Sailors Dismissed For Drug Offences

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by TattooDog, May 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good to see action is still being taken against drug takers and suppliers in the RN.

BBC site:

Drugs Article

Sympathymometer - zero!

They knew the risks.
  2. If they got rid of all the suppliers and takers the mob would fall apart. i agree they should be kicked out and believe in zero tolerance but they will never stop it completly
  3. If they got rid of the suppliers, stores would be for issuing instead of storing :)

Seriously though, I agree with TattooDog ... but forget their risks - they would have been putting their comrades at risk.
  4. "This episode demonstrates that the Royal Navy does not tolerate drug abuse," she said.

Yeah Right, 57 bods, manpower for what? It doesnt say what rate or rank.
  5. There were 4 not 5 kicked out fom Portland, one discharged SNLR, one summary trial and two courts martial, one got 90 days One got 60 days and the other 120 days. :oops:
  6. The article just says 57 tested positive. You can test positive if you're given won't get kicked out tho' because it would have been given legally. I have also been informed by medical staff that Codeine will produce a positive result at CDT.
  7. Every time I have been tested I had to declare anything I had taken in the preceeding two weeks, including paracetamol or brufen.
  8. A mate of mine is a Customs officer and he told me the same thing regarding Codeine. When I worked for the railway we had to tell management if we were taking anything, even if we were not being tested. Best to play it safe as most of the "ingredients" of some medicines I have taken in the past make no sense to me :oops: so its best to play safe with that sort of thing.

9. Anybody that takes illegal drugs is a liability and so I'm glad to see that they've been given the heave-ho.
  10. the only way to keep the RN zero tolerance is to keep testing and discharge SNLR... was tested last week for the second time in 19 years...obviously testing not been in that long but not that much of a deteranant if thats the way they test...wouldn't even risk my pension for cheap thrills though
  11. Good news, weed the scum out (pardon the pun).
    Drug and alcohol testing is becoming more widespread in the offshore industry as well.
    In my opinion, drug testing should not be random but routine, the trouble with druggies is that they are chancers by their nature and keep thinking they will get away with it.
    Drug takers are a liability and a disgrace to the service and should be dismissed immediately.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I can only assume you must be on them lofty!

12,500 tested 57 positive- not exactly a huge percentage, eh?
  13. Perhaps you have not been tested so frequently because you were not in a high risk establishment. Consider how often and when the CDT team go to say - Collingrad or Sultan - usually the first day back after leave.

Like stop and search - there is little point in stopping old ladies with shopping trollies.
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Any more than stopping someone wearing a hijab in case they maybe an escaping terrorist?
  15. That may have been true once but todays little old ladies are now yestrday's hippies. There are quite a few now being convicted of serious drugs dealing and there is growing evidence of pensioners being used as couriers for all sorts of nefarious doings. After all we are seeing white islamic radicals and so on.
  16. Ninja_Stoker

Lest we forget, HM The Boss went for a curry only last week. :lol:
  17. Does that include "blowbacks"? :p
  18. Of course not. :afro: When in Ghana..........
  19. Remember from my time in the Pusser the Act always specified for most if not all offences "Two years or any lesser punishment authorised by the Act." Let's start giving these people 2 years and see if that has any deterrent effect - unless the Act has been changed since 1979 ?
  20. Ninja_Stoker

My understanding, although not expert in this, with regard CDT is that under English (Scottish too?) Law you cannot be compelled to give evidence against yourself.

Therefore as random drug testing is compulsory, you cannot be charged for taking drugs revealed by CDT, simply dismissed as it contravenes the Armed Forces Act.

To that end, when you leave the service for drugs offences detected under CDT, you do not incur a criminal conviction.

Strange, but true.

Unless anyone knows different...