Sale of ex married quarters

slim

War Hero
When I left the navy in 1985 it was common practice for married quarters that were no longer required for service personnel to be offered for sale to serving members of the armed forces. Does this still happen?
I live very close to Arborfield the REME training establishment. Some years ago a large number of ex married quarters were offered for sale by a private company, though serving personnel were given a discount I think that they would have been charged a lot less if they had been available through MOD

BusterQuin

War Hero
All sales are handled by Annington Homes who are selling on quarters at vast profits. I got moved out of a quarter in Rowner because it was being sold and when I asked if we (and others in the road)could buy direct and stay in the house, the answer was no, you must join the queue. I was away at sea at the time of sale so didn't get a chance because the ex couldnt camp out due to looking after my daughter
Service personnel used to be able to buy a day early than the general public not sure if thats the case now
Some people were camping out for 6weeks, alot of them were doleys being paid to queue by private landlords because the day after the general sale St Nicholas Road was festooned with 'to let'signs
Annington's say they carry out improvements, but from what I could see the improvements consisted of recarpetting and using blue paint instead of magnolia
Yet another example of a private company taking the piss out of the MOD's commercial naivity and the ordinary servicemen missing out yet again
Still on a brighter note, I split up from the ex just after leaving the RN so I would of lost the house anyway

andym

War Hero
I remember seeing a programme a while back about Rowner.It looked like a Ghetto,places boarded up,graphitti everywhere.it looked like the place was just going to rack and ruin as the Civvy owners were reluctant to put any money back into the place.A crying shame.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Sale of Married Quaters plymouth Current Affairs 2
MoD_RSS “Unscrupulous pattern of dishonesty” at 8 charities used to launder proceeds of crime from the sale of counterfeit medication MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Steel sale to Jingye Group completes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS British Steel sale to Jungye Group completes MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UN Human Rights Council 43: UK statement for Interactive Dialogue with the Special Rapporteur on the Sale and Sexual Exploitation of Children MoD News 0
soleil FB: Navy News: February 2020 Edition Now On Sale The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS CMA secures improvements to Currys’ sale of extended warranties MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sale of Thomas Cook’s UK retail estate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Two benzoyl peroxide products to treat mild acne affecting the face to go on general sale MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New system to ensure safety of self-driving vehicles ahead of their sale MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First allergy test for hair dye to go on general sale MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Sussex criminal sentenced for laundering proceeds from the sale of black-market medicines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Loans sale to return £4.9 billion to UK taxpayers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: CMA orders sale of customer contracts in washroom suppliers’ merger MoD News 0
O Disgusted Home of Dambusters up for Sale Diamond Lil's 28
MoD_RSS News story: UK agrees sale of HMS Ocean to Brazil MoD News 5
GunnerWafu For Sale UPO 25
soleil Army v Navy 2017 Tickets On Sale Sports and Adventure Training 3
W Navy Sword for Sale UPO 5
SuperNexus A sad end rfa diligence stealthy put up for sale Current Affairs 49
MoD_RSS News story: MOD completes sale of Old War Office MoD News 2
Dusty31 Former HMS Beagle up for sale The Gash Barge 5
Seaweed Sword belt and gaiters for sale The Quarterdeck 2
MoD_RSS News story: £140 million contract signed for sale of Defence Support Group MoD News 1
soleil Mail: "One For Hovering Buyers: Harrier Jump Jet For Sale" The Fleet Air Arm 3
scouse Best table ever for sale The Fleet Air Arm 3
BillyNoMates Car boot sale. Plymouth Argyll car park. Diamond Lil's 18
scouse Pussers holdalls for sale Diamond Lil's 10
soleil Sale Of The Old War Office Building The Gash Barge 3
soleil Sale Of The Old War Office Building...unexplained death Bases / Shore Est 11
B Uniform for sale? RMR 14
soleil Mail: "Secret Command Centre Used By Winston Churchill Goes Up For Sale" History 1
scouse Sea Venom for Sale The Fleet Air Arm 8
A Royal navy handbook for sale The Book Club 10
F Man reports 'ugly' prostitute to cops under sale of goods act. The Gash Barge 12
scouse Buccaneers for Sale The Fleet Air Arm 4
soleil Mountbatten Festival 2013 - Tickets On Sale Monday 7th January 2013 The Corps 1
K AIB Prep Books "For Sale" Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
ISeeThreeShips Lord Nelson (Sword-Pistol) Goes Up For Sale History 0
D New Arrivals Christian Louboutin Sale Christian Louboutin Flats Chris The Fleet Air Arm 0
soleil Army v Navy Rugby At Twickenham - 27/04/2013 - Tickets On Sale Via The RNRU Sports and Adventure Training 68
tam Copy of the Red Sailor For Sale The Book Club 0
Waspie For Sale - Olympic cr*p Current Affairs 2
tam Copy of the Red Sailor for sale The Book Club 169
B South Atlantic Medal For Sale The Corps 3
soleil Mountbatten Festival - 12-14 April 2012 - Tickets On Sale 09/01/12 The Corps 1
trelawney126 DVLA & Private Parking. Owners Details for Sale Motoring 1
slim Car Boot Sale in aid of Help for Heroes Bracknell Berkshire Diamond Lil's 3
scouse Buccs Hunters and Lightnings for sale!!! The Fleet Air Arm 14
soleil Independent: "HMS Ark Royal Sale Deadline Extended" The Fleet 3