Sailing Yachts at Faslane.

Discussion in 'Bases / Shore Est' started by Jolly_Jack, Feb 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me if a tiny little sailing Yacht called “ Fiasco†is still berthed at Faslane Naval Base? Have very fond memories of sailing it whilst try to dodge Submarines. :lol:

2. Can't tell you if Fiasco is still there but many happy day run-outs in the Bosuns at Faslane during the mid-80s. Used to take the jennies out and scare them half to death, tacking up and down the loch. Used to go over to the hotel on the opposite side (lochside hotel?) for an afternoon beverage. Used to take em out with a Chief Tiff called 'The Goose' McAngus. Wonder if he's still about?

3. yes the fiasco is still at the sailing centre, my daughter was pumping her out this mornig

4. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Clynder Hotel perhaps? Relatively easy to reach from the beach and certainly on the West Side of the Gareloch a couple of miles down from Faslane. It'd gone though, the last time I was in Clynder a couple of years ago.

5. The Clynder Hotel was too far up the loch . The one I think they mean is the one that you go past not long after leaving Garelochhead going towards Clynder------------its got a nice easy mooring jetty on it and the beer and food is quite good.Its among trees so you have to look for it.

6. I think the hotel was the Dalandhui, which was burned and the site is redeveloped to housing.

Many a useful pint downed there.

7. Sailed on "Scorcher" (Sigma 32?) had a fantastic week in the late 80s. Long since gone I supose?

8. Scorcher IV now, I believe. Search Results News

I used to sail (midge-free) in Scorcher's predecessor in the '70's; 'Rhumb Go' I think 'twas......

9. Was the "Sailing Officer" in Barrow and got a Drascombe Coaster from Faslavatory on Coniston. Used it to "run in" the Gemini outboard, for something that was only supposed to have an 8hp. 40hp didnt half make it shift