Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by franko, Mar 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Do you have to salute a RN officer if he/she are riding past on a bike ?
  2. If you are trying to get her/ him to fall off - YES, otherwise NO!
  3. No. A cheery good afternoon/morning might be sociable though.

I presume you've just been picked up?
  4. ok, memory set to long long ago, but I seem to remember being told not to as it was dangerous for the ossifer to return, however the evil GI with a glint in his eye did say if we did salute the oossifer was supposed to return it.
  5. not been picked up, just curious was asked about it today ,cheers for clearing up my question thanks
  6. If they are mounted on a pussers red devil then a salute is required, civvy bike then it's a no.
  7. Left hand salute for cycling officers.......always a treat to watch
  8. Now you're showing your age - i haven't seen a Pussers' red devil for about twenty years.
  9. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

10. It was on that slope from the offices to the dock at St Angelo......indeed a treat!
  11. hackle

hackle Badgeman Moderator

Could the officer not brace up and ride at attention?
  12. Goes to show how things have gone downhill. A signals office concorting with a seaman? I don't know what happens now but the dodgy looking geezer on the right is sporting a hanky in his breast pocket; that was once the preserve of communications officers only.
    And the seaman has his lanyard in sea cadet sytle - entirely bad form.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  13. Easy boy! This is a family show.
  14. Best method, walk infront of their moving bike, once they've unmounted then salute.
  15. And leg it quick?
  16. When saluting as class leader in front of a squad and you give the eyes right,as you salute do you keep swinging your left arm or hold into your side like they do in the army? Its been a while since I have been class leader and dont want to teach the cadets wrong!! (sad really I have done the job as a J/R, S/R and wavy navy orifce but for the life of me cannot remember!!)
  17. fcuked if I can remeber 100%, but I am pretty sure the GI said they were supposed to return the salute, and it would be more fun it they try to salute I would imagine, espcially if coming up to a corner. Unfortunatly never had the opportunity to try it out
  18. When I joined the cops I always tried to salute orificers just as they were about to have a slurp of tea. It worked twice, and there was much hilarity, and one scalded ear.
  19. Distract his (her?) attention by exclaiming loudly "Your lights are still on, Sir!"

Duty done & Salute avoided.
  20. Used to have so much fun with the Female Surgeons (Gold Stripes) in the pre equality days, they'd come straight from BRNC unarmed in the ways of the lower deck. Walking down the colonade at RNH Plymouth we (2x CPO's) encountered one walking towards us,transferred all the books into my Left Hand, she eyeballed us and was almost prepared to return the salute..... Walked past her, she didn't salute...
    Turned around and said excuse me Maam do you not normally salute Chiefs? She apologised profusely, "Carry on and don't let it happen again!"
    Problem was then we had to keep our heads down until their aquaint course was finished.