Salmond - Scotland would take ships from the RN

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by FunkyJunky, Oct 20, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been on telly that WHEN a yes votes comes, there WILL be a safe withdrawl of all nuclear weapons from scotland, HMNB Clyde will belong to them and negotiations on all defence assets will take place. That WILL include how many major surface units are handed over to scotland

Im sure I just heard that as I woke up.....:blob6:
  2. You heard right!!!!! He also said he would create a SDF...Scottish defence force....:blob6:
  3. Hahhahahahaha!!! Salmond's funny.
  4. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

He's like the anchor man on Jackanory. I love the way he ignores the facts, ie,. having to renegotiate entry into the EU and not actually having reached any agreement on what the Scots currency will be allied too. Not to forget who is going to pay for all of the freebies once the UK handouts finish and they kick the RN out of Faslav (one of the biggest employers)
  5. He was saying what would happen post the yes vote if the SNP are elected
  6. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

As that has been SNP policy for years I don't see why you are getting all upset you poor thing. Maybe you should go and have a lie down.

As to taking over ships, why not? They have been paid for by tax payers' money including taxes from Scotland and a per centage will be worked out for handover. Maybe it is time that people not in Scotland start looking at what the referendum on 18/9/2014 is all about.

If you want to lose about two weeks of your life, there is a rather large thread on ARRSE covering this very subject.
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  7. Two weeks? Two years more like. That's how long that thread can put you to sleep for.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. He's also on record as saying that the primary reason for a Scottish navy will be defence of North Sea oil rigs, which is handy for faslane, as it's so close. :)
  9. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Did he say North Sea oil rigs or just oil rigs? As there are a lot ofnew fields opening to the West of Scotland.

Rosyth would do for the North Sea, keep those pesky RumpUK pirate's away ;)
  10. I,d love for us to stay united. But, you know what? I,m bored shitless with it all. Roll on the vote, then we can settle down. **** off or stay, get it done.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Me too.Well said!
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

One thing he did say on Andrew Marr was that Scotland only had one naval port, which is technically correct, whereas England has twice as many and Wales & N Ireland each have one less. Andrew Marr asked him if Scotland would take possession of HMS Glasgow & Edinburgh to which Alex Salmond seemed to think it a good idea.

Wonder if he has thought that one through properly?
    • Like Like x 2
  13. I think Marr was using the ships names as an analogy for the Navy of England and an independent Scotland
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
  14. Ninja_Stoker

C'mon Sharkey, don't let's get truth in the way of winding-up our red-haired chums up North.
  15. In that case we could let them have HMS Edward 1st
  16. He can have HMS Campbeltown too but don't let him get his hands on HMS Montrose or HMS Inverness. They're still in service.

Just for the record, I hate the idea of the UK becoming Balkanised.
  17. First ship of their fleet to be His Majesty's [self-proclaimed 'His Most Egoistical King of Scots Salmond'] Scottish Ship Darien?

(That's right Scots, just remember why you joined the Union, England bailed out a Scottish Bank after an ill fated 'adventure'!)
  18. Ninja_Stoker

If Scotland gains independence, it makes sense to ask if England can join them.

What will be interesting, is whether Scotland intends taking its slice of the national debt as well as a share of the assets.
  19. This is all going to happen if there is a yes vote, if there is, then there will have to be an election to see who forms a government, are there any others apart from the SNP who'll chuck their hat in the ring
  20. Perhaps they can employ all those threaders Engineers who think that the sole purpose of a warship is to provide them with spanner wanking opportunities. Because those ships aren't going to be doing much else than generate UMMS tasks.
    • Like Like x 2