Sailors Dismissed For Drug Offences

sgtpepperband said:
Nutty said:
As a really old phart who was around in the days of the Tot and probably excessive drinking I am amazed at the self righteous attitude taken by just about everybody on this thread when no comment or surprise was made about the recent evidence given at a Court Martial for an alleged sexual offence where a RN Ship at sea had all ranks enjoying a BBQ and drinking excessive amounts of beer and wine, spirits may have been taken but were not mentioned in the evidence published.

Talk about two faced double standards.

Nutty
'Nuff said. If you ask a matelot how much booze they've consumed they will likely lie to make themselves sound bigger/harder than they really are ("Ooh, I drank a whole crate last night...") but when I (as a Reggy) try to get someone to say that in a statement they suddenly develop alcohol selective amnaesia.

Bravado is one thing; admissible evidence is another. And if it was not mentioned in the published evidence the it is likely that it could not be obtained, rather than dismissed or ignored.
S-P

I think your highlighted words take it that excessive amounts of alcohol were not consumed. The evidence given and reported clearly shows that both the S/R and lady involved had consumed excess alcohol in full view and in the presence of both the ships and inspection teams officers and S/R whilst at sea.

That is what I mean by double standards not the fact that the non consumption of spirits made it all OK. A official party with excess alcohol on a warship at sea its a JOKE.

Nutty

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
I can recall, at a rate of about one a year for the years of my commissioned sea-going service, individual officers and senior and junior ratings whose lives, families and careers were totally wrecked by drink, including a Master at Arms disrated by court martial. On the one hand that's out of a sample of many hundreds, on the other, that's only the cases that came to major public notice as it were.

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Nutty said:
sgtpepperband said:
Nutty said:
As a really old phart who was around in the days of the Tot and probably excessive drinking I am amazed at the self righteous attitude taken by just about everybody on this thread when no comment or surprise was made about the recent evidence given at a Court Martial for an alleged sexual offence where a RN Ship at sea had all ranks enjoying a BBQ and drinking excessive amounts of beer and wine, spirits may have been taken but were not mentioned in the evidence published.

Talk about two faced double standards.

Nutty
'Nuff said. If you ask a matelot how much booze they've consumed they will likely lie to make themselves sound bigger/harder than they really are ("Ooh, I drank a whole crate last night...") but when I (as a Reggy) try to get someone to say that in a statement they suddenly develop alcohol selective amnaesia.

Bravado is one thing; admissible evidence is another. And if it was not mentioned in the published evidence the it is likely that it could not be obtained, rather than dismissed or ignored.
S-P

I think your highlighted words take it that excessive amounts of alcohol were not consumed. The evidence given and reported clearly shows that both the S/R and lady involved had consumed excess alcohol in full view and in the presence of both the ships and inspection teams officers and S/R whilst at sea.

That is what I mean by double standards not the fact that the non consumption of spirits made it all OK. A official party with excess alcohol on a warship at sea its a JOKE.

Nutty
No, I actually highlighted that it is difficult to prove in a Court exactly what 'excessive' means. Someone can get pissed on one tin, another might take 20 tins; it's subjective. And what people spin in the mess is not necessarily the same as what they will testify to.

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Cruiser. The beer storage was the upper 4" magazine. This was immediately below the RM barracks. The keyboard sentry was a bootie of course. Some beer went missing. Another unsolved mystery of the sea.

Ninja_Stoker said:
mickyboy said:
If they got rid of all the suppliers and takers the mob would fall apart.
I can only assume you must be on them lofty!

12,500 tested 57 positive- not exactly a huge percentage, eh?
Similar to a police 'crackdown' excuse the pun, on drinking and driving.
Usually seems that thousands have been stopped and inconvenienced but a tiny fraction actually caught.

Seaweed said:
I can recall, at a rate of about one a year for the years of my commissioned sea-going service, individual officers and senior and junior ratings whose lives, families and careers were totally wrecked by drink, including a Master at Arms disrated by court martial. On the one hand that's out of a sample of many hundreds, on the other, that's only the cases that came to major public notice as it were.
One of my principal reasons for leaving the mob was being sick and tired of decisions made on the strength of half a bottle; damn bloody dangerous decisions a lot of them.
This culture was inbred and I do not believe it can have changed that much in the intervening years.
I was posted briefly to an admiral in charge of the Med. He refused to have alcohol on the premises or in the mess. Looking back it was one of the most pleasant times in my service.
To many 'oppos' pissed as rats and expecting you to cover for them were the other side of the coin.
Enough of this, off to the pub I go!

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Welcome to DTS
The Defense Travel System (DTS) is a fully integrated, automated, end-to-end travel management system that enables DoD travelers to create authorizations (TDY travel orders), prepare reservations, receive approvals, generate travel vouchers, and receive a split reimbursement between their bank accounts and the Government Travel Charge Card (GTCC) vendor. DTS operates at over 9,500 total sites worldwide.
There were more DTS meanings but my hand was shaking so uncontrollably I couldn't read them