Same Number?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by nutters, Sep 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,

Hope all of you are ok!

Im currently in the TA (for my sins), but im joining the RN after christmas, does anybody know if i will have the same number (2521****) because of JPA being Tri Service?

I dont particulary want my old one. It would save alot of hassle and alot of explaination just to have a new one!

thanks

Nuts

2. I did the opposite (left the RN and joined the TA) and I got a nice shiny new sprog number.

3. You keep your number if you go TA -> Regular Army, Reg -> TA, RNR -> RN etc., but not if you change Services, or if you get commissioned.

JPA isn't that joint...

4. Just out of curiosity does anyone know if RN numbers still start with D?

5. No, they don't; that stopped when the JPA system came in.

6. Thanks for the info.

7. Joined the Observer Corps and got one number and then later the RNXS and got another. I agree that in an age when telephone numbers are transferrable it is such a PAIN in the proverbial having to learn a new number. Also as you get older you can find you can no longer remember which service number was for which service! :oops: :oops: :oops:

8. RN service numbers now start with a 3, it rhymes with D.

9. I understand the yanks use their social security number (NI No)?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Once given a tri-service number, beginning with a "3" (and rhyming with "D") if you leave, rejoin, transfer to or from the RN you keep it whichever service you join.

The number is assigned to your NHS Number & is unique to the individual for ever & ever.

Amen.

11. I'm in the TA also - I had a TA colleague who joined the RN earlier this year and I can say for a fact he kept his number he got for TA, to keep in with JPA.

What I want to know is, if I join, whether I keep my number as I have a "W" number, as I joined the TA when women still got W numbers, nowadays men and woman have the same format to keep it in line with JPA. My W number had to be "modified" to help me stay in the JPA workings....

12. Watch_the_birdie, your old W number will not be modified, you'll just get a new one.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

That's telling 'em Doc.