Sailor Loses Appeal Against Bearing Arms

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by trelawney126, Oct 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Damn right too

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Coward.

It's a great pity those drawing a wage in Her Majesty's Armed Forces under false pretences aren't forced to repay the entire sum fraudulently claimed by way of wages.

• Like Like x 2
  3. What he said!

2BM

4. wal

wal Badgeman

Who lets them in, in the first place. That what I want to know???

5. It's not out of the question that he didn't have 'conshie' stamped on his forehead when he entered the AFCO.

6. Why would you join one of the armed forces and then refuse to bear arms? Speaks of a deeply contrary nature and a lack of intelligence, if you ask me.

7. You'd follow every order to the letter would you? Even if it was as far fetched as lining up an unarmed family outside their house and slotting them?

8. No. What a bizarre question.
    How do you extrapolate being ordered to attend weapons training to being ordered to commit a war crime?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  9. I think you've gone way off piste there Monty. The difference between obeying a lawful order and committing murder are poles apart. Matey boy was tried and convicted for disobeying a lawful order, the fact it involved an arms course is a relatively moot point, whatever his alleged beliefs.

10. 'The court heard that Lyons has four weeks left to serve' four weeks left - what a ********* !

11. Maybe, it was a loose example of people's limits and a point that people don't blindly do as they're told. Some people might be of the opinion that if they were at war and were told by their superiors to shoot, they'd do so. Does not being allowed to assist a fragged kid constitute a war crime? No. But in some minds it's criminal. He was under the impression he was there to help, not add to the damage.

How many people knew about the Falklands before they went? Bosnia? Iraq? Many people don't really consider what is going on in a particular conflict until they are called on to go, it is at that point people may do a bit of research and find out things they are uncomfortable with and decide that it's not for them.

Out of curiosity, those on this thread who believe him to be a coward and to have no place in the armed forces. What are the opinions on those that have been to Afghanistan but say they'd bang out if asked to go again?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  12. What you say may or may not be true and I don't believe I've ever called hom a coward however when you put on the uniform you may be called on to do things you find unsavoury (slaughtering cattle wasn't in any TOR that I've ever seen ie mad cow disease fiasco) but the fact remains if you are given a LAWFUL order you have to obey and slap in the drip chit afterwards. There are other ways he could have gone about this other than going for direct dis and bringing the papers in to it.

13. Whatever I think of this man, I'd never call him a coward. It could be said that he is less of a coward than someone who follows an order he is unhappy with because he fears the consequences of disobeying it.

14. What I don't understand is why he was dismissed from service? He's already gone to Colchester for failing to attend the course, and that should have been the end of it. What is the point of sending someone to DQ's and then dismissing them from naval service?

15. It was ever thus. He'll have been seen as a focus of disaffection and with Afghanistan bubbling away the brass can't be seen to be letting him get away with it. I've known blokes to work their SNLR ticket that way.

16. What a poof!

No offense to the gay homos out there.

17. Ah, now things should pick up. We have an experienced war veteran to throw his considered view into the arena.

18. Surely a gay homo would be straight?

Oh no, I see you've added poof which brings him back to gay I suppose.

Pissy pants.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Yes an odd one.

Never known it happen before.