saluting vs bikes???

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by bilbo, Jul 12, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok. I got picked - up last week for not chopping one off to a 2-n-half on a push bike. He was not happy.
    I've always been one to hold my hands up and admit when ive messed up but ive been told not to salute officers on bikes since day 1, week 1.
    12 years service and i have never been picked up for it before.
    Can someone please clarify what the appropriate behaviour is and where these actions are laid down.

Cheers shippers
  2. You don't need to salute an officer on a bike. Just say good morning / good afternoon sir.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. hope the next time he gets saluted he wobbles and falls off. I also wish that next time he goes for a shit its a hedgehog.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. That's what I thought. Do you know where this is laid down?
  5. I agree.
  6. Marks of respect should be paid at ALL ties. The person being saluted should respond either by turning his head towards you (as you do when marching past) or responding with a good morning etc.

Local orders can overide this, at HMS Daedalus we were informed that no salute was needed for bike riding ocfficers. This was due to a certain officer requesting it. He was a bit of a tyrant so the lads managed to get him to return their individual salutes over a full length of road. he was more pissed off than the lads:(
  7. Notwithstanding what the Regs might say, I was always told to salute officers on bikes; on the off chance they might respond and potentially fall off!

Another wheeze was to salute with the wrong hand and see if you could get them to respond likewise:)

Nowadays, with roles reversed, the pragmatic course of action is just to say good morning/ afternoon should anyone attempt to do as I was told!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Unless things are different in the RN, compliments should always be paid when an officer is recognised. That includes when he's riding a bike or driving a vehicle. In the case of a bike or vehicle, the officer should respond with a nod or verbal acknowledgment.

I've occasionally heard of similar confusion in the RAF regarding the saluting of bike riding officers. However, for us (and I believe all 3 services), the rules are clear; ultimately you're acknowledging Her Majesty's authority.

The only single service oddity I know of is the Army's habit of saluting indoors which we don't abide by unless we're entering the individual's office while wearing head dress.

9. The Army also salute without head dress (well, at least one Regiment do). It's quite odd frankly.
  10. I thought the rule was not to salute if it would put the recipient in the awkward position of not being able to return it?
  11. Never heard that.

Under certain circumstances a salute does not have to be physically returned, merely acknowledged. Similarly, if an individual is unable to salute an officer (for instance if they're carrying heavy bags), I was instructed that he or she was to effectively do an eyes right or left as appropriate. Indeed, the then Officer Cadet Mushroom was forced to do just that during IOT when carrying a hold-all in one hand and I was unable to salute properly having torn my shoulder muscles on an assault course.

I also have a vague recollection that somewhere in QRs it says (or used to) that the wives of officers should also be saluted if recognised!!!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  12. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

Saluting and bikes - its in the drill manual.
  13. The Army, saluting without headdress...or both?! :)

14. Guns

Guns War Hero Moderator

They salute inside as well. Strange people the army.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

It would be interesting what the outcome would be if someone were to squander a bit of the European Banks immoral profit made from the interest they are charging Greece, by taking it to the "Court of 'uman Rights" on this one. :)

I knew you could salute non-juggling officers on a unicycle because there aren't any handlebars, but if he was on a pussers red, ringing his bell with his right-hand thumb and carrying stuff under his left arm, I reckon it would stand-up at a Court Martial with a decent brief. :cool:

Anyway "Fleet Air Arm"? Was he wearing headgear at Flying Stations?
  16. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Blues & Royals.

The bounders.
  17. Posted this before:

When at Wyton 92(ish), I was bimbling along with a fellow killick and a Flt Lt minced past on his bike. We knew that the crabs saluted sirs on bikes but being stubborn matelots we always played the senior service card and refused, 99% of the time we got away with it.

Anyway this time Crabfat shouted “Complements Gentlemen”, my mate said “nice bike sir”. Our AEO could not hide his inner giggles when trying to show us the error of our ways.

Also when not saluting Crabs or Pongoes and if they question you why? A quick “We don’t salute on Nelsons Birthday Sir, its tradition”, usually works. :)
    • Funny Funny x 3
  18. Never saluted an officer on a bike, unless it's a RAF officer. Instead I give an acknowledgement and brace my arms down straight while still walking.
  19. With regard to saluting officers on bikes, just look the other way and pretend you didn't see him. Works for most occasions, except when reporting rounds :)
  20. Never saw a bike on 2 deck?

Oh yes I did, she was on 820 :)
    • Funny Funny x 3