Sailor (1976 BBC Documentary)

A mate of mine was serving on Ariadne when The Ark had its sailing run ashore in Guzz. He told me it is his hand (I think) that you can see trying to bash the strippers foot on the stage in Lils.

Watched on a Westlant deployment on the Ark in 1991 A huge number of the Wardroom had served on the Ark at the time of the making of the series as JRs or SRs and it was great hearing some of the background.

Any news on the Commander, David Cowling? theres a few guys on the HMS Yarmouth Website would be interested to know! He drove that one for a couple of years! There's a rumour he's "crossed the bar" which would be sad!

Redsailor

Lantern Swinger
I know in the follow up clips on the DVD set they showed where everyone ended up. The bootneck who operated 'Little Wilf' the puppet was shown working for the Coastguard and singing his dits in his spare time in local pubs. His puppet act was inspired and well received and looked forward to by the whole crew. Wonder what he's doing now? The theme song alone must have earned Rod Stewart another fortune in royalties by now.

Red Sailor

I was there. Joined the Ark in 75 in Rosyth and then first Christmas and New Year pulled duty onboard. Off to the States. managed to get myself in front of the camera a couple of times. Once coming back onboard a little pissed and once on the bridge.

I last heard of Tony heading up the SCC unit at Culdrose (2005), though I understand that the SCC has lost its foothold at the Air Station. I believe that still resides in the Helston area.

Tony was certainly, I think, running one of the divisions at Raleigh (Pellew?) in 2004 when I was on the staff of Fisgard. Remember a fairly lengthy mess dinner sat between him and Rick Jolly....

Don't know about the others but I'm pretty certain the "subbie that went on to be a pilot" is now Rear Admiral Chris Parry
Is that the same parry of heicopter rescue fame in the falklands???

I served with an AB Dabber on the Roebuck, who legend has, was the guy who smacks his head coming up the brow on the opening credits, he was a baby gunner on his first draft. We watched it in the mess one night and took the p**s out of him for hours about his haircut and the enormous flairs he was wearing. He'd reached the dizzy heights of killick and got busted and was happy as a pig in muck.

Happy Days, life was a lot simpler

Nice to see this thread, I too was on board her at the time on my second tour the first being from Jan '72, both with 824 Sqdn Sea Kings.
For a while I was Chiefs messman dear old Tom the MAA always bought me a pint when I was serving behind the bar, truly one of the best.
Twinkle Powell I knew well, he was a real rouge but knew all the doges.
I recently showed the dvd to my son and he was amazed lol.......was I ever that young and brassy.
I have been in touch with a few guys over the years, but would like to find more.
Recently came into contact with one of our pilots now down under.
I was in one of the episodes....it was fun.
So many years gone by now........but I still have very vivid memories of the dear old girl and all of us
who had the honor to be on the LAST great carrier of the RN.

Seaking824 said:
So many years gone by now........but I still have very vivid memories of the dear old girl and all of us
who had the honor to be on the LAST great carrier of the RN.
Are you implying that QE and PoW are not going to be great CVs, or that they're not going to be built?

My wife turned up with a two video box set of this series[car boot 50p]
It was sort of cringy in places for me but OK.
It never surprised me that the steward was divorced,any girl friend or whatever who says she does not mind if he has affairs should ring alarm bells.
Most messmates I knew would have walked away but then again the hope of a life in Florida has a great deal of attraction compared to Pompey in winter!

From what I remember on the marriage, her family was loaded. When they got back to the UK she ended
up working as a cashier in some big store, I guess a major step down in her life style.

lesbryan said:
Don't know about the others but I'm pretty certain the "subbie that went on to be a pilot" is now Rear Admiral Chris Parry
Is that the same parry of heicopter rescue fame in the falklands???

I think he was Obs on helo that attacked Santa Fe with AS missile.

Mum used to get me up out of bed to watch this when I was a nipper (it must have been on late!). It had a profound influence on me (as did the ARK when growing up in Guzz in the 70's). It was the Navy I wanted to join, but by 1990 the old girl was gone, as were the 'Tooms and Bucc's :(

Still, I made sure that R07 was my first ship and I got my ARK ROYAL cap tally :)

WhiteRose

Lantern Swinger
Aaaahhhhhh, Sailor. Cue misty eyed vision of long hot summers and innocent youth. Happy days.

My dad has a copy of the documentary he was in... Warship Eagle, from 1966. Now there's a classic. Bits of it are on You Tube, I think.

malspal

Lantern Swinger
slim said:
The padre was an Irish guy name of Jim I think his surname was Macormac known as Father Jim to all and sundry. Great bloke used to loan his 8mm projector to various messes so they could watch the films (blue variety) Always used to ask what the film was. If it was one he hadn't seen he would personally deliver said projector if he had seen it you collected it from his cabin.
Heineken don't do Padre's but if they did it would be Father Jim.
He wasn't shy about coming down the mess for a beer either :wink:

Hi,
I have the Video set and the DVD set. Lost count of how many times I have watched them now. Anyone know if MAA Tom Wilkinson is still with us. I was in the Royal Naval ReserveH.M.S. Calliope, Tyne Division) in the mid 1970`s to the early 1980`s.
Martin

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil History 3
slim Blue Jokes 0
RNFLUNKY The Quarterdeck 68