Saluting Guns' Crews close up!

Discussion in 'History' started by Seaweed, Mar 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Bit of fun for you. Captions if you want to do a bit of crayoning.

[​IMG]

btw it's Hong Kong 1968.

2. That is the smallest Chief I have ever seen in my life.

Here's another salute:
    [​IMG]

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I was always of the opinion that 21-gun salutes should be fired-off via Goalkeeper for comedic value.

4. Not only would it save considerable time, manpower and hassle but it would sound cool as fcuk too. It would certainly help my current mob when we have to do 62 gun salutes at the tower. Once we had to do a 124 gun salute when the Duke of Edinburgh's birthday fell on the same day as the Queen's official birthday, it took ages.

Great idea, have you thought of submitting it to Gems?

5. The gunners would be closed up for less time too!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can see loads of benefits

6. 2DD how long did a 124 gun salute last?

Goalkeeper could do it in under 2 seconds

and a 21 gun salute would take .33333 of a second, you'd barely hear it

Don't you just love Wikipedia

I'll get me coat though just in case

7. The shots are fired at 15 second intervals, therefore, 31 minutes of firing plus the initial half hour to 45 minutes of fcuking around, standing to attention etc. plus the final 15 minutes or so of packing up.

All in all a long time.

It's happening again in 2012 I believe, hopefully we can get this goalkeeper thing up and running by then!

8. It would sound like a fart! I could think of a few dignitaries that would be appropriate for, though.

9. I thought the interval was per:

"If I wasn't a gunner, I wouldn't be here ...Fire One"
    "If I wasn't a gunner, I wouldn't be here ... Fire Two" ... etc ?

Or was a Gunnery rate taking the pee out of a poor baby sailor .... ??? :scratch:

10. From BR 2, Ch 94, Art 9403.2 (UNCLAS)

11. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

No, Whitemouse, you were not had, that mantra should deliver an exact five seconds. However Pusser did provide a stop watch for the rhythmically challenged. The trick is remembering when to stop firing as one can get quite carried awy by the fun of it all.

One used to have to know how many guns for the Yang di Pertaun Agong of Negri Sembilan etc. Think HAC don't have that problem.

12. So basically and hour and a half. Wouldn't it be easier and quicker to knock on the door and sing happy birthday to him

13. NEWCASTLE '03-04 time?