reduce pay etc consider this. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys. How many times have you heard people bemoaning the fact that the Defence industry has the MOD tied up in contractual knots resulting in waste and expenditure. Thats because all the bright contract experts, project managers and financial planners etc go where the big bucks are. And that ain't the MOD.....

10. But like the man said they chose to do the job, if the salary was/is not sufficient get another job for more pay.
    After all as many on RR are very often quick to point out, there is no shortage of work.
    Should be simple.

11. As I type I am a CS!!! Not for long I suspect. The axe hovers overhead.

The bonus issue has been contentious from the outset, the majority of hard works civil servants seeing very little of the massive amount set aside for distribution. Whether a CS gets a bonus is not so much reliant upon performance which is how it is sold. It is more how high an English grade your reporting officer has. If your manager cannot string two words together you are fucked! If you are a serious grade one twat and your manager is very good at business speak and is adept at bullshit you have pissed it and will probably get the higher award.

The majority of us, through our respective unions sought to get the MoD/Civil Service to plough the moneys set aside for the bonus awards into salary. That way it would be shared evenly. There are not than many departments that have any relative output that is quantifiable therefore production and targets are not relative.

As for my department with the MoD, the majority of us a re ex serving members of the armed forces and we simply see our low paid jobs as a addition to our pensions and put something back into the organisation that kept us in beer tokens and sent us on foreign holidays!!!!!

It's the senior civil service that is part of rip off Britain.

• Like Like x 1
  12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

And what branch you are. If, for example, you have a bunch of Band C Civil Servants, you can guarantee that those with certain skills (e.g. engineer, scientist, etc.) will almost certainly get a bonus, whereas other 'less glamorous' trades (e.g. logistics, business support, etc.) are likely to be overlooked, regardless of how worthwhile or productive your output has been..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Waspie, I absolutely agree with your assessment. Within the organisation that I worked for, POST(N) later DLA, there was so much arse licking among the "B" grades and above that we at the lower ends of the inverted pyramid got shafted every year. As for someone writing my annual report that was a total joke. My boss had a book of favourite phrases and sayings. Three consecutive reports said exactly the same thing, he just moved the sentences about. I never saw a bonus in eleven years as grade "D" or grade "C".

14. The joys of Cut & Paste. The computer must have seemed a gift from heaven to RO's.

One of our guys one years even had someone else's name on his report. "Bloggs has had a very productive year" to be written up as Smith!!!!! The RO when checking after a cut and paste sess. never checked who's report he had written - ha - written - that's a laugh!

The civil service reporting system is a joke. And I hear they are changing the reporting format yet again this year!!!! My my what a surprise. I think in the last 18 years they have changed the style and format some 12 to 15 times!

The only fat cats are the fat pratts at the top. Oh - and the knob who changes the reporting system every year. Bet he gets a good bonus.

15. I also have the bastard bean counters of Hades lurking and they not only want to chuck
    all their eggs in one basket - but they don't even want a fucking basket to chuck the
    eggs in. I'll let you normal private sector types know when you can feel sorry for me
    and a few thousand others who were rewarded with astronomical bonus payments.

I got £160......Whoopee-fucking-doooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

38 years a watchkeeper, eyes like piss 'oles in the snow and "Rationalisation" is calling.

Bonus my left nacker-bag.

B.N.M.