Sailor (1976 BBC Documentary)

FMAA Tom Wilkinson is still alive and retired to Somerset. He is one of only two living, Honorary members of the Aircraft Handlers Association.
Roofs

If memory serves, the MO was Nick Baldock who, last time I saw him was a Surgeon Commodore.

He said to me "Fucks Me! They've made you a PO?"

I replied "Fucks me! They've made you a Commodore?" Swiftly followed by "I'll get the kettle on".

Top bloke and great fun to work for.

My brother was a tiff on the Ark Royal when I was at Raliegh I was out in rig at the standard in torpoint and the Landlord nicked my cap being a 16 year old in basic training I was shit scared until a bunch of Ark Royal Matelots Including my Brother gave the Landlord two options give the cap back or have his pub smashed up , her his now President of Rockwell International (Asia Pacific)

Regard Wilf the puppet, the guy who had 'Wilf' was REM John Pooley - he was a matelot and not a boot neck (sorry Royal's). He was still with HM Coatguard last I was aware. :wink:

fleetchief said:
lesbryan said:
Don't know about the others but I'm pretty certain the "subbie that went on to be a pilot" is now Rear Admiral Chris Parry
Is that the same parry of heicopter rescue fame in the falklands???

I think he was Obs on helo that attacked Santa Fe with AS missile.
He certainly was. He was part of HMS Antrim’s flight which took out the Santa Fe down South Georgia :wink:

malspal said:
slim said:
The padre was an Irish guy name of Jim I think his surname was Macormac known as Father Jim to all and sundry. Great bloke used to loan his 8mm projector to various messes so they could watch the films (blue variety) Always used to ask what the film was. If it was one he hadn't seen he would personally deliver said projector if he had seen it you collected it from his cabin.
Heineken don't do Padre's but if they did it would be Father Jim.
He wasn't shy about coming down the mess for a beer either :wink:
Bernard Marshall was the main lead regard the 'Padre' side of things during the filming of 'Sailor'. He continued his career in the RN. I last saw him in 1984 at HMS Drake in Guzz. :wink:

Jimbo3188 said:
I though the padre's surname was Marshall?

(Although there were 3 on board - this is the one that featured in the film).

Jimbo
Bernard Marshall was the Padre - he carried on for a full career in the RN. I last saw in in 1984 at HMS Drake. :roll:

The Communicators who served on HMS Ark Royal 73-78 will be holding their annual reunion in London this year and I am please to let you know that one of our guests will be Rear Admiral Wilfred Jackson Graham RN Rtd now 85, who will be popping in to see us on the Friday evening and meeting and greeting our members on Saturday morning.

Also attending as guests will be "Little Wilf" and his master John Pooley, FMAA Tom Wilkinson and director of the TV series SAILOR John Purdie.

Any members of RR who served as Communicators or Gollies 1973-1978 on HMS Ark Royal please PM me if you are interested in attending this years reunion.

David Cowling was my father. He died in 1977, probably as a result of involvement in the Christmas Island testing programme. Any memories you have of him would be very welcome; I was 11 and my brother was 8 when he died.

Ark Royal Communicators held their annual reunion at the Union Jack Club 10-12 September. Honoured guests were our old Captain Wilfred Graham (Big Wilf), FMAA Tom Wilkinson and REM John Pooley with Little Wilf.

The skipper arrived around 1830 Friday and was met off the train by 3 of our members. He really was excited by the whole occasion and the reception he got when he arrived in the main bar around 1900 was both spontaneous and a little emotional as everyone stood and applauded the great man in. He stayed chatting for a couple of hours and left the others
to see the night out.

Saturday FMAA Tom along with his wife Sheila arrived as did John Pooley carrying a suspicious package. Expectation was at fever pitch for the organisers but the q and a session went well with amusing and heartfelt stories from all the guests. Little Wilf was released from the bag and gave a 15 minute show where all us winkers had a right laugh.

Tom, Sheila and John were left to help themselves in the restaurant. It was expected the skipper would join them but he was having none of it. He wanted to be out with the boys and so we all proceeded to the London Eye
and the 4D cinema, We then took the river boat trip to HMS Belfast for a visit before it was time to get the skipper back in time for his train.

At this point some went back to the UJC and the remainder took the visit around the Foreign Office where one of our members gave us an extremely well presented guide and access to many a no go area where mobiles and cameras were probably not meant to be taken.

After all that it was time to muster in the main bar of the UJC to swing the lamp long into the night

emma_cowling_taylor said:
David Cowling was my father. He died in 1977, probably as a result of involvement in the Christmas Island testing programme. Any memories you have of him would be very welcome; I was 11 and my brother was 8 when he died.
Emma, Captain Graham spoke fondly of your father at our reunion and many of us remembered him also. Do you have the SAILOR tv series on DVD? Your father appears often in that programme.

I served on the Ark during that deployment, ( think it was called Westland Deployment) she was my first ship, Wilf Graham was a brilliant Captain, always had time to speak to you, and if remember rightly was quite fond of visiting the engineerig spaces during middle watches, one evening telling us in A Engine room "not too many homeward bounders I hope".

I only visited Commanders table table once and had a real rollicking for being ten minutes adrift for HQ2 during a RAS, just to jot down the revs on the port screws, bloody boring job !!.

I am ex 5Wz0 mess, right under the aft lift, you didn't get much sleep if they were playing with the parrafin pigeons, which was every bloody day.

Just gotten hold of a copy of Sailor on DVD for my grandfather. His father worked on Ark when she was building.....for a hell of a long time of building. And the hull was a huge landmark in Birkenhead for much of my Grandfathers early life so its been a nice reminder for him. Plus a great programme :)

FMAA Tom Wilkinson is still alive and retired to Somerset. He is one of only two living, Honorary members of the Aircraft Handlers Association.
Roofs
Hi can anyone please help I am trying to find Tom Wilkinson as he is a blood relative of mine any information would be much appreciated as I would like to give him the chance to at least know who I am. THANKS Claire

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil History 3
slim Blue Jokes 0
RNFLUNKY The Quarterdeck 68